No, not at all. I already play with Mo' Creatures, vanilla Minecraft version of horses is just a crappier version of that and not much else was added besides them. I'm hoping that installing the mod again on 1.6 will just totally override vanilla horses and give me back what I'm used to instead of the nonsense with the XP bar jump meter thing and covering my hearts (aka the hunger bar, which I have textured as hearts as well) with the horse hearts; you know you've got too much on your interface when you have to start reusing parts of it when new stuff is implemented.
But anyway, I'm just waiting for 1.6 to come out, so my mods will update again and I'll finally be able to update out of 1.4.6, I haven't been able to because necessary mods skipped 1.5.1 and then aren't compatible with 1.5.2 or others are waiting for 1.6, so didn't move up to 1.5.2, etc.
- Registered Member
Member for 9 years, 10 months, and 17 days
Last active Mon, May, 25 2015 09:17:23
- 0 Followers
- 482 Total Posts
- 58 Thanks
Apr 7, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on [1.6.X/1.5.2/Others]Pam's Mods - Feb 9th (I'm Back!)I'm pretty sure I know where I'm spending my next $50. <3 I've been using your mods since 1.8.1 and haven't found a crop/flowers mod I like better.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
But in the meantime, I have a small question. In Wee! Flowers, certain flowers and seeds are listed as grey, but the original dye (and all my other modded, colored items) are listed as gray. Would it be too much trouble to change it so they're all listed under gray? Or what's a simple way I could change it myself?
Mar 28, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on [1.5.1][1.7.2 in development][V4.0.1][500+Downloads][Forge][SSP/SMP]Compact Crafting-Making it easier to carry things in your inIs there a config file to turn off the blocks/features that I don't want? I already have coal blocks, I don't want to double it.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
Mar 13, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on [1.6.2] Vanilla with Sprinkles - Mods built to fit closely with the vanilla game (Last updated: 9/8)Posted in: Minecraft ModsQuote from Koopinator
My plan right now is to remove it and add in the seed pouches and some more wheat block stuff to compensate.
Whoo, thousands of seeds will have a place. (I'm really not kidding, it's into the thousands now. I have a large farm. :X)
So, just wondering though. When I go to update, should I just take note of how many mod redstone blocks I have, remove them, then replace them with the vanilla redstone blocks? Would that be the safest thing to do?
Feb 8, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on BiblioCraft [v2.4.5]-Bookcases, armor stands, shelves, printing presses, seats, clocks, the Atlas and more! Updated 06/21/2018New link worked.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
I'm completely sold. You must keep this mod updated, I can't play Minecraft without it. I never want to go back to boring walls.
Just LOOK how awesome my rooms (well, their walls) are:
(Not the best, but I wanted to set it up quickly, just to admire them.)
The potion storage... exactly what I wanted it to be, exactly. Thank you.
Feb 8, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on BiblioCraft [v2.4.5]-Bookcases, armor stands, shelves, printing presses, seats, clocks, the Atlas and more! Updated 06/21/2018This looks really nice, love this kind of mod. Adds a little personality to your houses. I would try it out, but I can't get the download link to work for some reason. It's probably bad Internet though, so I'll come back later.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
Jan 26, 2013As long as it's still insta-grow anything in creative, I don't really care about what it does in survival. I only use bonemeal in creative. When I've finished a pretty farmhouse with surrounding fields and I want to take nice screenshots, but I don't want to wait for all the wheat to match and be nice looking. But in survival, I hardly ever use it, except for growing the occasional melon stem.Posted in: Recent Updates and Snapshots
Jan 25, 2013I found a Moonworm Queen and I have torchberries. I'm supposed to just put the Moonworm Queen and 3 torchberries in the crafting grid someway to refill it, aren't I? I've put the Queen and the berries in the grid every way possible and it never comes out with the refilled Queen. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?Posted in: Minecraft Mods
Jan 12, 2013KasaraEm13 posted a message on [1.6.2] Vanilla with Sprinkles - Mods built to fit closely with the vanilla game (Last updated: 9/8)Oops, sorry, I didn't highlight the dash when I copied the link. x.x Here. I'll edit the other one too. But yeah, that's pretty much the idea.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
A seed packet with (at least) 9 uses would work too. Or even just being able to reverse the crafting recipe and get the 9 seeds back. I know Pam has seed packets and seed boxes (9 seed packets) with her seeds, but there's nothing like it for vanilla seeds.
- To post a comment, please login.
Jul 22, 2011kingbdogz posted a message on [1.7.3] Aether Collaboration Mod - V1.02 - NEW MOBS, FIXES, ITEMS AND FEATURES!The new Aether Thread is open for business.Posted in: Minecraft Mods
Mock-up "CD Case" for the Aether! Created by our talented artist, The5.
Hey guys! If anyone wants to come discuss the Aether mod, you can come over to the IRC channel #aethermod on esper.net. Come chat with the dev's and other Aether-lovers!
If you do not have an IRC client here is how to join the channel with your web browser:
1. Go to http://www.esper.net.
2. Click on "Chat now!" in the top right hand corner. This will go to another page with an input box which has "#" inside it.
3. Inside the input box, type in #aethermod and press connect.
4. The mibbit client will then request for your username, type it in.
5. Have fun chatting!
See you there!
Enjoy and stay tuned!
This mod has literally taken 4-5 months of SOLID development to come to fruition, and we have wasted thousands of hours of our free time to complete this mod. A good way of saying thank you to the developers is to not only download the mod and support the project, but donating a bit of spare money really helps motivate us. Like I said, this project has been developed for an insanely long time, the donations would be VERY much appreciated for our hard work. Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in the patch; the team has been very busy wrapping things up with the new mod version, and of course some of us have to attend to real life. However, we have finally finished the patch, and it is now available for download! Not only have we fixed a huge amount of bugs, but we've also added new features, tweaks and balance changes to freshen up your Aether experience. We've worked very hard on the patch, and so we hope you enjoy what it has to offer.
If you have yet to see the change list for Patch 1.02 of the Aether, you can see it below:
- Dungeon Rewards are now hidden in TooManyItems by default. However, if people would like to spawn them for any reason, you can now disable the hiding code for the rewards by changing "TMIhidden = true" to "TMIhidden = false" in mod_Aether.cfg file. This file can be found in your /.minecraft/config/ folder. DO NOT change "#TMIhidden (boolean:true)" as this will not actually affect the config file, and immediately resets upon opening Minecraft. Instead, change "TMIhidden = true".
- Completely restructured Sound files for the Aether.
- When riding a saddled Moa, a "Jump Meter" will now appear above your Armour defense. This Jump Meter will show you the amount of mid-air jumps your Moa can perform, and also how many are left before it can no longer jump. Thanks to Penumber for the idea.
- Saddled Moas no longer wander around. They stay on the spot when you are not mounted on them.
- Ambrosium Shards now only heal "half a heart". We felt that Ambrosium was too powerful for such a common ore, thus the decision to decrease it's healing powers.
- Gravitite Ore is now much more common.
- Zanite Ore is now slightly less common.
- You can now press "B" on your keyboard to gain a Book of Lore for free. You will gain one according to the dimension you are in (for example, if you are in the Aether dimension you will gain a Book of Lore: Volume 3).
- Placing Lava in the Aether now freezes it into Aerogel.
- Books of Lore no longer appear in Dungeon chests.
- Aerogel no longer appears in Dungeon chests.
- Carved Stone no longer appears in Dungeon chests.
- Lightning Knives no longer appear in Dungeon chests in stacks higher than 16. This is so stacking is no longer screwed up (as the max stack for Lightning Knives is 16).
