I say this with all due respect to everyone trying to help, please, if you are not actually playing the game on a PS3 on update 1.42 with a seed that was created in this latest version, do not respond. You do not understand what we are talking about, and you cannot help.
Problem: Anyone currently playing on the PS3 v1.42 update knows that the game is absolutely broken beyond belief. Currently the game freezes, crashes, and corrupts save games in the following circumstances.
1) There is a chance that the auto-save feature will freeze the game, the progress bar stalls, remains only grey, and you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" and then the PS3 will do a fault and restart the machine. This issue is exacerbated during split-screen play and online play.
2) There is a chance that the save feature will freeze the game, the progress bar stalls, remains only grey, and you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" and then the PS3 will do a fault and restart the machine. This issue is exacerbated during split-screen play and online play.
3) There is a chance that the exit game feature will freeze the game, the progress bar stalls, remains only grey, and you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" and then the PS3 will do a fault and restart the machine. This issue is exacerbated during split-screen play and online play.
4) There is a chance that the exit and save game feature will freeze the game, the progress bar stalls, remains only grey, and you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" and then the PS3 will do a fault and restart the machine. This issue is exacerbated during split-screen play and online play.
5) There is a chance that while loading a newly generated world the game will freeze, the progress bar stalls, remains only grey, and you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" and then the PS3 will do a fault and restart the machine.
Once the game freezes during these spots, the world becomes corrupted. When you attempt to load the map after restarting the PS3, it hangs with a blank grey bar at "Initializing Server" and never progresses. Some players are able to progress, but it loads a very glitched and artifact world which is usually frozen.
Please do not respond saying "I'm not experiencing this" or "move to PS4" or "You need to go to the secret PS3 menu and Rebuild Database or Restore File System" or "Your PS3 is overheating" or "Your HDD is probably full" or "Your Blu-Ray is failing" or "Your PS3 is about to YLOD" or "Delete the game cache" or "Delete and re-download the game" - NONE OF THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
This is 100% a problem on Minecraft's end, caused by the latest update. Furthermore if you do a little bit of googling "Minecraft Save Corrupt" or "Minecraft PS3 Crash" or "Minecraft PS3 Freeze" you can see that these issues have been around since 2013, they are just extremely bad right now. It's so bad it is completely unplayable.
My wife and I bought this game, started with a freshly reformatted PS3 with the latest firmware, installed the Minecraft latest update before starting the game, made a world, played for 1 night, tried to save and exit and it froze. We tried another world the next day, this time it froze during an auto-save. We tried one more time today, and this time it froze during a manual save. Since then we tried every combination of workarounds, and googling on the internet to find a fix, and nothing can prevent this issue. It's entirely patch/game related. It is not the PS3. The Xbox 360 also has the same problem!
I was going to include links to all of the other relevant topics and posts, but it's unecessary. Just look at the most recent threads and you'll see tons of other people have this issue. Why several months later is there no fix for this? Developers respond please.
Meta Tags: Freeze | Freezing | Frozen | Froze | Crash | Crashes | Crashing | Corrupt | Save | Saving | Stuck | Initializing | Server | PS3 | Xbox | Minecraft | 1.42 | Christmas | Update | Loading | Hang | Hangs | Hanging
Ok, enough. There are more and more and more. Those are just from ONE forum section of Minecraftforum.net - that doesn't include anywhere else on the internet, or in other sections of the forum, or the Xbox section!
As a long time gamer and troubleshooter, and after dealing with this same sort of thing over the years since blowing in Nintendo cartridges, I have two possible causes.
1) There's a memory leak. This is for sure, whether it's relevant to the save problem or not. Any developer can load up a PS3, start a new world, start splitscreen and have a coworker play with them. Within 2 to 3 hours you will see and feel the FPS drops and relevant problems start to occur. It's a very obvious memory leak.
2) HDD cache (disk buffer). If there are truly some PS3 owners that do NOT have this issue, I would be willing to bet they either swapped out the original HDD for a newer, bigger one, which tend to have larger disk buffers. Or, they are using the original HDD, but are on an older PS3, not the newer slims with the really crappy HDD's that have very small buffers. This is a huge problem that actually affects a lot of games, and it doesn't appear like Sony or any game developers are aware of this change. There are other games that have performance problems directly related to the HDD buffer size. This is a potential reason as to why some PS3 owners have problems (of any kind) and some don't.
Anyone else experiencing this issue, please help bring attention to it by commenting on this thread, and also by visiting Mojang's Official Bug Reporting system where I submitted this ticket, and click the "Vote for this issue" button after logging in, and also the "Start watching this issue". This will help bump the priority of the bug so that they can see how many people are affected.
