If there's one question that seems to be on everyone's minds, it's, (rightfully so), what the heck is the enormous frame of unbreakable new blocks in the center of the Deep Dark City? I wanted to record my personal theory, (and my thoughts on others), in this thread. Please share any ideas or suggestions you have about this topic!
- Mojang has stressed they don't intend to add any new dimensions until all existing areas of the game have been updated. (In particular, I think this means the Overworld's biomes for the Wild Update, and the End in a subsequent update.)
- The fact that Mojang has not revealed the function of the frame yet, (nor outright denied various theories regarding its purpose), suggest it does has some purpose. Furthermore, the rarity and difficulty of the cities, (compared with the somewhat lacking loot), suggests it will be a function well worth the risk.
- ...The Frame is weirdly large compared to the other two existing portals in the game. (Nether portals can be of a similar size, but the ones we find naturally generating in the game are not.)
...In spite of Mojang's suggestions about overhauling existing parts of the game, it's entirely possible the most obvious solution is, in fact, the right one. I do not think this is the case, (for several reasons), but I don't want to entirely rule it out. ...That being said...
- The Deep Dark already has enough unique features, that it's hard to picture an entire new dimension based off of it. (On a larger note, the three existing dimensions are already distinct enough that it's hard for me to imagine a fourth dimension at all, when there's already an overworld, underground, and sky themed dimension in the game.)
- Again, there's the issue of so many other things, (namely the End and Overworld Biomes), needing updating, (and already having updates confirmed to some extent), that it's hard to imagine an entire new dimension just coming out of nowhere.
- ...Plus, the Deep Dark has already been delayed once before. I seriously doubt another enormous expansion would be in the works.
Another idea is that the Deep Dark Frames will serve as some sort of portals between cities, allowing players to travel instantaneously. ...I actually think this is more plausible than the first idea, but still falls apart pretty easily. Consider:
- The Nether is already used for long distance transportation.
- This wouldn't be very helpful, firstly because of the rarity and random locations of the cities, and secondly because of the difficulty of getting to them. A place that frequently spawns terrifying soul abominations isn't exactly the best place to build a travel hub. (Honestly, there is literally no worse place in the overworld to try to build a travel hub.)
- ...It also makes little sense given the shape and size of the frame. If you were going to implement some sort of teleportation system, something like Waystones would be much more sensible.
Reverse Portal Theory
Another idea suggests that the frame is a portal, but not a portal for us- that instead, the portal lets something in.
...Again, it could be possible, but I honestly don't have any idea how this would work. The city itself is far from ideal as a boss arena, (it's clearly designed for the warden, not something else.) I don't really have much more to say about this idea.
Perhaps the portal grants some sort of special, never seen before upgrade to the player upon passing through. ...Again, it's possible, but seems unlikely, or at the very least underwhelming... and to me, not nearly as amazing and inarguable as my personal theory, which is as follows:
Personally, I think the portal is a work in progress, and has something to do with an upcoming End Update, possibly replacing strongholds as the means of accessing an overhauled End-Dimension. This isn't just a hunch, I have a couple of reasonings for this particular theory: (Again- theory! Theories are hardly set in stone, and are up for debate.)
- Mojang has deliberately avoided mentioning anything about the Portal, or the Strongholds in the past few updates- the strongholds in particular being quite outdated. ('Otherside,' for example, can be found in both the Strongholds, and the Deep Dark.)
- It would make sense to keep the function of the frame secret if an end update is in the works- revealing the function of the portal would spoil the theme of the next update, (and might serve as a letdown to the community if the Wild Update hadn't yet been released.)
- From a Gameplay perspective, (...as well as a lore perspective?) the Deep Dark makes far more sense as a means of accessing the End than the Stronghold, which hardly poses any threat to the player. (Though it's unclear how Eyes of Ender would interact with this, if at all.)
- Strongholds are one of the older structures in the game, and, (unlike mineshafts, and to a lesser extent, dungeons); recieved no changes whatsoever with a new update deliberately devoted to the underground.
...These are just my thoughts, but I'd love to hear your theories regarding the frame! (...Either way, we'll know soon enough.)