- When first entering the Aether in Minecraft, you will now gain a Cloud Parachute for free.
- If you hit the Bronze Boss with something other than a Pickaxe, it will now show a message which says "Hmm. Perhaps I should attack this beast with a Pickaxe?" so that new people understand they cannot attack it with other weapons.
- Enchanted Gravitite texture now changed, so as to save Sprite ID's.
- The time taken for Baby Moas to digest their Aechor Petals has now been decreased.
- Life Shards now have a new sprite, to make them look more like "Shards" rather than heart containers.
- Blue Aerclouds have a slightly new colour. It uses a more cyan-like colour now.
- Spawning issues have finally been fixed (Zephyrs and Aerwhales are now less common, and Aechor Plants more common. There are more adjustments, but too many to list).
- Cockatrices and Zephyrs now despawn when on Peaceful mode.
- Aerwhales and Zephyrs now despawn when stuck.
- Fixed the Glowstone Dust description in the Book of Lore: Volume 2.
- Fixed the Glowstone block description in the Book of Lore: Volume 2.
- Fixed the descriptions of some Obsidian items in the Book of Lore: Volume 3.
- Enchanting Golden Darts and Buckets of Poison now works as intended.
- Golden Swets now work correctly.
- Baby Moa's no longer lay eggs.
- You can now configure the spawn rate of Aether mobs in mod_Aether.cfg (/.minecraft/config/). 0 = no longer spawn.
- Aerwhales which were previously set on fire should no longer be in flames. They are also now immune to fire.
- Swets, Aerwhales and Zephyrs now despawn correctly, previously they would not despawn and prevent spawning of other creatures.
- Fixed a bug where Blue and Gold clouds were not generating into the world naturally. Newly explored areas or new Aether worlds will now generate with Blue and Gold clouds.
- Saddled Moas no longer despawn.
- From now on, beds which are placed in the Aether will not explode, and can be slept in as usual. Beds which have been placed prior to Patch V1.02 will still explode. To fix this, just recollect the bed and place it again.
- Bonemeal can now grow Skyroot saplings and Golden Oak saplings. You can also use it on Aether Grass to grow a group of White and Purple flowers.
- You can no longer move the Bronze Boss with the Hammer of Notch projectile.
- Fixed a bug where the initiating a fight with the Gold Boss would cause massive lag spikes.
- Fixed a bug where Black Moa's would only be able to perform 6 mid-air jumps instead of the intended 8 mid-air jumps.
- The Cloud Sentries which are spawned from the Cloud Staff dungeon reward no longer make human "hurt" sounds when damaged.
- Fixed an audio-related issue with Moas and Flying Pigs, where they would build up "step sounds" while flying, and would play them all at once when landing on the ground.
- Fixed a bug where Silver Dungeons were rarer than Gold Dungeons.
- Many more small bugs have been fixed, but there were too many for me to remember them or list them. I can assure you that the above fixes were the biggest.
- Added 3 new in-game soundtracks, all exclusive to the Aether. Thanks to our new composer, Emile, for creating these wonderful pieces! You can hear them in-game, just like any other Minecraft music.
- Unique "Victory" tunes have been added when defeating Bronze and Silver bosses.
- A small "Achievement" tune has been added when completing an Aether achievement.
- When initiating in a fight with a boss, a Health Bar will now appear on the top centre of your screen. The Boss will also have a randomly generated name. For example: "GeneratedName, the Valkyrie Queen".
- Added a new "Flying Cow" mob. While they are nothing too special, they do drop leather when killed. These creatures can be saddled and flown around.
- Added a new "Aerbunny" mob. These creatures are friendly, and will hop around the Aether peacefully. Aerbunnies drop string when killed. This means, with the combined additions of the Aerbunny and Flying Cow, you can now craft Saddles in the Aether without returning to the surface world.
- Added a new "Whirlwind" mob. These hostile entities will throw you into the air when you get too close.
- Added a new "Quicksoil Glass" block. Not only can it be used for building materials, but it also gives off a dim amount of light (and of course, speeds up mobs movement speed while in contact with them). They can be gained by enchanting Quicksoil.
- Added a new "Zanite Block". This is a purely aesthetic block, for the purpose of storage and building materials. It can be crafted with 4 Zanite Gemstones. You can also craft the Zanite Block back into 4 Zanite Gemstones if you would like to regain them.
- Added a new "White Flower" block. These are commonly generated flowers in the Aether. At the moment they are purely aesthetic, but will have crafting purposes in the future.
- Added a new "Purple Flower" block. These are slightly rarer than White Flowers, and can be crafted into 2 Purple Dye items.
- Added a new "Freezer" block. This new block was suggested by one of our fans on the Mantis bug/idea tracker. We thought it was a neat enough idea to implement. Basically, it works very similarly to the furnace in design. However, it uses Icestone as a fuel, and can be used to freeze various different items. For example: you can freeze water from water buckets into Ice blocks, or freeze Cold Aerclouds into Blue Aerclouds. Although there aren't many freezable items and blocks at this stage, the Freezer's use will be hugely expanded in future patches.
- Added a new "Ice Ring and Ice Pendant". When worn, these accessories will freeze all water and lava around the player. They slowly degrade while worn, so they do not last forever. These accessories can be obtained by freezing Gold or Iron accessories with the new Freezer block. You CANNOT freeze Zanite accessories into Ice accessories, only Gold and Iron.
- Added a new "Healing Stone" item. Heals 2 hearts of health, and is stackable. These items can be obtained by enchanting Holystone blocks with your Enchanter. This was implemented to balance out the issues with overpowered Ambrosium Shards.
- Added four new craftable capes: "White, Blue, Red and Yellow". These capes can be crafted with their respective wool colour. Blue Capes can be crafted with any type of blue wool. These capes are purely aesthetic.
- Added four new Dungeon Rewards. One of them is a Bronze Dungeon reward, and the other three are Silver Dungeon rewards.
- Added a completely new "Main Menu" which is interchangable in-game and with the mod_Aether.cfg file. This menu, by default, has an "Aether Theme", with Aether-styled buttons and logos. It will also preview the last point you were located at in your previously played world. All progress made in the menu (time of day, etc) is not actually saved, so when you re-enter the world it will still be at the last point you played. This menu is highly configurable, though, and has a few neat features. We've added three new buttons on the top right hand corner of the screen: "Q" for Quick Load, "T" for Toggle Theme, and "W" for Toggle World. The Quick Load feature allows you to instantly jump into the world that the menu is currently previewing, without ANY loading times. The Toggle Theme feature allows you to switch between the "Classic" style of buttons and logos (which includes the Minecraft logo, etc), or the "Aether" style of buttons and logos. The Toggle World feature allows you to turn world previewing on or off. While world previewing is off, it will display a menu very similar in structure to the normal menu in Minecraft, but you still have the option to use the "Aether" styled buttons and logos with the Toggle Theme feature. However, the only way to use a particular menu by default, you have to configure the menu with mod_Aether.cfg, which can be found in /.minecraft/config/. By default, "aetherMenu = true" means that Minecraft will always load with the Aether styled buttons and logo. If you change that to "aetherMenu = false", your game will always load with Minecraft styled buttons and logos. Additionally, the default "worldMenu = true" means that your game will always preview your previously played world on start up. However, if you change that to "worldMenu = false", your game will always start up with the classic Minecraft menu in normal Minecraft.
The Aether NO LONGER WORKS WITH SINGLE PLAYER COMMANDS. It uses an API called Player API, which basically allows several mods to edit the Entity Player. However, Single Player Commands has not used this new API yet, so you cannot run the two mods at the same time or else it will CRASH. I expect a patch/quick fix will be up shortly!
