What it does
This mod adds musical instruments that allow you to play music in MML format. This is a format already used in some popular online games so there are many tunes available or you can create your own. You can play solo or in groups of up to eight players.
If you experience a crash, PLEASE open an issue and include crash logs.
If you are a MODPACK Author, please encourage your player base to send crash reports relating to mxTune. I can't fix things I don't know about. Please report issues on the mxTune projects page in CurseForge.
What is MML
MML, or Music Macro Language, is a simple way to represent musical notes, rests, and volume levels in ASCII text form. For more information please visit these sites:
MML Compatibility with other games
I've followed the Mabinogi version to a point, but singing is not supported. I plan to support MIDI channel 10 for General Midi percussion.
Demo of the new Simple MML Editor Dialog
Mod Spotlight by LeKoopa
How to use it
Grab some Music Paper from Creative mode or craft it from four pieces of paper and one ink sack. See more recipes farther down in the post.
Hold the Music Paper in your main hand and right click air to open the dialog. If you hold an entire stack you will create a stack of the same piece of music. Enter a title in the upper text box and paste or type well formed MML into the center text box. The Done button will not activate if the MML entered does not contain a proper header "[email protected]" and and ending semi-colon ";". The MML is parsed in real time and it cannot be saved it there are errors. Errors will be displayed in red. Click on an error and the cursor in the editor will move to the error. If the MML parses without error the Play button on the left can be used to play the MML. A choice of instruments is listed on the left.
Click Done and the item changes into a piece of Sheet Music.
To play the enclosed MML, the Sheet Music must be placed into the inventory of an instrument. Hold an instrument, then SNEAK and Right Click. Place the Sheet Music into the slot and close the inventory.
To play the instrument, hold it in your main hand and simply Right Click to Activate. While playing you will be unable to move. If you want to stop playing you can press the ESC key. While holding an instrument the HUD will display the title and status in the upper left hand corner of the screen. This is currently hardcoded, but I intend to make if possible to configure the HUD layout.
Piano Interactions. The piano does not have a inventory GUI like the handheld instrument. Once it's placed into the world it works like this
- To place Sheet Music on the Piano Rack, hold a piece of Sheet Music in your main hand and right click the the piano.
- To sit at the piano, right click it with your main hand. Note you can't sit at a piano unless there is a piece of Sheet Music on the rack. To dismount press the left shift key. To REMOVE a piece of Sheet Music SNEAK and right click the piano.
- To play the piano there must be Sheet Music on the rack and your must be sitting at the piano, then right click the piano to begin playing.
This is going to be a bit buggy since I just added this new block instrument recently. It made me realize I need to review the current system and refactor it to make it cleaner. There are blatant holes in various interactions. See if you can find them.
A basic party system was created that does not rely on the vanilla teams system. A party can have up to eight players. Members can be removed or promoted to leader. A member may leave at will. If a member dies or they leave the game they are ejected from the party automatically. Members of a party cannot sleep.
Create a Party
Press "J" to create or open an existing party. If it's a new party you are the leader and your name will be at the top of the list once you click OK.
Join a Party
Parties are not secure at this time so anyone can join. Security will be added later. To join a party look for a player with music note placard over their head and Right Click on them. You will be presented with a dialog that gives you the options to join the leaders party
To Join the party Right-Click the leader.
Click Yes to join the party.
Welcome to the Group!
Group Members. Note the Party HUD upper left. The leaders placard has a star.
Leaders Party Dialog (J to open). Note the small buttons to the right of the 2nd member. The leader can (D)elete, or promote the member to (L)eader.
Members Party Dialog (J to open)
Playing Music while in a Party (Jam Session)
The purpose of the group play is to ensure players are synchronized when they play. The leader initiates the start of the session, but before that can happen all the other members need to queue up their parts. The process is the same as playing solo: Place the music in the instrument inventory, then while holding the instrument right-click the air. While in a group as a non-leader your placard will turn green, but you will not begin to play. Once everyone is ready, the leader just starts to play the usual way and the music starts.
These are placeholders
Latest development release - Mute Options added
Intended for multiplayer mode of course. At the moment players must be online for you to move them to the desired list.
Here's a run down of the Mute options (Changes with each click of the button):
- Mute Off - You can hear everything.
