Minecon is over, and the planned direction for 1.11 is now clear - the Exploration Update will have a strong focus on Survival Mode, with an eye towards (unsurprisingly, given the name) exploration. Neat!
For example, villages will now have a newcomer to their workforce, the Cartographer! For a fee of emeralds, players can obtain maps that will lead them to underwater temples, as well as the new Woodland Mansion. The aforementioned mansions contain distant relatives to the common villager - known as "Illagers," naturally - who are hostile to outsiders. The mansions themselves are procedurally generated, so each one may be a bit of a surprise.
In a twist on the Ender Chest (which stores items in a sort of shared null-space that players can access from any other Ender Chest), the Shulker Box also makes its debut. The new box holds items much as any chest would, but with a caveat: even if the box is knocked down, all of the items inside will remain stored in the box, without spilling all over the floor.
Everyone knows that llamas are here, but what makes them different from the common horse, or cow? Besides spitting, they have one incredibly useful function - you can equip chests on llamas, turning them into pack animals. Create a caravan! Never worry about having to go all the way home to empty all of your ill-gotten gains again! (Unless the llama dies, but still.)
For the moment, the changelog is as cryptic as ever. We will update as specifics are revealed:
CHANGELOG (via RedstoneHelper)
CustomPotionColorint tag for potions and potion arrows to overwrite/set the color
Switched the Done and Reset Keys buttons on the controls screen for consistency
Maps now work in the end
- Occur in loot tables
- Curse of Binding for armor items - unequippable, even by death (but you don't keep it after respawning)
- Curse of Vanishing - item disappears on death, overridden by keepInventory gamerule
Observer block from MCPE
Portals to escape the end islands are now randomly generated along with the islands
Shulkers now drop Shulker Shells, used to craft Shulker Boxes
- Crafting recipe
- 27 item slots for any non-shulker box items
- Can be destroyed by pistons
- Can be mined by hand
- Can be placed by dispensers
- Opening and closing animation similar to that of shulkers
- 16 colors, changeable by crafting with dye
Cartographer villagers and treasure maps
- Cartographer career for librarians who now sell treasure maps
- Treasure maps display the biome outline of their respective biome
- Ocean exploration map for ocean monuments
- Woodland exploration map for woodland mansions
- Small player dot to indicate far away destinations
/locate command to locate the nearest structure of a certain type
- New dungeon
- "Procedurally generated house"
- "End game challenge"
- 3 new villager-looking mobs live inside
- Drop emeralds
- Attack villagers
- Fangs attack
- Summons Vexes which can fly and clip through blocks
- Drops Totem of Undying
- Resurrects you on death if held
- Gives regeneration and absorption effects to help survive followup damage
- Fights using an iron axe
- Ridable, chestable for 6 inventory slots, tameable, leashable
- Carpets with fancy patterns (but no customization options) instead of saddles
- Spitting attack
- Attack wolves, wolves run away like skeletons from wolves
- Will form a caravan following led llamas
- [Bug MC-58677] - GUI has inconsistent capitalization
- [Bug MC-92139] - Too many tipped arrows in the “Combat” section of the creative inventory
- [Bug MC-106077] - Missing sound files (largeblast1.ogg / largeblast_far1.ogg) because of CamelCase in 1.11.json
- [Bug MC-107154] - Junk potion from fishing is uncraftable potion
- [Bug MC-107165] - Brewing icon displays the incorrect color in Creative inventory tab
- [Bug MC-107166] - Experience bottles produce pink particles.
- [Bug MC-107170] - writeString method of PacketBuffer is not creating correct exception text
- [Bug MC-107284] - disabling shields with axes doesn’t work
- [Bug MC-107320] - Sort order of command autocomplete confusing
Please report any and all bugs you find in Minecraft to bugs.mojang.com. If nobody reports a bug, daylight will never come, and we want to go home!
To get snapshots, open your launcher and press the “New Profile” button. Call it “snapshots” and check the box saying “Enable experimental development snapshots” and save. To switch to the normal version, you can select it in the dropdown at the bottom left corner of the launcher. Back up your world first or run the game on in a different folder (See the “new profile” dialog). Snapshots can corrupt your world, please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
Cross-platform server jar: Minecraft server jar