ADDITIONALLY: The Aether DOES NOT WORK with ShockAhPI r5 and r6, since it directly overwrites Player API (similarly to SPC). However, we have created a new version of ShockAhPI which utilizes Player API. Even though Shockah is currently on holidays, he has given us permission to distribute this version of the API with adf.ly (as he is one of the Aether team members). The new download link for this fixed version will be below. IF YOU HAVE V1.01 CURRENTLY IN YOUR JAR FILE, YOU MUST USE A FRESH JAR OTHERWISE IT WILL CRASH. THE PATCH DOES NOT WORK WHEN SIMPLY PASTING OVER V1.01.
There is also one known bug with the current menu: it seems that, because of the way we load the menu music, it has a 2-4 second stall upon opening Minecraft. It's not a huge delay, but sometimes it may be confused with a blackscreen. It actually isn't, you just need to wait a few seconds for the menu to do its thing.
We've been working quite hard on this patch, and would appreciate any donations from our fans. Anything helps; it's the thought that counts!
The Aether mod V1.02 requires ModLoader, AudioMod, PlayerAPI, and ShockAhPI r5.1.
New SinglePlayerCommands Patch out!
To use SPC with the Aether mod V1.02, first install SPC then use this patch by meiska_:
HOW TO INSTALL VIDEO - STEP BY STEP (V1.01, these videos are outdated!):
Thanks to DirtyMoDz7s for the video!
Thanks to RZGamez for the video!
It's finally here...
One of the biggest projects in Minecraft Modding history is now completed. Five very well-known and talented modders (Kingbdogz, Kodaichi, Shockah, Flan and 303) have joined forces to develop the Aether, a celestial realm found in outer limits of the atmosphere. The Aether is what you could call the "antipole" of the Nether. The Nether is a network of desolate, fiery caverns filled with bloodstained Cobblestone and sticky Soulsand; it lies beneath the very soil of our Minecraft world. The Aether, on the other hand, is a collection of floating plains and islands, all connected together to create a breathtaking dimension of the skies. Even during the night, the Aether is still quite peaceful, and a normal day in the Aether is the equivalent of three days on the surface.
Aerwhales, the gentle giants of the Aether, can be found floating in the horizon, munching on Golden Oaks and strips of Blue Aerclouds as the sun climbs higher in the sky. When the sun falls, Cockatrices crawl away from their well-hidden nests, ready to attack. Peaceful as they may seem, these deadly birds shoot poisonous needles at you when provoked. They are one of the few hostile mobs in the Aether.
The Aether isn't always fun and games though; elaborate dungeons are protected by powerful Guardians and sleeping sentries which await watchfully. They can be found in the sides of massive floating islands, containing locked loot chests with otherwise unobtainable singular items and blocks worth the effort of slaying their key bearing protectors.
Dungeons have three levels of difficulty. Bronze, Silver and Gold; Bronze being the easiest, and Gold being the hardest. This means that the Bronze Dungeon will be easier to handle, but the Dungeon will only yield "good" items. Silver Dungeons are slightly harder, and reward you with much better unique items. Gold Dungeons are extremely hard, but you will be rewarded with incredibly powerful items. These unique rewards CANNOT be obtained any other way.
Moas, peaceful and majestic giant birds, populate the Aether in three different colours: Blue, White and Black. Wild Moas cannot be tamed, but they do occasionally drop eggs of their respective colour. These eggs can be incubated with the Incubator block (using Ambrosium Torches). Once incubated, they can be fed with the Aechor Petals of Aechor Plants. They require 8 petals in total to grow, but are not always hungry and will occasionally refuse your offer (which can be done by right clicking them with the Aechor Petal). When grown, you have now completely tamed the Moa, and a saddle can be placed on their backs to ride. Blue Moas can perform 3 mid-air jumps, White Moas can perform 4 mid-air jumps, and Black Moas can perform 8 mid-air jumps.
Flying Pigs can also be found wandering around the Aether, and occasionally flying freely through the air. These creatures can be saddled with a Saddle, and flown around without having to deal with a taming process. This allows players to quickly hop into the action. However, Flying Pigs can only jump once, and do not have the privilege of mid-air jumps like the powerful flying Moas.
The Portal to the Aether is made out of a Glowstone Frame, and can be activated with a Bucket of Water!
New Accessory System:
We've implemented an entirely new "Accessories System" for the mod. This will include 8 entirely new slots to customize your character. Items such as Pendants, Rings, Gloves, Capes and even special Shields can be worn. Various "Miscellaneous Accessories" can also be worn in the two blank slots.
Above is an example of Accessory items being worn.
Description: Pendants can be worn on your character with the new Accessory System. They are worn over the top of the players skin, so when Armour is worn it will be hidden. Gold and Iron Pendants are simply decorative accessories, but Zanite Pendants will increase your mining speed when worn. Zanite accessories slowly degrade when worn, and the more damage it takes, the faster your mining speed with increase. Zanite accessories also slightly increase your armour.
Description: Rings can be worn on your character with the new Accessory System. Gold and Iron Rings are simply decorative accessories, but Zanite Rings (like the Pendants) will increase your mining speed when worn.
Description: Capes can be worn on your character with the new Accessory System. They are worn on your back and can be seen very clearly when in third person mode. Normal "Swet Capes" (image above) are simply decorative, but one particular Dungeon Reward (which is a cape) has a very useful ability.
Description: Gloves can be worn on your character with the new Accessory System. They are worn on your hands and can also be seen in first-person view. These provide extra protection for the player, and with some special armour sets, are required to activate the "Set Ability".
Description: Aether dirt is the basic dirt in the Aether, and will grow into Aether Grass when exposed to sun light. It is much easier to mine than normal dirt found on the surface.
Description: Skyroot Logs are the main base of Skyroot Trees. They provide the basic essential for your Aether adventures, and can be crafted into four Skyroot Planks.
Description: Skyroot Leaves are the "Leaf" blocks of Skyroot Trees. On chance, they will drop a Skyroot Sapling to replant.
Golden Oak Logs
Description: Golden Oak Logs make up the base of Golden Oak trees. They are embedded with Golden Amber, which can be used to craft very powerful Golden Darts.
Golden Oak Leaves
Description: Golden Oak Leaves are the "Leaf" blocks of Golden Oak trees. They occasionally drop Golden Oak Saplings and Golden Apples.
Description: Skyroot Saplings allow you to replant Skyroot Trees.
Golden Oak Sapling
Description: Golden Oak Saplings are occasionally dropped from Golden Oak Leaves. They can be replanted into Aether Dirt to regrow a Golden Oak tree.
Description: Skyroot Planks can be crafted from Skyroot Logs. They can be used to craft Skyroot Sticks and from there, Skyroot Tools.
Description: Holystone is the common stone block in the Aether, and can be used to craft Holystone Tools.
Description: Mossy Holystone is a rare Holystone block that can be found at the base of an Aether Dungeon entrance.
Description: Cold Aercloud is a very common type of Aercloud found in the Aether. Long strips of them can be found in the formations of clouds. They have very strange properties; while sometimes they will prevent fall damage, other times they will not. Use them wisely, but be wary when falling from large heights. They can also be crafted into Cloud Parachutes.
Description: Blue Aerclouds are slightly rare than Cold Aerclouds, and bounce mobs when coming into contact.
Description: Gold Aerclouds are the rarest type of Aercloud. Alone they do not have any special properties from normal Cold Aerclouds, but they can be crafted into Golden Parachutes which have 20 uses rather than the normal 1.