- Mute Others - Just hear yourself. Others can still hear you though. You can't JOIN a JAM.
- Mute Blacklist - Hear everyone except members on the Blacklist. You can still hear them if they are a member of a JAM, but not if they are the leader of the JAM.
- Allow Whitelist - Only hear yourself and music from players on the Whitelist. If a member is the leader of the JAM then you will hear ALL the members of the JAM.
- Mute All - effectively disables all MML Music.
None of the options will STOP currently playing music, but they will prevent you from hearing newly launched tunes.
- Adjust HUD - Choose the position of the on screen mxTune status widget.
- Arrow Buttons ">", "<" - Situated between the lists, these are used to move players between the lists. Click on a player to select them, then click the appropriate arrow button.
- Done - Make sure to click this to save your changes.
- Cancel - Abort changes and return to the game.
Note: The mxTune volume is controlled by Players volume control from the vanilla Music & Sound Option dialog.
Current Beta Release Notes: mxtune-1.12.1-0.6.0-beta.4
- BEFORE UPDATING TO THIS MXTUNE VERSION IN AN EXISTING WORLD
- PLACE ALL OF YOUR SHEET MUSIC AND ITEM INSTRUMENTS IN VANILLA CHESTS AND/OR PLAYER INVENTORY. SHEET MUSIC IN PIANOS PLACED IN THE WORLD WILL BE UPDATED.
- FAILURE TO DO DO WILL RESULT IN BROKEN SHEET MUSIC THAT CANNOT BE USED
- The sheet music format changed. Added a song duration field and changed the internal nbt tag name from MusicBook to SheetMusic. Because of this I added a DATA-FIXER to update sheet music. It will only update sheet music to the new format in vanilla chests and player inventory. The sheet music loaded in instruments will also be updated provided they too are in vanilla chests or player inventory.
- New block: Band Amp - Lets you play multi-instrument MML Music. Place the music into the instruments and add them to the Band Amp inventory. It is red-stone and hopper friendly. Use these features to automate playing tunes in sequence using mine carts, etc. That's right it's a low tier musical automata. There are 12 slots. Yes you can now play Maple Story 2 (MS2) MML 10 part, 10 piece JAMS, though you are stuck with current Mabinogi compatible instruments at the moment. The existing Orchestra and Standard percussion sets can be used in place of the MS2 Timpani and Tom Toms respectively.
- Hand held Piano. It's intended to be used in the Band Amp.
*** This is very much an experimental addition and suggestions are welcome ***
- The sheet music format changed. Added a song duration field (automatically calculated). Allows improved server managed play management.
- Add buttons to the hand held instrument inventory GUI's to open the Music Options and HUD placement dialog.
- Starting and stopping instruments is more reliable now. No more clicks and pops when force stopping a play session.
- *De-Wonkify the Music HUD adjustment screen.
- A lot of back end code cleanup and improvements: SonarCloud for mxTune
IntelliJ IDEA Rocks:
Upcoming Additions and Changes
- Add the ability to load MML files from 3MLE and Maple Story 2 ms2mml files downloaded from https://musicalnexus.net/ Please support the folks at the Musical Nexus and don't use an Ad-Blocker on the site.
- For MAP MAKERS: Per Chunk/Area MML based background music system
- Improved advancements
- More Musical Automata
- A personal MML player - i.e. tune lists, shuffle, etc.
- Music Themed MOBS and recipe changes for instruments that use common and rare drops.
Your input is welcome
Feel free to make suggestions to shape this mods future,
Apache License Version 2.0
Version 2.0, January 2004
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE, REPRODUCTION, AND DISTRIBUTION
"License" shall mean the terms and conditions for use, reproduction,
and distribution as defined by Sections 1 through 9 of this document.
"Licensor" shall mean the copyright owner or entity authorized by
the copyright owner that is granting the License.
"Legal Entity" shall mean the union of the acting entity and all
other entities that control, are controlled by, or are under common
control with that entity. For the purposes of this definition,
"control" means (i) the power, direct or indirect, to cause the
direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or
otherwise, or (ii) ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the
outstanding shares, or (iii) beneficial ownership of such entity.
"You" (or "Your") shall mean an individual or Legal Entity
exercising permissions granted by this License.
"Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications,
including but not limited to software source code, documentation
source, and configuration files.
"Object" form shall mean any form resulting from mechanical
transformation or translation of a Source form, including but
not limited to compiled object code, generated documentation,
and conversions to other media types.
"Work" shall mean the work of authorship, whether in Source or
Object form, made available under the License, as indicated by a
copyright notice that is included in or attached to the work
(an example is provided in the Appendix below).
"Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object
form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the
editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications
represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship. For the purposes
of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works that remain
separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of,
the Work and Derivative Works thereof.
"Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including
the original version of the Work and any modifications or additions
to that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally
submitted to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner
or by an individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of
the copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted"
means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent
to the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to
communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems,
and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the
Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but
excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."
"Contributor" shall mean Licensor and any individual or Legal Entity
on behalf of whom a Contribution has been received by Licensor and
subsequently incorporated within the Work.
2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of,
publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.
3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
(except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made,
use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work,
where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable
by such Contributor that are necessarily infringed by their
Contribution(s) alone or by combination of their Contribution(s)
with the Work to which such Contribution(s) was submitted. If You
institute patent litigation against any entity (including a
cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Work
or a Contribution incorporated within the Work constitutes direct
or contributory patent infringement, then any patent licenses
granted to You under this License for that Work shall terminate
as of the date such litigation is filed.
4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the
Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You
meet the following conditions:
(a) You must give any other recipients of the Work or
Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
(b) You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
stating that You changed the files; and
(c) You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works
that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and
attribution notices from the Source form of the Work,
excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of
the Derivative Works; and
(d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one
of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed
as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or
documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or,
within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and
wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents
of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and
do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution
notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside
or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided
that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed
as modifying the License.
You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and
may provide additional or different license terms and conditions
for use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or
for any such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use,
reproduction, and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with
the conditions stated in this License.
5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work
by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of
this License, without any additional terms or conditions.
Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify
the terms of any separate license agreement you may have executed
with Licensor regarding such Contributions.
6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade
names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor,
except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the
origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.
7. Disclaimer of Warranty. Unless required by applicable law or
agreed to in writing, Licensor provides the Work (and each
Contributor provides its Contributions) on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions
of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You are solely responsible for determining the
appropriateness of using or redistributing the Work and assume any
risks associated with Your exercise of permissions under this License.
8. Limitation of Liability. In no event and under no legal theory,
whether in tort (including negligence), contract, or otherwise,
unless required by applicable law (such as deliberate and grossly
negligent acts) or agreed to in writing, shall any Contributor be
liable to You for damages, including any direct, indirect, special,
incidental, or consequential damages of any character arising as a
result of this License or out of the use or inability to use the
Work (including but not limited to damages for loss of goodwill,
work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all
other commercial damages or losses), even if such Contributor
has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing
the Work or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer,
and charge a fee for, acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity,
or other liability obligations and/or rights consistent with this
License. However, in accepting such obligations, You may act only
on Your own behalf and on Your sole responsibility, not on behalf
of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to indemnify,
defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any liability
incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by reason
of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.
END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS
APPENDIX: How to apply the Apache License to your work.
To apply the Apache License to your work, attach the following
boilerplate notice, with the fields enclosed by brackets ""
replaced with your own identifying information. (Don't include
the brackets!) The text should be enclosed in the appropriate
comment syntax for the file format. We also recommend that a
file or class name and description of purpose be included on the
same "printed page" as the copyright notice for easier
identification within third-party archives.
Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.
Use in Mod Packs
This is an WIP BETA mod. Use at your own risk.World Breakage Possible.
- Archeage ©2016 XLGAMES Inc. ArcheAge has been licensed by XLGAMES Inc. ArcheAge and XLGAMES are trademarks of XLGAMES Inc. Trion, Trion Worlds, Glyph, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Trion Worlds, Inc. All rights reserved.
- Mabinogi copyright by Nexon America, Inc.
- Mabinogi World Wiki Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)
- Maple Story 2 © 2019 NEXON Korea Corporation and NEXON America Inc. All Rights Reserved
- Musical Nexus Please support the folks at the Musical Nexus and don't use an Ad-Blocker on the site.