If you are crouching/in a minecart/ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU SMALLER, you are going to fall through whatever block it is you just relogged on. Normally it just glitches, and you land on the block below it, allowing you to jump back up.
If there is nothing below the block, you will fall through it and in your case, die.
- Registered Member
Member for 10 years, 6 months, and 9 days
Last active Tue, Nov, 19 2013 10:49:24
- 0 Followers
- 643 Total Posts
- 16 Thanks
Aug 22, 2011Posted in: 1.8 Update DiscussionQuote from Matthewrob
Its funny that the guy who made this topic stopped talking. He thought hes so tough, yet hes probably younger then 5.
There's this one little thing that humans need to survive.
Perhaps he's outside, enjoying the sunshine and the lovely weather, or he may be in SCHOOL.
Please use the bit of gray matter that you have before posting something.
Aug 21, 2011Posted in: 1.8 Update DiscussionQuote from Matthewrob
Heh, so is my computer, chromes good. Did you like my poem?
I hope you did, I made it myself HEHEHEH (sounding like a little girl)
I came from the OT board to see what is going on in beta, just to quench my thirst.
I see a positive uprising against the weak (Good) Then I spy you, harassing one guy (ONE), over his OWN DAMN OPINION over ONE MOB CHANGE.
Seriously Notch, just go balls out and make a freaking atom bomb plane that wipes a 1klick^2 area around you clean, devestating that lovely wooden home (YUCK) that you built.
I am seriously disappointed with how you behave, behind your little LCD shield, throwing out bland threats, etc.
Oh, and you spelled you're wrong, just thought that I'd let you know.
As for the rest of you, please carry on discussing.
Jul 4, 2011casa posted a message on Information and Offical Discussion about Bill S.978It's quite the opposite of people's reactions. You REALLY have to read in between the lines on US Bills.Posted in: General Off Topic
For instance, Companies aren't that stupid to reject Machinama and other money-making companies, and they've already gotten written consent from the various game companies to do such things. It's probably already in their ToS, which nobody readsand could therefore get lots of people in trouble.
I think that it says that you have to earn money to object the bill and get arrested/pay fines.
Most of the little ten-year olds making their CoD videos aren't going to be targeted, because:
A. They are ten. Derr.
B. They make nothing whatsoever off of the videos.
C. They wouldn't know otherwise.
All in all, it's an utterly pointless bill that just superinstates what is already going on between companies now. If someone takes the game, makes something out of it, (ex Machinima), and doesn't ask the company once they start making money, then the company can file a lawsuit and perhaps get something big out of it, but if the EX is intelligent, they'll get permission and all will be fine.
Jun 4, 2011casa posted a message on What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?It depends on how fast a bin-laden swallow travels.Posted in: General Off Topic
Jun 4, 2011casa posted a message on I'm in love with the girl I can't believe in myself to get.Oh, and keep us posted on what happens, if you need any extra help.Posted in: General Off Topic
Jun 3, 2011casa posted a message on I'm in love with the girl I can't believe in myself to get.- Does is seem like she is interested in me?Posted in: General Off Topic
One would assume so.
- HOW DO I TALK TO HER AND EXPLAIN I'D LOVE TO SEE A NICE MOVIE WITH HER OR I'D LOVE TO WALK AROUND THE WHOLE CITY JUST TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO HER AGAIN?!
This is the difficult part, buddy, and most people have to conquer this.
Don't be like: "Hurr, lets go see a movie somethime.
Be specific, give the time, date, place, and what you'll be doing after and before. This gives the parents a bit more peace of mind, and just generally leaves a better impression, especially if you're going to be dating her in the future.
- And how do I show her who I really am and how much "better" I am than the other cheesy, muscular and funny guys she talks to?
Talking to other guys isn't that bad of a problem.
Cheesy, muscular, handsome, intelligent, we all come across that problem some time or another.
The girls in my grade are still too immature to break the physical boundary and see who I really am, and one came close to doing that, but ended up shattering my heart instead. Yeah. We're still friends, but it can be hard, and I personally just think that she needs the summer to recuperate and be with herself and figure out who she is.
It's not that hard to be the person that is always there for her, who comments on how beautiful she is (If you think she is, go ahead and say it. Not much negative can come from that.)
As for showing her, it just takes time and slight effort. Just be with her, especially if it makes you happy.
I know being with the one that I love does the same to me, but I cannot stand to see her saddened.
Basically, I'll leave you with this:
Face to Face beats EVERYTHING. My love an I didn't text all that much.
Don't change yourself for her.
If you want to explain your feelings, it is hard, but take this quote into mind:
It's worse to regret not doing something than it is to do something and regret it.
Take this lovely Kagamine Rin song as encouragement.