Description: Quicksoil can be found on the sides of islands. When mobs walk on it, their movement speed is increased. However, it takes a while to build up speed. These can be both a good block to abuse its speed, but also a dangerous block to come into contact with.
Description: Icestone can be found in large chunks, usually on the sides of islands. One placement, they will freeze all water and lava sources around it.
Description: Ambrosium Ore is a common block found in the Aether. It drops Ambrosium Shards, which can be used for Torches, fueling Enchanters, and even healing.
Description: Zanite Ore is slightly rarer than Ambrosium Ore, and can be found on the sides of islands. Zanite Gemstones are dropped from these ore blocks, and can be used for a variety of recipes (including Zanite Tools and Zanite Armour).
Gravitite Ore - Enchanted Gravitite
Description: Gravitite Ore is the rarest ore-type in the Aether, and can be enchanted into "Enchanted Gravitite" blocks. Gravitite Ore, by default, will float up into the air. However, Enchanted Gravitite only floats up into the air when powered with redstone. Enchanted Gravitite is required to craft powerful Gravitite Tools and Armour.
Description: A decorative Pillar block found on the outside of Silver Dungeons.
Description: A decorative Pillar Top block found on the outside of Silver Dungeons.
Description: Ambrosium Torches are like regular torches, just crafted with Skyroot Sticks and Ambrosium Shards instead.
Description: Enchanters are a new type of tile entity which can be crafted. They require Holystone blocks and one Zanite Gemstone to craft. By default, it uses Ambrosium Shards as fuel, and can repair damaged tools or items; the more damaged the tool is, the more fuel it requires. It can also enchant a few existing items into more powerful versions.
Description: Incubators are a new type of tile entity which can be crafted. They require Holystone blocks and one Ambrosium Torch. By default, it used Ambrosium Torches as fuel, and can incubate Moa Eggs into Baby Moas.
Description: Locked Chests are found in Dungeons, and cannot be broken. To acquire their rare lot within, you must obtain a key from the Dungeon Boss.
Description: Decorative blocks found within the Aether Dungeons.
Description: Decorative blocks found within the Aether Dungeons which radiate a small amount of light.
Description: A slightly transparent block which is resistant to all explosions.
Description: Skyroot Sticks are used for several different crafting recipes. They are crafted with Skyroot Planks.
Description: Ambrosium Shards can be obtained from Ambrosium Ore blocks. Not only are they used for crafting torches and fueling Enchanters, they can be used as healing items as well.
Description: Zanite Gemstones are found from the Zanite Ore blocks. They can be used to craft a wide variety of items and blocks (including Enchanters, Zanite Toolsets, and Zanite Armour).
Cloud Parachutes - Golden Parachutes
Description: Clouds Parachutes are items which can be used to safely fall from the Aether. When you transition from the Aether to the Surface (upon falling) the Parachute will automatically activate and drift you down safely. These parachutes are a one use only, and can be manually activated as well. Golden Parachutes do the same, except have twenty uses.
Description: Moas, peaceful and majestic giant birds, populate the Aether in three different colours: Blue, White and Black. Wild Moas cannot be tamed, but they do occasionally drop eggs of their respective colour. These eggs can be incubated with the Incubator block (using Ambrosium Torches). Once incubated, they can be fed with the Aechor Petals of Aechor Plants. They require 8 petals in total to grow, but are not always hungry and will occasionally refuse your offer (which can be done by right clicking them with the Aechor Petal). When grown, you have now completely tamed the Moa, and a saddle can be placed on their backs to ride. Blue Moas can perform 3 mid-air jumps, White Moas can perform 4 mid-air jumps, and Black Moas can perform 8 mid-air jumps.
Description: Golden Amber is used to craft Golden Darts, and can be obtained by harvesting logs from a Golden Oak tree.
Description: Aechor Petals can be obtained from poisonous, purple Aechor Plants, and are used to create Poison Dart Shooters and feed Baby Moas.
Description: Dungeon Keys can be obtained by their respective Bosses. They are used to open the locked chest, which contains the Dungeon's rare loot.
Blue Music Disk
Description: Blue Music Disks can be obtained by enchanting a Green or Gold Music Disk. It will play a new song by author Noisestorm.
Description: Golden Darts can be crafted with Golden Amber, Skyroot Sticks, and Feathers. Additionally, you can enchant and poison these Golden Darts. Poison Darts are not affected by gravity, making it great for sniping down far-distance enemies.
Description: Dart Shooters can be crafted with Skyroot Planks and a Zanite Gemstone. They can also be enchanted to shoot Enchanted Darts, and combined with an Aechor Petal to shoot Poison Darts.
Description: The Skyroot Toolset is the weakest Toolset in the Aether. However, it has one of the best side-abilities, which is to gain double-drops from the blocks they mine and the enemies they kill. The double-drops cannot be abused though, as the Toolset will only return double drops from Generated blocks that have already existed in the world. You cannot place a dirt block and then mine it to get double drops, as it is NOT a generated block, it is placed by the player.
Description: The Holystone toolset is slightly more powerful than the Skyroot Toolset in terms of strength, and occasionally drops an extra Ambrosium Shard upon mining a block or attacking a mob.
Description: The Zanite Toolset is the second most powerful toolset, and has the side-ability of getting stronger the more you use it.
Description: The Gravitite Toolset is the strongest toolset. Normal harvesting tools can right click their respective blocks to make them float up, while the Gravitite Sword can launch mobs in the air when attacking.
Description: Skyroot Buckets can be crafted with three Skyroot Planks. They can collect Milk and Water, but not Lava. They can also collect poison from Aechor Plants, and those Poison Buckets can be enchanted into Remedy Buckets to heal your poison side-effects.
Description: Lore Books can be used to reveal more information about an item or block. Just right click while you have one in hand, and place an item or block in the slot. There are three volumes: One for the Surface, Nether and Aether. The Aether volume can be obtained when you first join the Aether. The rest can be obtained in Dungeon chests.
Description: Victory Medals are items which can be obtained by defeating Valkyries, protectors of the Silver Dungeon. They are used to prove your skills in fighting to the Silver boss.
Description: Zanite Armour has the strength of Iron, but gets stronger the more it is damaged.
Description: Gravitite Armour, when fully worn (with Gloves as well), will give you very high jumps. It will also prevent all fall damage. It are as strong as Diamond Armour.
Description: Above are all the Dungeon Rewards you can get. For the sake of surprise, I will not name or describe any of the rewards, so that you can get the best experience possible when looting Dungeons. You will get better rewards depending on what type of Dungeon you conquer. The blocks which make up a dungeon cannot be mined until the boss within is defeated.
Description: Bronze Dungeons are the easiest of the Dungeons to defeat, but are still challenging and yield very powerful rewards. The Boss within cannot be harmed with swords or projectiles, but instead requires a PICKAXE to defeat.
Description: Silver Dungeons are slightly harder than the Bronze Dungeon, and contain slightly more powerful rewards. These Dungeons are found in the skies as great temples, and are guarded by the humble natives of the Aether; the Valkyries. They will not fight you unless provoked, and honor a fair fight. Beware: not every chest is as it seems.
Description: Gold Dungeons are the hardest Dungeons to defeat, and contain the most powerful rewards and items in the mod. Unlike other Dungeons, the Gold Dungeon does not have any defenders leading up to the Boss; the Boss greets you as soon as you enter the Dungeon. This Dungeon can be found in giant floating mountains with a collection of Golden Oaks on the mountain's top. This Boss in particular cannot be harmed with any item in the game; you must figure out a way to defeat it once you confront it.
