Originally built and opened for family, friends and acquaintances, Gefion is now available for play by the public!
I was involved with the Craftbian project some time back when the Raspberry Pi 3 was released. My role was, essentially, quality assurance from the perspective of the user. I continue to be a member of the project in the same role.
Gefion is the name of a Minecraft Personal Server that is managed using the Craftbian personal web server operating system made specifically for a Rapberry Pi. Gefion is a demonstration server that is now open for use by the general public.
This Craftbian instance was optimized for use on a Raspberry Pi 3. Craftbian and the Raspberry Pi IS NOT designed or made for full-fledged nor highly modified personal Minecraft servers. It is, in essence, a beginners' project for a Raspberry Pi. It can, HOWEVER, run different server stypes and distributions such as Forge, Spigot, etc. Gefion uses Spigot, in particular, for its ability in improving performance. A lot of plugins and add-ons may also be used to the desire of the server administrator. In Gefion's instance, Spigot & Bukkit plugins.
Craftbian, as a project, is, currently, no longer being developed. It may, again, in the futurem but only time will tell. I may open the dashboard of Craftbian for additional users at some point. I have oto think about my approach on that.
WHAT GEFION HAS TO OFFER
- A vanilla Minecraft version 1.12.2 Minecraft Personal Server. 1.12.2 is the ideal version for use with the Raspberry Pi 3. Although, more recent versions CAN be hosted with the chance of a slight performance affect due to the added resources needed to operate.
- Up to 4 players, simultaneously! This, also to reduce or eliminate negative performance. Do not forget, this is a Raspberry Pi and not some server blade in a datacenter.
- The World Border was reduced to 1000. Again, to reduce or eliminate negative performance. (It's a recurring theme.)
- A few Bukkit plugins added. Namely, Dynmap! (more below on Dynmap.)
- Gefion is an island with a village that generated using its seed.
- Weekly world backups! World backups are done on a weekly basis using an attached USB stick to the Raspberry Pi.
- Monthly system image backups! MicroSD image backups are done on a monthly basis. Temporary files are also cleaned during this time.
- Dynmap is a "Google Maps"-like map experience to Gefion. It provides a visual mapping of the world in, both, a top-down and an angular 3-dimensional surface perspective. Maps may exist for the overworld, Nether and End.
- Daily Reboots! During the late-eveining/early-morning hours, Gefion automatically reboots itself.
Enjoy Gefion at your leisure:
Multiplayer Address to play this server-
Dynmap address to see the world without using Minecraft-
Currently, only myself, Shadowstreik. However, depending on the number of total reply posts over a period of some time, I may award Operator status to a user or more that I pick, randomly. However, his server is Survival through and though. I would need the in-game player avatar name, of course.
* Additional thread posts concerning server status may be done.