The Beacon is actually very useful for big mining projects. Simply place it where you plan on mining either a large mountain, or just a large chunk of ground, and then slap Haste II on it. Grab your Efficiency V Diamond Pickaxe, and you have insta-mine. Blast through that annoying bump in your flat land in no time, or speed up mining projects by a factor of ten. This is even more powerful because of the fact that your Efficiency V pick can be enchanted with Mending so it will likely last for as long as it takes to mine the area that the beacon gives you the effect for. I can see your point, but notice that you are only explaining the haste use...
Now, that being said, I do think the Beacon should have a few more uses. Some of the effects like Speed or Jump Boost aren't that useful within the tiny range of even a level 4 Beacon. I think certain effects like that should extend out much further, but also, you should be able to use the Beacon for other things like preventing mob spawns within a certain radius. (Very useful for purely scenic dark areas that you don't want mobs in, or just making sure areas like Villages or Mines are safer to work in.) Good idea. You should really make a thread on that!
But this isn't about improving the Beacon, this is about the Withered Emblem. I don't like the one-per-world idea, because then it's very easy to lose forever. I'm not sure how I feel about giving players the power to inflict Wither, although it might encourage players to start carrying around Buckets of Milk. (I actually never do this, because you can usually keep yourself safe from Poison by hiding in a safe area and eating enough to heal yourself.) I never thought about buckets of milk. That would be good, though.
Now, in order to make the "one-per-world" idea work, I think that an item with the Withered Emblem should:
- Never Despawn Okay, good idea.
- Cannot be destroyed by cactus or in lava or fire. (It just bounces on the surface of lava.) Okay...
- Cannot be destroyed by falling anvils or explosions. Definitly
- When a player with the Withered Emblem or Withered Item is killed by another player, the item does not drop, instead, the other player instantly receives the item. If the player that made the kill has a full inventory, it will be dropped next to him. Ooh... you could make some really good minigames after this...
- If the item is thrown into the void, which is the only way to properly destroy it, then the next wither that is killed will drop a Withered Emblem.
In addition, to make this a bit more balanced, there should be more emblems for which only one can exist at a time. That way the player with the Withered Emblem isn't the only super-powered player on the server. Maybe an Ocean Emblem or Ender Emblem? Man, I am gonna have to spend a good time updating this thread from Wither Emblems to Emblems. Thanks for everything though! I should have this thread edited by Wednesday, so check it out when I'm done!
Responses in Italic