Poison Dart Shooter
Enchanting - Blue Music Disk
Enchanting - Repairing Damaged Tools
Enchanting - Gravitite Ore
Support the Aether Mod!
Just copy the code below and insert it into your signature.
Alternative Banners (Credits to Kanza and Divinux!):
- Hozz (for helping me with some Sprites)
- Firehazurd (for the idea of flying whales and moas)
- GreyAcumen + Community (for the idea of the Aether!)
- Kanza and Divinux for the alternate support banners.
~ Stay Tuned ~
Feb 17, 2013Posted in: Minecraft Mods
This mod adds three blocks that can store items just like a chest. But, barrels can only store one item type, but a lot of it. The quantity that is able to be stored varies by the type of barrel used.DownloadsPlease give this mod a if you like it!BlocksThis mod adds three blocks all storing different amounts of items.The most basic type, the Barrel can hold 64 stacks and is crafted as shown:
The second tier, called the Ender Barrel can hold 1028 stacks of items and is crafted as shown:
The best barrel, called the Quantum Barrel holds 4096 stacks of items and is crafted as shown:
- Note that these crafting recipes can be changed within the configuration file of the mod if you would like to change them.
- Capacities of barrels can also be configured there.
How to use BarrelsI made a video showing all the features of the mod:
How to installInstallation of any Minecraft mod is very easy. Instal the latest version of Minecraft Forge for your Minecraft version and run the game once. A folder in your installation of the game sound appear that is called "mods". Insert the barrels mod into the folder run the game and enjoy. There is no need to change anything in the installation file in order to get the mod to work no matter how many mods you previously had installed.
- You can put items into a barrel by right-clicking with your hand. All the items (if the barrels is not full) will be put into the barrels only if the item in your hand is matching the item, in the barrel.
- You can take items out by left-clicking the barrel as if you were braking it. It will take out a stack at a time. If you want to take out individual items, you can sneak (default key is shift) and click the barrel.
- If you want to put all the items in your inventory into the barrel, you can double right-click on the barrel.
- If you want to upgrade a barrel (a barrel is nearing or is at capacity), you can double right-click a barrel with a barrel that is of a higher capacity. This will swap the barrel that is in your inventory with the one that is in your world without having to replace it having to re-sort all your items. Make sure you only have one barrel in your inventory or it won't work.
- Barrels work with hoppers and dropper and other mods that have inventory changing blocks just like they would with chests, but only accept one item. Note that by default items can only exit/enter by the top and bottom. This can be changed in the configuration option.
- If you don't like the plain look of a barrel, you can put a item frame on a barrel and it will take full advantage of it. By sneaking (default key is shift) and right clicking a item from an a side of a barrel, the item frame is going to snap onto the barrel and display whatever is in the barrel. If you want to take a item frame off the barrel, just place another item frame and both will pop of the barrel.
- if you want to fit as many items from the barrel into your inventory, click one empty slot, then switch to another one and click again.
- if you want to pull out a specific amount of items, sneak and hold left click, one at a time, items will flow into your inventory. Depressing left click stops the items.
Feb 8, 2013Nuchaz posted a message on BiblioCraft [v2.4.5]-Bookcases, armor stands, shelves, printing presses, seats, clocks, the Atlas and more! Updated 06/21/2018Sorry about the link being down, It seems that Adfly has been down for the last hour according to http://www.isitdownr...com/adf.ly.htmlPosted in: Minecraft Mods
I posted an alternate link under the download section to try to counter these down times. BiblioCraft v[1.0.0] can now also be downloaded from -removed dead link-
Jul 9, 2011--PLEASE DO A SEARCH FOR A MOD BEFORE YOU SUGGEST IT, JUST IN CASE IT ALREADY EXISTS--Posted in: Requests / Ideas For Mods
--Also, please don't request tech mods. There are already enough of these--
--All mods that are requested will require Minecraft Forge--
--I will not edit base classes without a legitimate reason to do so--
--I am looking for intriguing mod ideas, so if your request has some merit, I will consider it--
--If you request a mod that can be done with BBMM, I will kindly redirect you to it--
-Mods I'm Working On-
Building Blocks Mod Maker
-Mods I'm Looking Into-
None - Not taking requests at this time
Please post your request with detailed, LEGIBLE information and I will try and get back with you.
Feel free to download any of the mods here!
-Mods I've Completed-
I'd prefer if you would use the adfly links because I am taking time out of my schedule working on three other mods as well as your requests and I consider it a courtesy service, so please use the adfly links. The direct links are just there to show how courteous I am. But seriously. Use the adfly links. The direct links will make your computer explode.
--Newest Mods for 1.4.7--
Flight Ring v1.0.0 - Requested by KasaraEm13
THESE ARE SO OUTDATED AND I DO NOT INTEND ON UPDATING THEM EVER, MAJORITY OF THESE CAN BE MADE WITH MY MOD, BBMM IF YOU WANT TO USE THEM
--Back from the ModLoader days--
Rocky Dirt (link absent due to request of creator) - Idea by Nathan99
Bronze - Idea by L4rsThomas, new ores and tool/armor set
Natural Gunpowder - Idea by ErrantBlood, easier gunpowder.
Better Tnt - Idea by mdgates, cheaper recipe, more yield.
New Recipes - Original mod by me, new ways to make stone, grass, flint and sandstone in 2x and 3x grids.
Sponges - Original mod by me, floating sponges will now generate in water. They are useless, but you can use them for decoration.
Glowing Glass - Original mod by me, creates a new type of class that gives level 15 light and is craftable with 7 glass and 2 glowstone blocks.
Jelly Beans - Idea by PhoenixFireFang, this adds jelly beans to the game! Check page 10 for explanations.
Kyler's Ores - Idea by Kyler, adds four new ores and tool sets to the game.
Nether Food - Idea by Metasponge64, adds a new meat and a new bread to the game.
Pork Tools - Idea by WeeMakeVideos, adds a new toolset made from pork.
Processed Cobblestone - Idea by Fuzzayy, Just an easy way to store your extra cobblestone into one block.
Feb 23, 2013Posted in: Minecraft ModsDragon Tools
Continued from PyroOfZen's workv1.3
Dragon Tools is a mod that adds a sweet new array of tools and armour made of ender steel. The mod adds a couple new items and blocks, as well as a new ore which only generates in the land of the dragon--The End.
Dragon tools have 2342 durability and are 75% faster than diamond tools and are as good as gold tools/armor when enchanting. They are made out of a special metal called Ender Ingots, which are made by smelting an Unrefined Ender Ingot in a furnace.
All of the items that this mod will add to Minecraft.
From left to right - Dragonstone, Unrefined Ender Ingot, Ender Ingot, Dragon Sword, Dragon Pickaxe, Dragon Shovel, Dragon Axe, Dragon Hoe, Dragon Helmet, Dragon Body, Dragon Legs, Dragon Boots. The wall the item frames are on is made of Blocks of Ender (green) and Dragonstone (purple).
These veins are found anywhere in The End, be it on the surface, or underground. Be careful excavating in this disastrous place. Be sure to keep the dragon away from these ores, as he will destroy them upon impact, unlike End Stone and Obsidian.
As you can see, they drop Dragonstone immediately, so there's no need to smelt the ore.
Unrefined Ender Ingot
These are the rough forms of an Ender Ingot, before the materials are properly smelted into an alloy. The use of the crafting table is merely to form a mobile clump of metal out of the materials used. Refine it to receive an
This mystical metal is used in the forging of all the Dragon Tools and Armour.
