Notch is a utter sell out if he did not include some sort of proviso for his oldest and loyal fan base that supported him early and got this game going in the first place.
"from a Notch blog:
We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free."
"Please remember that the future of Minecraft and you – the community – are extremely important to everyone involved. If you take one thing away from this post, let it be that."
We'll see if thats true.
this was taken from the purchase page.
Here's what you get:
* You never have to pay again! You get all future versions of the game, including all expansions and addons.
* You help fund the development of Minecraft
* Custom skins in multiplayer
* Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM, you can do whatever you want with it.
* Survival mode!
* Zombie Siege Build your defenses during the day, fend off the incoming masses during night.
* Capture the Flag Defend your base and flag against the enemy team while trying to steal their flag.
* Various custom level mods Want to import a doom map? How about playing in a random dungeon?
* And more!