They also have multiple mechanics to make them more interesting.
1. They help in pollinating flowers, and will have a higher chance of doing so near beehives. This will "expand the flower forest" to other biomes, but it would be limited for obvious reasons.
2. They will often go to flowers and suck nectar. In doing so, their colour changes to match the colour of the flower.
3. At night (apart from new moon nights) and during thunderstorms, they will curl up into flowers and go to sleep. If the flower is broken, they come out and flutter away to try and find another flower to sleep in.
4. During new moon nights, they stay awake and will all start glowing in one colour, making it a truly luminous sight. This is my way of implementing fireflies into the game.
5. Lastly, they help injured bees (ones that have lost their stinger). They heal the bees so that they wouldn't die, but the bees will also not regrow their stingers.
They drop the dye obtained from the last flower they sucked nectar from, or alternatively, the flower itself.
Special thanks to the Minecraft Suggestions Discord server and the Minecraft Brainstorming subreddit for helping me with this concept.
Thanks for reading, and have a good one!