As you can see, the crafting recipes for all of the tools are the same as vanilla, however, a wooden handle is too fragile to contain the weight of the metal, so a stronger metal is required. Blaze Rods are used in place of sticks in all of the recipes.
Armors also use the same recipes as vanilla. No Blaze Rods or other materials are required to make armor. They only require ingots.
Dragon Bow uses a quite expensive recipe as its strong.
Dragon Arrows use's almost the same recipe as vanilla arrows does, except for the rod and ingot.
For the Featherless Dragon Arrow just put a feather under it in the crafting grid.
Both Dragonstone and Ender Ingots can be welded into Blocks of Dragonstone and Ender respectively. These blocks can be placed anywhere in the crafting grid to get the materials back.
So, as you may have noticed, the tools and armour are end game material and rather expensive, but if you think that beating the Ender Dragon doesn't yield enough of a reward, this is the mod for you.
v1.3 - Download Dragon Tools (1.5.1) Forge
v1.2 - Download Dragon Tools (1.5) Forge
v1.1 - Download Dragon Tools (1.4.7) Forge
v1.0 - Download Dragon Tools (1.4.7) Forge
1. Download latest recommended Forge here.
2. Download WinRaR or 7-Zip and install.
3. Install Forge by dragging everything from the .zip to the minecraft.jar [DELETE META-INF] (minecraft.jar is located in (C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin) [YOURUSER would be your PC username].
4. Download the mod and put the .zip file into the mods folder. Run Minecraft. Enjoy!
CreditAll Credit goes to PyroOfZen
- Updated to 1.5.1.
- Updated to 1.5.
- Fixed FeatherlessDragonArrow not being picked up after Dragon Arrow shot.
- Tweaked Dragonstone ore spawn rates in The End.
- Tweaked the Dragon Tools.
- Dragon Bow; fires Dragon Arrows.
- Dragon Arrows; contain the heat of the Nether within. When fired, the heat is unleashed, causing anything it hits to die a fiery death. The heat of the arrow is so intense at this point, that it even destroys the feather flight.
- Featherless Dragon Arrows; mere materials. When picking up a Dragon Arrow that has been fired from the Dragon Bow, because of the heat destroying the feather flight, you may only retrieve a Featherless Dragon Arrow. To make it into a Dragon Arrow again, just put it in the crafting table with a feather.
- Armor/Tools now have the same enchantment level as gold.
- Released Dragon Tools to the public.
- Adds Dragon Sword, Pickaxe, Shovel, Axe, Hoe, Helmet, Body, Legs, Boots, Dragonstone, Unrefined Ender Ingot, Ender Ingot, Block of Dragonstone, Block of Ender and Dragonstone Ore.
You may not redistribute this mod anywhere on the internet or other means. This mod is for personal use only, as long as it is kept in its unedited form. You may make videos (mod reviews or let's plays) that involve this mod if you so wish, even for money, but only in-game footage or installation tutorials. If you have any questions or are experiencing problems, contact me on these forums and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
If you have any ideas that could add more to this mod, feel free to share them.
May 11, 2011Update: This thread is kind of old. Yes, it's been necro'd a few times, and I'm glad for that. But this thread was created before we even knew that there would be ocelots in the game. At one point there were some people interested in doing this as a mod, but they kind of lost interest when ocelots were officially released. I'd still like to see cats done as a block, but any way you slice it, they're going to have to share the spotlight with some pretty frisky official vanilla Minecraft cats.Posted in: Suggestions
This is also a Mod Request in that forum, to see if there are any modders who may have missed this thread, but might want to try doing a cat block.
For the people who want cats in the game, I suggest: not a mob, but a block. You cannot craft a cat block; they must be found. Sometimes they are found curled up in dungeon chests, but they are also found in the wild in any biome, in the branches of trees, and even in the shallower parts of natural caves. The cat block can be picked up (by punching it, the usual minecraft method of picking things up) and placed anywhere, as a normal block. I personally plan to put one on top of my bookshelf. You cannot stack cats in your inventory.
The cat block's normal state is asleep, with eyes closed. Cat blocks sleep all the time. They don't chase mice, they don't meow. They don't run around. Running around all crazy-like is for wolves.
However, a cat block can be woken up. Right-clicking on the cat block will cause it to open its eyes for 8 seconds, after which they will automatically close again.
A cat block can be fed cooked fish or raw fish, but this has no effect. The cat simply eats your food. Cats do not show gratitude.
Other mobs, including wolves, ignore the cat block, and the cat block ignores them.
Cat blocks come various colours (see images, below). Cat blocks cannot be dyed (or can they? read the rest of the thread for discussion; it's never too late to weigh in).
Other Ideas from the thread that need work/playtesting:
Cats might scare away spiders. Spiders won't approach within X squares of a Cat Block unless they are pushed or attacked first. Perhaps the cat's eyes must be open for this function to work, and it needs to be fed fish (raw or cooked) to keep it awake. Tentatively, 1 piece of fish or 1 bucket of milk will keep the cat awake for 1 minute. Every time you feed the cat, the timer is reset to 1 minute. Credit to ThatDutchIdiot for development of this idea.
When you walk on a Cat Block, instead of the normal footstep, it makes a tiny fraction of a purring sound.
Quote from toatanu »I just thought that a cat block should occasionally delete, spawn a cat mob, have the cat MOB walk to another position on cobblestone, brick, obsidian, planks, or other crafted blocks near(five blocks?) it, then despawn and put a sleeping cat BLOCK placed there. Kinda like sand that moves when it decides to, and horizontal.
Quote from valdarkit should be a mob that wanders in a set area and picking it up and placing it "tames" it.
Edit for Images!
[Face] [Block's Left]
[Face] [Top, Right, Back, and Bottom]
Quote from PugRme »
Quote from llama66613 »Nether Cat
Okay, so I'm not the best artist. This is just to give an idea of what such a block might look like.
Ceiling Cat is Watching You Masturbate
Half-Block Cat variant
Quote from DigitalBoy
This is sort of what I want a cat block to look like, part block and part mob.
Nov 19, 2011PLEASE READ AND RESPOND TO POLL BEFORE POSTING. Thank you.Posted in: Suggestions
Summary of Goals
The purpose of this petition is two-fold:
1)Improve the current swamp biome transitions.
This can be done by editing the code of the overlay, or by getting rid of the overlay and inserting the new swamp coloration into the grasscolor.png. This would allow swamps to remain the color they are at present AND smooth the transitions.
2)Make the swamp overlay a png that can be edited with a texture pack.
This will not change the current color, if you like the swamps the way they are now. It will only allow us to change the color if we so desire using texture packs. There is no reason we should not be able to edit the overlay using a texture pack. None.
With the release of 1.8 came a new biome type, the swamp biome. This watery terrain where trees grew submerged in shallow pools and vines hung thick from leaves was, to many a minecrafter, very beautiful.
But then came the first 1.9 pre-release, and suddenly our magical swamps became dark and gloomy, like something out of Mordor. Not only that, but the borders did not blend at all with the normal minecraft world- the black grass of the swamps cut like a knife edge across the soft natural colors of the surrounding biomes. The eerie green water also left a jagged border through the smooth blue oceans.
When we first saw this sudden change, we grimaced and cringed, but faithfully continued to believe that the dark purple swamp overlay would be fixed in a later pre-release version. Surely, surely, the good people at Mojang would have to realize just how truly hideous the swamps were. They must play their own game, after all.
1.9.2 came and went, then 1.9.3, then 1.9.4, then 1.9.5 and 1.9.6, and finally RC1 and RC2, and yet still the swamps remained as hideous and harsh as ever, sticking out like a sore thumb in the Minecraft terrain. The worst part was that they were completely unable to be changed by texture packs, as the purple overlay was written straight into the code of the game.