May 31, 2011casa posted a message on Second Annual "make your avatar notch's head week" Starting Now!Posted in: General Off TopicQuote from screwdriversally
Safe and sexy :wink.gif:
MY EYES! IT BURNS!
- To post a comment, please login.
Jun 17, 2011Posted in: Computer Science and Technology
HOW TO POST IN THIS FORUM
A guide to posting like a boss
I've been noticing bogus topics and answers more and more lately, causing threads to de-rail and leaving support for the people asking for help. Therefore, I'm writing a simple guide on how to post in this forum. After all, I had this forum made so that people could discuss tech in a pro way along with receiving good support from knowledgeable members, and it'd help to have the people here listen to this a bit.
I'll make a few examples, after which I explain whats wrong and whats good. Should be easy enough to follow, right?
EXAMPLE #1 - LAPPY
Quote from Derp »
Hey guys, I got 600 bucks for my birthday and I want to spend it on a laptop so I can play minecraft during class, ruining my education. Which laptop fits best to my budget and needs?
Quote from [email protected] »
why not build a pc yourself its a lot cheaper
Issue: Didn't even bother to read the topic. Really, there is no such thing as custom-building a laptop unless you're willing to build it entirely yourself FROM THE CORE. As in, make your own case and try to fit hardware in it. Eventually you end up paying more for less.
HOW IT SHOULD'VE BEEN:
Quote from LORD FON STRUDELF »
Hey, I just looked through some models and [insert link here] and [insert link here] might fit your needs. Basically, what you're looking for is yadda yadda, because you really don't want to end up with yadda yadda. See if you can get some yadda yadda so you don't end up wasting your money on some brick.
Suggest a model or two, do a tiny bit of research and warn the OP of the stuff he shouldn't get. (for example, intel gpu's) It's not that hard, really.
EXAMPLE #2 - ANTI-VIRUS
This is a pretty recent one, and the topic in question ended up as a pointless discussion involving some fight between linux and linux.... yep.
Quote from Bill »
Hi, my copy of ANTICREEPER ANTIVIRUS is about to expire in a week or so and I can't be arsed to buy a new license so does anybody know a good, free alternative? Running Windows 7 here. Thanks!
Quote from Tux »
SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX
Issue: This isn't even near a good solution. If you suggest replacing windows with mac/linux because they have little to no viruses, you are posting a completely deceitful suggestion and it's not only arrogant, but it also doesn't help the OP at all. Its like suggesting the owner of a Delorean to buy a Yamaha bike after one of the car's tires burst.
HOW IT SHOULD'VE BEEN:
Quote from BEASTMAN »
I've been using ANTI-ZOMBIE for a while and its pretty good, haven't had any problems with it so far. Here's a link to its , see if its any good for you.
Suggesting the software you are using yourself and are happy with is always a good idea. This answer provides the OP with a possible solution to his problem and is fuel for a worthy discussion; Other posters might have better suggestions as well as feedback on mentioned answers. I mean, for all we know anti-zombie is a bad craftsmanship, and skelet-on might be a much better choice.
EXAMPLE #3 - OPERATING SYSTEMS
Pretty much stating the obvious here. Note the often-used word; "OS WARS". Fighting about operating systems is just silly, because everyone has its own taste and everyone uses different versions. What may be amazing to one poster might be horrible for the other. Besides, all operating systems have its good sides and its bad sides. There is no such "thing" as a perfect OS, because they all update and change every day.
However, if one were to ask something like
then people could perfectly suggest systems that fit to these specs. Same goes for new releases, people can easily express their opinions about the new versions, explain new features and trade tweaks.Quote from GRANDPAAA »
Hey guys, I just upgraded to a pentium II rig and I don't feel like throwing Windows 98 or whatever on it. Got any suggestions? Oh and its got 64MB of RAM. Thats pretty hilarious because thats the amount of years I've been alive.
Discussing OS's is completely cool. Fighting about them because you're a fanboy is not a viable reason, and you should be ashamed if you show this kind of attitude.
Note: This also applies to browsers and consoles. They are all awesome and they all suck - there is no king of the kings.
EXAMPLE #4 - P2P, BITTORRENT, ETC.
As you may imagine, discussing p2p, torrents, usenet and such is quite the risky topic. However, if done correctly, then there should be no harm done at all. Tools of the trade:
- Don't post a link to the torrent, unless the content is legal to distribute freely. Linux iso's fall under this, for example.
- Are you unsure if its okay to post? Then its probably not okay.
- If your post somehow contributes to piracy, you really just shouldn't post it.
Quote from NEWBOY »Hey guys, can anyone explain what DHT means? I see it all the time in uTorrent but I have no idea what it means!
but a post like this...
Quote from MARIO SUPER »
Hey guys I'm trying to download torrent off THE NINJA TEMPLE but I can't get enough seeds how do I increase the seeds so I can get my illegal content quicker???????
