I am experiencing an issue that plagues my connection to any server that opts to use a domain rather than an IP address.
Attempting to connect to any server without the exact IP address and port results in the error "io netty channel abstractchannel annotatedconnectexception connection refused". I have tried every reported fix, including:
- Allowing Java Executables through the Windows Firewall
- Adding exceptions in my antivirus (Malwarebytes)
- Allowing Minecraft executables, including the launcher, through the Windows Firewall
- Resetting my Router (Google OnHub Mesh Router)
- Re-installing Minecraft
- Resetting the Winsock
- Adding the exact server IP address and domain name to the HOSTS file
- Logging out and back into the Minecraft Launcher
- Many, many computer restarts
In order to connect to a server that uses a domain, I need to instead input the IP address followed by the specific port the server utilizes.
While this issue does not completely prevent me from connecting to servers, it is a pain to have to ask for the server owner to provide me with the exact port of the server.