Yet still, like the good fans that we are, we held out hope that the full release of Minecraft would finally bring a resolution to the swamp eyesore.
But now here we are, the day after the full release of Minecraft. And the swamps are still as ugly as they were the day the first 1.9 pre-release came out.
On behalf of each an every disappointed and disgruntled fan, I would like to present the people at Mojang with the following screenshots of the swamps as they appear in 1.0.0, for proof that our complaints are justified:
In light of this evidence, I would like to respectfully request that the people of Mojang make the improvement of swamps a priority for the next update. The following two changes are imperative:
1) Smoother transitions between the swamps and surrounding biomes
2) Swamp overlays that are NOT hardcoded, and can be changed by texture packs.
Sincerely, The Signed:
*click the button to see the list of signatories*
-Liquid Metal Slime
-Razor - Brony
-J Awesome Factor
-Wasabi of IP
-Curtis The Epic
-Teh Blue Arrow
If you agree with this letter of petition, please leave a comment with the phrase '/signed', and your name will be added to the list of supporters.
NEW! Send Jeb a tweet telling him to fix the swamps! Don't forget include a link to this thread!
Support this petition on getsatisfaction!
Support this petition on reddit!
Show your support for our cause! Paste one of these banners into your signature and spread the word:
Nov 19, 2011Main Idea:Posted in: Suggestions
Golden chickens would make breeding essential for obtaining better arrows. They would also be the only breedable mob that the Player must have first spawned themselves.
I am making a short animated video about this suggestion that y'all can support on the you tubes. When it's done, a link will be posted here. Be sure to check back
around January, as that is when I plan to be completed.often.
How it works:
These probably won't change
These could change
- There would be a 3/5 chance to find a Golden Egg in Dungeons chests, 4/5 in Stronghold chests.
- Once you obtain an egg, it has a 1/4 chance of hatching a Golden Chick when thrown on the ground, because of their rarity.
- In order to get another Golden Chicken easily, you would have to breed it with a Normal Chicken.
- There would be a 50/50 chance of Normal or Golden Chicken, similar to breeding Mooshrooms and Cows.
- Once it's full grown, it will lay an egg every 30 minutes - 1 hour while alive, making the eggs very rare.
- It would be smart to continue breeding these chickens.
- Instead of dropping normal Feathers they would drop Golden Feathers.
- It would also drop Raw Chicken, like Normal Chicken.
- The new feathers can be crafted with Flint and a
Blaze RodBone to make Great Arrows.
- These arrows to
2x 1.5x1.2x as much damage as normal arrows and 2x knockback.
- Since they require quite a bit of work, they would also be obtainable as loot in dungeons only, with a max of 15 per loot chest.
- Great Arrows would not only make the Enderdragon a bit easier to defeat, but they would make archery a better form of attack in SMP.
- A stronger variation of Skeleton that shoots only Great Arrows.
- Lore: Golden Chickens are an extinct species of Chicken that were around back in the day when the Strongholds/Dungeons were constructed.
- Feed a Golden Chicken seeds, and it may just become your pet. This would be very lulzy, as it would do nothing when you were attacked by an enemy.
- That last one was a joke. [But we all know Notch is troll, so maybe...]
- New cake?
Just copy and paste the code snipet into your signature on your profile editor.
I got this idea from the golden chicken picture on the Wondercraft poster.
Please, feel free to suggest any ideas you have.
Oct 23, 2011User:Posted in: DiscussionOnce upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,Pass:
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.
And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'
Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Lenore!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Lenore!'
Merely this and nothing more.
Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'
Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.
Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.'
But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said, `Nevermore.'
Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
`Doubtless,' said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore
But the raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking `Nevermore.'
This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion's velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o'er,
But whose velvet violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,
She shall press, ah, nevermore!
Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
`Wretch,' I cried, `thy God hath lent thee - by these angels he has sent thee
Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us - by that God we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden, whom the angels named Lenore?'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness. Wretched is he who looks back upon lone hours in vast and dismal chambers with brown hangings and maddening rows of antique books, or upon awed watches in twilight groves of grotesque, gigantic, and vine-encumbered trees that silently wave twisted branches far aloft. Such a lot the gods gave to me—to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken. And yet I am strangely content, and cling desperately to those sere memories, when my mind momentarily threatens to reach beyond to the other.
I know not where I was born, save that the castle was infinitely old and infinitely horrible; full of dark passages and having high ceilings where the eye could find only cobwebs and shadows. The stones in the crumbling corridors seemed always hideously damp, and there was an accursed smell everywhere, as of the piled-up corpses of dead generations. It was never light, so that I used sometimes to light candles and gaze steadily at them for relief; nor was there any sun outdoors, since the terrible trees grew high above the topmost accessible tower. There was one black tower which reached above the trees into the unknown outer sky, but that was partly ruined and could not be ascended save by a well-nigh impossible climb up the sheer wall, stone by stone.
I must have lived years in this place, but I cannot measure the time. Beings must have cared for my needs, yet I cannot recall any person except myself; or anything alive but the noiseless rats and bats and spiders. I think that whoever nursed me must have been shockingly aged, since my first conception of a living person was that of something mockingly like myself, yet distorted, shrivelled, and decaying like the castle. To me there was nothing grotesque in the bones and skeletons that strowed some of the stone crypts deep down among the foundations. I fantastically associated these things with every-day events, and thought them more natural than the coloured pictures of living beings which I found in many of the mouldy books. From such books I learned all that I know. No teacher urged or guided me, and I do not recall hearing any human voice in all those years—not even my own; for although I had read of speech, I had never thought to try to speak aloud. My aspect was a matter equally unthought of, for there were no mirrors in the castle, and I merely regarded myself by instinct as akin to the youthful figures I saw drawn and painted in the books. I felt conscious of youth because I remembered so little.
Outside, across the putrid moat and under the dark mute trees, I would often lie and dream for hours about what I read in the books; and would longingly picture myself amidst gay crowds in the sunny world beyond the endless forest. Once I tried to escape from the forest, but as I went farther from the castle the shade grew denser and the air more filled with brooding fear; so that I ran frantically back lest I lose my way in a labyrinth of nighted silence.
So through endless twilights I dreamed and waited, though I knew not what I waited for. Then in the shadowy solitude my longing for light grew so frantic that I could rest no more, and I lifted entreating hands to the single black ruined tower that reached above the forest into the unknown outer sky. And at last I resolved to scale that tower, fall though I might; since it were better to glimpse the sky and perish, than to live without ever beholding day.
In the dank twilight I climbed the worn and aged stone stairs till I reached the level where they ceased, and thereafter clung perilously to small footholds leading upward. Ghastly and terrible was that dead, stairless cylinder of rock; black, ruined, and deserted, and sinister with startled bats whose wings made no noise. But more ghastly and terrible still was the slowness of my progress; for climb as I might, the darkness overhead grew no thinner, and a new chill as of haunted and venerable mould assailed me. I shivered as I wondered why I did not reach the light, and would have looked down had I dared. I fancied that night had come suddenly upon me, and vainly groped with one free hand for a window embrasure, that I might peer out and above, and try to judge the height I had attained.
