It's time Minecraft players. The RTX beta for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition is now live. If you have an RTX video card, you can join the beta and let your RTX-powered Minecraft shine. If you're not sure of what you're missing, enjoy the trailer put out by NVIDIA.
We've already put a post out detailing what this beta has in store, which you can check out here: https://www.minecraftforum.net/news/60765-nvidia-announces-minecraft-with-rtx
This beta is open for all players who own Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition. If you do not own it but have owned Java Edition for several years, you have a few more days to cash in on the deal offered by Mojang (that deal expires on the 20th, don't delay!)
Do note, that to enjoy this, you will need to have an RTX-series graphics card, as they support the necessary features for this to work. This means a 2000-series NVIDIA GPU. Sadly, if you do not have a RTX card, you can't run the RTX features of the game.
If those images though aren't interesting enough for you, why don't you see a world tour? (This isn't actually Earth, but hey, it looks amazing!)
To enable RTX features:
- Pause the game, go to “Advanced Video” settings, and toggle the “DirectX Ray Tracing” option
- You can quickly turn ray tracing on and off by pressing semicolon “;”
You will only be able to use RTX features on the 6 worlds published to the Minecraft Marketplace during the beta. These worlds are free though, so don't fret about having to buy them.
When creating a world from one of the RTX template worlds:
- Under Game Settings, select “Unlock Template World Options”
- Choose the option to “Unlock All Settings”
- You can now set the default game mode to Creative Mode and Activate Cheats to enable console commands from chat
- From the “Cheats” options, for capturing screenshots it may be useful to disable Weather Cycle and Do Daylight Cycle and the in-game Render Clouds option from Advanced Video
To join the beta:
- Install the Xbox Insider Hub app on your PC (it is available for free in the Windows Store).
- Inside the app, click on the open box icon in the sidebar on the left.
- On the Insider content screen, you will see a beta available for Minecraft for Windows 10. Click on the Minecraft for Windows 10 beta.
- Click the “Join” button at the bottom of the screen.
- On the following pop-up, you will see three radio buttons- one will be for Minecraft RTX Beta, one for Minecraft Beta, one for Unenroll. Choose Minecraft RTX Beta, then click Done.
- If you have automatic updates turned on from the Windows Store, Minecraft will automatically update to the latest RTX beta build available.
NVIDIA has also prepared several guides that you may find useful if you want to play with the RTX builds.
- PBR Texturing Guide - learn how to make your textures use the new RTX features
- Unofficial Java to Bedrock World Conversion Guide - learn how to convert your worlds from the Java Edition to the Bedrock Edition
If you're not able to enjoy the RTX experience, you can still enjoy the Bedrock beta builds which have previews of what is coming to the game, which you can read more about here.
You can leave feedback, images, or other comments about this beta on our megathread located here: https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft/discussion/3015465-rtx-beta-megathread-discussion
You can view the full write-up by NVIDIA at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-with-rtx-beta-out-now-download-play