Quote from Xaphiosis
Hi. I'm trying to get Minecraft involved in my musical education, so your mod is fun (I'm using it in FTBs latest Monster pack (1.0.3)). Some feedback:
- the 1.6.4 version link in your main post points to 1.6.2
- placing netherrack next to a note block that's on grass/dirt (piano) prevents the note block from making a sound (visual feedback correctly indicates lowered octave, but no sound is emitted; adding a soundfont does not help)
- I like the note block editing feature; consider adding a key combo to edit existing signs without having to destroy them first, otherwise it's a bit awkward. In FTB, there's a sponge eraser item that allows you to edit signs, and that's pretty convenient.
- the menus are rather cluttered, e.g. it took me a long(ish) while to figure out that something I was looking for was on the current screen but invisible until I clicked the green recycle/reload button
- I can't figure out how the jukebox/noteblock playing areas work, but this could be my failing.
Since I don't see a link to source code for me to play around, consider this crazy idea: what I'm looking for is a note block for which I can pick any MIDI instrument and tune it to any note. When redstone signal is applied, send noteOn; when removed, send noteOff. Combined with something (item? key combo?) that allows copying the exact setup of such a note block and batch-applying it to a bunch of others would make a fun environment to make interactive musical games (identify interval, pitch training in minecraft!)
Thanks for the feedback! Immediately after you posted, I corrected the download link, and I am considering each of your suggestions.
- The "no noteblock sound" bug is a result of the new Resource Packs in Minecraft 1.6. I will update MineTunes to _really_ use Forge in Minecraft 1.7, and register sounds properly. This should also clear up any bugs with SFX Instruments.
- Sign editing would only work in single player. Nevertheless, I will consider it for the next update.
- The next update will feature clearer menus.
- The next update will also come with a fresh example world, with all the new voice synthesis and BlockTune features in pride of place.
- BlockTunes are your MIDI noteblocks, and they are a blast in multiplayer.
MineTunes is open source. Feel free to ping me with any questions, and thanks for playing MineTunes!