All at once, after an infinity of awesome, sightless crawling up that concave and desperate precipice, I felt my head touch a solid thing, and I knew I must have gained the roof, or at least some kind of floor. In the darkness I raised my free hand and tested the barrier, finding it stone and immovable. Then came a deadly circuit of the tower, clinging to whatever holds the slimy wall could give; till finally my testing hand found the barrier yielding, and I turned upward again, pushing the slab or door with my head as I used both hands in my fearful ascent. There was no light revealed above, and as my hands went higher I knew that my climb was for the nonce ended; since the slab was the trap-door of an aperture leading to a level stone surface of greater circumference than the lower tower, no doubt the floor of some lofty and capacious observation chamber. I crawled through carefully, and tried to prevent the heavy slab from falling back into place; but failed in the latter attempt. As I lay exhausted on the stone floor I heard the eerie echoes of its fall, but hoped when necessary to pry it open again.
Believing I was now at a prodigious height, far above the accursed branches of the wood, I dragged myself up from the floor and fumbled about for windows, that I might look for the first time upon the sky, and the moon and stars of which I had read. But on every hand I was disappointed; since all that I found were vast shelves of marble, bearing odious oblong boxes of disturbing size. More and more I reflected, and wondered what hoary secrets might abide in this high apartment so many aeons cut off from the castle below. Then unexpectedly my hands came upon a doorway, where hung a portal of stone, rough with strange chiselling. Trying it, I found it locked; but with a supreme burst of strength I overcame all obstacles and dragged it open inward. As I did so there came to me the purest ecstasy I have ever known; for shining tranquilly through an ornate grating of iron, and down a short stone passageway of steps that ascended from the newly found doorway, was the radiant full moon, which I had never before seen save in dreams and in vague visions I dared not call memories.
Fancying now that I had attained the very pinnacle of the castle, I commenced to rush up the few steps beyond the door; but the sudden veiling of the moon by a cloud caused me to stumble, and I felt my way more slowly in the dark. It was still very dark when I reached the grating—which I tried carefully and found unlocked, but which I did not open for fear of falling from the amazing height to which I had climbed. Then the moon came out.
Most daemoniacal of all shocks is that of the abysmally unexpected and grotesquely unbelievable. Nothing I had before undergone could compare in terror with what I now saw; with the bizarre marvels that sight implied. The sight itself was as simple as it was stupefying, for it was merely this: instead of a dizzying prospect of treetops seen from a lofty eminence, there stretched around me on a level through the grating nothing less than the solid ground, decked and diversified by marble slabs and columns, and overshadowed by an ancient stone church, whose ruined spire gleamed spectrally in the moonlight.
Half unconscious, I opened the grating and staggered out upon the white gravel path that stretched away in two directions. My mind, stunned and chaotic as it was, still held the frantic craving for light; and not even the fantastic wonder which had happened could stay my course. I neither knew nor cared whether my experience was insanity, dreaming, or magic; but was determined to gaze on brilliance and gaiety at any cost. I knew not who I was or what I was, or what my surroundings might be; though as I continued to stumble along I became conscious of a kind of fearsome latent memory that made my progress not wholly fortuitous. I passed under an arch out of that region of slabs and columns, and wandered through the open country; sometimes following the visible road, but sometimes leaving it curiously to tread across meadows where only occasional ruins bespoke the ancient presence of a forgotten road. Once I swam across a swift river where crumbling, mossy masonry told of a bridge long vanished.
Over two hours must have passed before I reached what seemed to be my goal, a venerable ivied castle in a thickly wooded park; maddeningly familiar, yet full of perplexing strangeness to me. I saw that the moat was filled in, and that some of the well-known towers were demolished; whilst new wings existed to confuse the beholder. But what I observed with chief interest and delight were the open windows—gorgeously ablaze with light and sending forth sound of the gayest revelry. Advancing to one of these I looked in and saw an oddly dressed company, indeed; making merry, and speaking brightly to one another. I had never, seemingly, heard human speech before; and could guess only vaguely what was said. Some of the faces seemed to hold expressions that brought up incredibly remote recollections; others were utterly alien.
I now stepped through the low window into the brilliantly lighted room, stepping as I did so from my single bright moment of hope to my blackest convulsion of despair and realisation. The nightmare was quick to come; for as I entered, there occurred immediately one of the most terrifying demonstrations I had ever conceived. Scarcely had I crossed the sill when there descended upon the whole company a sudden and unheralded fear of hideous intensity, distorting every face and evoking the most horrible screams from nearly every throat. Flight was universal, and in the clamour and panic several fell in a swoon and were dragged away by their madly fleeing companions. Many covered their eyes with their hands, and plunged blindly and awkwardly in their race to escape; overturning furniture and stumbling against the walls before they managed to reach one of the many doors.
The cries were shocking; and as I stood in the brilliant apartment alone and dazed, listening to their vanishing echoes, I trembled at the thought of what might be lurking near me unseen. At a casual inspection the room seemed deserted, but when I moved toward one of the alcoves I thought I detected a presence there—a hint of motion beyond the golden-arched doorway leading to another and somewhat similar room. As I approached the arch I began to perceive the presence more clearly; and then, with the first and last sound I ever uttered—a ghastly ululation that revolted me almost as poignantly as its noxious cause—I beheld in full, frightful vividness the inconceivable, indescribable, and unmentionable monstrosity which had by its simple appearance changed a merry company to a herd of delirious fugitives.
I cannot even hint what it was like, for it was a compound of all that is unclean, uncanny, unwelcome, abnormal, and detestable. It was the ghoulish shade of decay, antiquity, and desolation; the putrid, dripping eidolon of unwholesome revelation; the awful baring of that which the merciful earth should always hide. God knows it was not of this world—or no longer of this world—yet to my horror I saw in its eaten-away and bone-revealing outlines a leering, abhorrent travesty on the human shape; and in its mouldy, disintegrating apparel an unspeakable quality that chilled me even more.
I was almost paralysed, but not too much so to make a feeble effort toward flight; a backward stumble which failed to break the spell in which the nameless, voiceless monster held me. My eyes, bewitched by the glassy orbs which stared loathsomely into them, refused to close; though they were mercifully blurred, and shewed the terrible object but indistinctly after the first shock. I tried to raise my hand to shut out the sight, yet so stunned were my nerves that my arm could not fully obey my will. The attempt, however, was enough to disturb my balance; so that I had to stagger forward several steps to avoid falling. As I did so I became suddenly and agonisingly aware of the nearness of the carrion thing, whose hideous hollow breathing I half fancied I could hear. Nearly mad, I found myself yet able to throw out a hand to ward off the foetid apparition which pressed so close; when in one cataclysmic second of cosmic nightmarishness and hellish accident my fingers touched the rotting outstretched paw of the monster beneath the golden arch.
I did not shriek, but all the fiendish ghouls that ride the night-wind shrieked for me as in that same second there crashed down upon my mind a single and fleeting avalanche of soul-annihilating memory. I knew in that second all that had been; I remembered beyond the frightful castle and the trees, and recognised the altered edifice in which I now stood; I recognised, most terrible of all, the unholy abomination that stood leering before me as I withdrew my sullied fingers from its own.
But in the cosmos there is balm as well as bitterness, and that balm is nepenthe. In the supreme horror of that second I forgot what had horrified me, and the burst of black memory vanished in a chaos of echoing images. In a dream I fled from that haunted and accursed pile, and ran swiftly and silently in the moonlight. When I returned to the churchyard place of marble and went down the steps I found the stone trap-door immovable; but I was not sorry, for I had hated the antique castle and the trees. Now I ride with the mocking and friendly ghouls on the night-wind, and play by day amongst the catacombs of Nephren-Ka in the sealed and unknown valley of Hadoth by the Nile. I know that light is not for me, save that of the moon over the rock tombs of Neb, nor any gaiety save the unnamed feasts of Nitokris beneath the Great Pyramid; yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage.
For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men. This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass.
- To post a comment, please login.