Does anybody know how the new style of maps work? The map i made was empty at first, then it filled up with a very small area, 16 chunks or something. How do i zoom out or do i have to make a bunch of maps for exploring different areas of my world? someone please help??? im new to pc minecraft but played alot of xbox minecraft so im a little out of my league
New maps have 5 levels of zoom; the first one is really close in.
To zoom out, you put 8 paper around a map. I believe it erases the current map, and you have to re-explore.
Old maps were, I believe, level 4 zoom, so there is one level farther out than that.
Started a Survival challenge. Here are my issues: Cannot find any coal or Animal (Food) mobs?!
Good sources of starting resources:
1. Chop 4 blocks of oak wood. Make yourself a wood pick-axe. (CB: 4 planks. Sticks for three tools and sword: 4 planks. One wood tool: 3 planks.
2. Take out 3 blocks of stone. Make yourself a stone pick-axe.
3. Take out 3 more stone. Make yourself a stone axe.
4. Chop oak tree wood blocks. Leave the leaves; let them decay. Get back to them in 5 minutes.
5. Get stone. Make furnace. If you find coal, great. If not, then burn wood. Your wood pick-axe will turn one log to charcoal; that will turn 8 more to 8 charcoal.
8 wood plus (char)coal => 8 charcoal.
8 charcoal + 1 log turned into 8 sticks = 32 torches.
6. Oak leaves give you apples as they decay. If you are still waiting for them to decay, break some grass and get some seeds.
7. Should now be slightly after noon on your first day, possibly near sunset.
You've got a hole in the ground, torches, mining tools. You can seal yourself off, and go looking for the caves underground. You've got saplings, which can be used either to grow trees or tossed into the furnace for fuel. If you grab some seeds before going underground, you can use the dirt you dug up to grow wheat.
Welcome to minecraft. Your resources are that-a-way (pointing down into the hole you dug). You've got saplings for trees, seeds for wheat, apples for the first night, lighting, and safety.
What is the simplest method of mining with the fastest and greatest payout?
Find an area without any cave systems. Dig down to your feet at Y=13/head at Y=14.62.
Dig a long, straight tunnel, two blocks high. Use stone pick-axes to break through the stone, iron pick-axes when you come across any ores.
Place torches every 10 blocks.
When you find ores beneath you, be aware that with your head at 14.62, your feet at 13, the ground is at 12 -- and lava may be at 11. So when you did, what you dig may fall down into lava. If you stand next to it, you are likely to pick it up yourself -- but it may get lost. Just be careful.
What makes this work: In vanilla, to a quick approximation, ores of all kinds are about equally dense at any height in their spawning zone, and they spawn all the way down from their top. So while coal is found very high, it doesn't drop off as you go deeper. Ditto for iron, gold, redstone, lapis.
Diamond is different; I think someone analized diamond and found (based on actual generated vanilla chunks) that it was densest around Y=10. So you'll get a little less on the diamond, but avoid the issues with lava.