Before I begin with my suggestions, Greg, I have to say that I really, really like what you've done thus far with the mod. I like your other mods too, Greg's Lighting in particular.
As for suggestions, I noticed your todo list in one your posts from a few days ago. I think just refining what you have so far is the best option for now.
- Powering a gate with red clamps sounds most excellent, but I would ask for Universal Electricity support as well, since I rarely use IC2. (Off-topic: UE support for your powered floodlights in Greg's Lighting would be sweet.)
- I know you've implemented one-way travel in your config. Additional options to kill players for entering 1) incoming wormholes, and 2) the backside of the stargate would allow for even more series-correctness.
- Ability to prevent a stargate from being successfully dialled by filling in the empty space in the middle with blocks. If you added an iris feature perhaps it could even work with this mechanic?
- The unstable vortex caused by the formation of the event horizon already kills entities in its way. Destroying blocks in the same fashion would be splendid too.
- Dialling procedure adjustments. Currently when an incorrect or inaccessible gate address is entered, the dialling failure happens instantly. It would be more faithful to the series to lock each of the first 6 chevrons, and then only fail on the final locking attempt if a gate doesn't exist or cannot be reached. This would allow for other interesting scenarios such as getting an incoming wormhole while dialling or conversely interrupting another gate's dialling sequence by connecting to it.
- Horizontal gates: Yes please
- Irises: Again, yes please (with GDO remotes of course)
- If you provide an option for a gate with constellations instead of hieroglyphs being able to use hieroglyph gates and constellation gates side-by-side would be very cool, and leads me to my next suggestion: Pegasus gates. Animation for these would be relatively easy as there's no mechanical rotation of an inner ring, just dot patterns of Pegasus constellations that light up for each chevron during dialling. Additionally, as an alternative to an iris, a forcefield. (With a system where placing blocks in the middle of the gate structure interferes with incoming wormholes, one might even be able to simulate a feature like this using MFFS.)
- The event horizon should be a light source, if possible.
- Additional chevrons in the dial sequence. I've no idea what a ninth chevron could do, but the extant incompatibility with Galacticraft dimensions could be solved (if it is an addressing problem anyway) by extending the addressing system to use an eighth chevron for reaching these dimensions.
I have a few other ideas, but I'll leave it at this for now. Thank you for doing what you've done so far with the mod, and I hope you'll take these ideas into consideration.