Is, quite obviously, not a good post.
EXAMPLE #5 - LAZYNESS
A lot of questions are actually really easy to solve by yourself. The best example for this is the magic that's called Google. A person looking for newer versions of the catalyst driver would enter something like this
amd catalyst driver download
and he'd get the right result straight away. Googling isn't hard at all! And when you need specific stuff? Add quotes! The query
"Super Mario World" spritesheet
would give a lot more accurate results than
super mario world spritesheet
simply because it'll treat the words between the quotation marks as one word.
An other source of getting help with, for example, windows features is using (you guess it) the help function. It updates itself every once in a while and when using simple terms you can find the stuff you need. If you're a twitter user, you can also contact @MicrosoftHelps, who help windows users for free. (for xbox help, use @xboxsupport)
EXAMPLE #6 - I AM A GAME DEVELOPER
Alright kids, I'll be honest with you: You're not going to develop a game with less than a week of coding experience. And no, creating an HTML site doesn't count. (and neither does RPG maker, damnit)
You see, when you come into this forum and post something like this:
Quote from Schweinhund »
Hey guys whats a good language to write a game pls help
The majority of users here will just slam their face on their desk. The reality is that you don't go straight into game development, but do some basic programs first. I'm learning C# myself for months now and I only just made a small blackjack game. Before doing this, I first made some simple console apps, a calculator, hangman, and some other basic things.
Don't jump right in, learn the basics first and when you're experienced enough you go and try something 2D.
EXAMPLE #7 - MY HARDWARE IS BETTER THAN YOUR HARDWARE
It's similar to the OS wars I guess. Basically it goes like this:
Quote from Steve-o »
Hey guys, for some reason my iMac [model name here] keeps turning itself off after a few minutes, especially when I'm playing some games like TF2 or HL2. Does anybody know whats wrong? I'm not really good at hardware stuff so I really have no idea at all. Thanks!
After which a guy stumbles in and posts this:
Quote from Billy »
LOL ITS BECAUSE YOU'RE USING A MAC USE PC INSTEAD
Issue: Now, it might be quite obvious what the issue here is. "PC" is an acronym for "Personal Computer". Now as far as I know, Macintosh machines are personal computers. Try to prove me wrong buddy, its not going to work.
But lets get serious here; Seriously? In this topic, the poster is requesting help with an issue on his Mac computer. The problem here is that little Billy feels the need of posting in a topic in such a non-contributing way that it'll only lead to a fight, delaying the actual answer. Not cool, bro!
How it should go instead:
Quote from Billmo »
I don't use Mac PC's, but this sounds like a regular overheating problem. Get some compressed air and blow the out of your machine, get the dust out of there and see if it made any changes. If not, or you don't feel comfortable doing that, doesn't Apple provide some service called applecare or whatever? See if they can help.
This user approaches the poster in a much friendlier way and actually provides help. Sure, he may not use Mac on his PC, but the problem sounds familiar and the user suggests some things to do that usually help. Since the problem does sound like an overheating issue, cleaning out the machine may very well help it. If it doesn't, the poster should consider Apple's support service and see if they can help. Everyone's happy.
This example can also be applied to people having problems with their Linux, Windows, DOS, etc. machines. Don't tell the posters to off and use a different OS, but approach the problem in way that may also apply to your own OS. If you can't help at all and can't suggest possible sources for help, then don't post at all. It's really not that hard.
HEY GUYS HOW DO I START THE MINECRAFT SERV- NO. This forum is for tech discussion only. While servers fit to this requirement, Minecraft servers do not. They go into the Minecraft Server forum. Yeah, its that easy.-----
I will add more examples later on. Remember guys, read this and take note to not post like you'd be ignorant and unfriendly, and you, too, will be a boss at posting.
Aug 12, 2011whutsurnaym posted a message on w00t, I are a diamond miner! Post here for free diamonds!Here's a congratulations gift!Posted in: General Off Topic
Jul 29, 2011Posted in: General Off TopicQuote from MrMrTofu
How can a perfectly reasonable person die, become a ghost, and then then be blood-thirsty and murderous for no reason?
So you don't understand fictitious stories? I'm not seeing your point.
Oct 27, 2010Posted in: SuggestionsGEOCRAFT
Minecraft is a game of infinite creativity where the world is literally a standing resource for the whims and desires of the player. The possibilities are nearly endless in what can be created in this world where everything is a potential building material or decoration. That is why the acquisition, distribution, and selection of resources is an extremely important aspect to the game's overall design. Despite the seemingly endless array of possibilities already available to the Minecraft player, there is still one very important and essential element that needs to be expanded on: the geology of Minecraft.