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
I havent had it freeze on auto saves yet, but what it has done is stopped autosaving completely. Then when i try to save and exit the game crashes and i lose all progress. I turned my autosave back to 15 minutes in hopes that it would help but it still quit. I lost hours of progress this morning from this. At this rate the game is unplayable.
For the record i have a newer slim ps3 and i upgraded my HD as well so number 2 theory doesnt seem to fit.
PS3 v1.45 was released yesterday. It does not resolve the issues. The patch notes only state:
+ Fix for save corruption when exiting a newly created world. (PS3 only)
Perhaps they attempted to also resolve the other issues I've discussed and they just wanted to keep their description of the fix short, but this is clearly not enough to fix the problems.
I have had so many crashes now, that I've narrowed it down to a very easy to replicate scenario. Do this and I gaurantee you will experience at least 1 of the problems I stated in the beginning, within a 2-4 hour play session. You most likely will lose all or at least half of your work and will have to redo it:
All of these bugs listed below are easily replicated during Split-Screen, with an active 2nd player!
1) In the latest patch, "Create New World" on the PS3.
2) Leave all settings at their natural defaults and have Autosave set to 30 mins, difficulty on Easy, default texture pack, survival mode.
3) Always stop pressing buttons and moving whenever the "saving symbol" pops up in top right corner.
4) Start the new world and wait about 10 seconds for asset loading, then I explore a small circle around my start location.
5) If I do not find a nearby village I go to Exit Game, and then select Exit Game without Saving.
6) Repeat the above steps untill you find a nearby village. This is where the first bug tends to arise.
7) Within 2-4 creations of new worlds trying to find a village, it will freeze on "Initializing Server" usually with "Spawning" whatever as the subtext.
8) If you freeze, you can wait several minutes, but eventually you must hold the PS button and select "Quit Game" from the XMB.
BUG #2 & BUG #3
9) Once you're past the first bug and find a nearby village, make it your home. I spend the next 2-3 hours digging around it, leveling things out, making sure all the building have doors and stairs up to them, and just making it clean. I remove all the vegetation, trees, etc. Make it clean and tidy.
10) This is where the second has a chance to appear. Sometimes during the village cleanup process the game will freeze during an "auto-save" when the loading bar pops up, it will freeze and you can wait several minutes, but then have to hold the PS button and "Quit Game" thus corrupting your world and forcing you to start over entirely.
11) The third bug also has a chance to appear during this time period. If you and the 2nd player in split-screen are digging fast and furious, and really moving around quickly (all legitimate, survival mode, no cheats or glitches of any kind) then the game will sometimes just immediately switch to a black screen, and kick you out to the PS3 xmb desktop as if you had selected "quit game" from the xmb. When all you were doing was digging up blocks or mining stone quickly.
BUG #4 & BUG #5
12) If you somehow manage to get your village cleaned up and after 2-4 hours of active, hard work, moving quick play, go to "Exit Game" and then "Save and Exit" and about 50% of the time it will freeze while saving, thus corrupting the world and losing everything. It seems like having player 2 exit first helps reduce the chance of this bug happening, but it's still about 25% chance of happening or more.
13) If you were smart, you figured out that saving the game can freeze and corrupt things, so you tried workarounds, like after "auto-save" occurs, you then just choose to "Exit game" and "Exit without saving" in hopes that it'll avoid the crash. Well that still freezes and corrupts the game too...
14) In response to step 13, the only sort of workaround is to hope auto-save doesn't fail, and then after it's done saving and the symbol goes away, go ahead and hold the PS button and "Quit Game" from the XMB, and you'll be able to leave the game safely. That's however if none of your auto-saves froze your game beforehand. Because if an auto-save does freeze, your world is corrupt. You literally have to backup your saves every night to a usb, and every single night you risk losing an entire play session of work in between backups.
I thought, "Oh yay, a new update! Bugfixes! Fix this awful problem!". Nope, just some new minigames, and probably a slew of new bugs to sort out. I tried to load up an offending world that had been corrupted(started on the wrong seed or didnt save 2 hours worth of work), it froze on loading.
My buddy who owns the game threw it in today so we could finish his ridiculously big lake and after downloading two updates, including the world of color patch, the game randomly started in with that "failed to load and cannot continue" black screen of death. We normally play on creative with two to three players and up until today we've never had this issue. The first encounter happened when I went to show his wife the new player skins, namely the power rangers skins. Is there some kind of fix for this or is the disc now nothing more than a fancy paperweight?