Currently, there isn't much to Minecraft geology outside of the spectacular formations the player is treated to on the surface. Once underground, and especially in artificial mines, the landscape of Minecraft degenerates into an endless expanse of "rock" broken only by pockets of dirt, gravel, and much sought after resources. What can be done to add more interest and variety in the "mine" part of "Minecraft", and how can improvements here also help with the "craft" side of the game?
The first stage is to turn an eye onto real world geology. This might sound tediously boring (and it is, trust me!), but hidden in the obscure language of geologists lies the secret to making a good game about mining. The following are a list of suggestions that not only bring Minecraft more in line with real world geology, but also create elements that improve the beauty and creative potential of the game itself.
1. Split "stone" up into two different materials. The first material would appear near the surface, with the second being deep underground.
- Material 1 would be some sort of sedimentary rock, such as limestone. Limestone, in particular would have the advantage of not only being a new common building material, but it could house beds of marble as well. With limestone and marble available to players, the construction of places like Egypt, Athens, or Rome would be possible. Limestone might not even require a pick to be able to gather.
- Material 2, which would lie deeper, would be some sort of igneous rock, such as granite. Granite is a great building material, and would allow players to create magnificent ancient and modern structures. Granite might be very similar to the current "rock", which is essentially a generic granite-like material already.
- Coal could be moved up into the sedimentary layer only. Not only would this be a turn towards realism, but it would also begin to help direct players to the right place when looking for particular resources. Obviously, iron, gold, diamonds, and other ores wouldn't be found in limestone.
2. Split up the sedimentary layer into 3 types of materials. This would change the distribution of materials in this first section of strata from "veins" to "layers" or "beds". What this means is that the three sedimentary layers would appear in strips, or planes, that could be parallel to the ground, inclined, or even vertical. These planes of rock layers could be as massive as an entire biome or just a small area.
- Change gravel into "sandstone". This could still contain flint (in fact, flint could probably be found just about anywhere in the sedimentary or dirt layers). This would mostly be a name change to avoid over-complicating the issue.
- Add "shale", a dark material that forms in sheets. This material could, then, be forged into "slate", another common building material (especially in cobblestone roads and flooring). This could give more diversity to half-step blocks, which now could be potentially composed of granite, marble, and slate.
3. Add a second igneous rock; basalt. Basalt is a black, hard material usually found around volcanic islands. As such, it could appear as the dominate rock layer in aquatic biomes or as pockets in granite as "intrusions". Basalt is another fantastic building material, which could potentially act similar to obsidian now.
- Obsidian, unlike basalt, forms very quickly (as it does in Minecraft), but is crystalline and perhaps more useful as an upgraded flint. Because of this, obsidian's properties could change from a building material into a resource for arrowheads or tool materials, leaving basalt behind as a building material.
4. As I continue, the suggestions become more and more difficult to implement, and also less important for Minecraft other than making the world reflect a predictable regularity that would give indications to players as to where to dig for what they need. The following are some of these difficult to implement "signs" that would guide players to what they are looking for.
- Faults. Most valuable resources mined from the Earth are mined along faults, where the high pressures and temperatures give rise to metals and other materials. Implementing fault lines and putting most of the valuable materials around them would give players a guiding line to what they seek as well as adding realism. These ores would obviously form in other places, still.
- Folding. Materials folded into a dome (anticlines) often trap less dense materials underneath them. This is one of the most common strategies for finding oil in the ground. If oil is ever implemented, this would be a great sign post for finding it. I didn't suggest adding oil into the game, but if it ever is, then this suggestion stands.
- Volcanism. Who doesn't like volcanoes? Lava trapped deep underground often attempts to rise to the surface. This also adds to the danger of mining, as lava could be rising from just about anywhere!
- Erosion. Flowing water will eventually carve a path. Why not give flowing water the ability to mine through certain materials if it is already moving (such as dirt, clay, limestone, and sandstone)?
- Earthquakes. Rare, but destructive. These would occur on occasion around fault lines, making players rethink about building too close. Also, they could shift certain materials around deep underground, adding to the danger of mining.
I know that these suggestions focus less on the crafting side of Minecraft and more on the mining side, but I think they take some steps in this direction will not only improve the quality of gameplay during mining, but also give the players direction and more building materials to use in the construction of their own online world. It would also add some danger to the game without even needing to invoke zombies, spiders, or hell. As a side benefit, it would introduce players to ideas and concepts that are applicable to the real world, and might even be somewhat educational. I know that's a sin in videogames, but I tend to think it's a good thing.
Quote from Spikeylord »I also did this picture of what it may be a bit like (with a dungeon):
Part 2 of the Suggestion
How this Affects Biomes
Clarifications on Clay
The Accessibility of Rock
Implementation Step 1
How this Affects Saves
Jun 5, 2011Catmando posted a message on Let's compile a long list of why off-topic* rocks.Because Beefie.Posted in: General Off Topic
- To post a comment, please login.