“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.
For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche
((DISCLAIMER: NO, THIS IS NOT ABOUT MINECRAFT CREEPERS. IF THAT'S WHAT YOU CAME HERE FOR, GO AWAY. Actually no, if you're reading this, keep reading. You might actually like this story.))
Hello everyone. This is an RP loosely based of the story of the original Creeper World game. If you are not familiar with the game, please read the Captain's Log located within the story section, and the subsequent Info section.
For those of you who are familiar with the game, welcome! Please read the rules thoroughly and I hope you all have fun. This is actually quite long, so let's begin!
[STORY] (aka: Everything that happened before you magically appeared)
In the year 13,271, Humanity had colonized thousands of worlds. They found none their equal as they spread into a fantastic and bountiful empire. At the height of their greatness they walked amongst the stars as though they were gods. But gods they were not... It fell from the sky without purpose or reason. Fifty worlds fell on the first day. 500 billion lives were lost. World after world fell as man was routed from existence. Nothing could stop what would come to be called the Creeper.
It wanted nothing, it could not be reasoned with. It seemed as though its only purpose was to undo all that Man had done. But all was not yet lost... The last survivors of humanity gathered at a world called Hope. Assembled by the visions of a mysterious hero named Platius, the last of Humankind marks its final hours. A great city has been built to house the 50 thousand that survive. It will journey from world to world, never staying longer than it must. Guided by the path set by Platius, Humanity's final journey has begun.
== ODIN CITY == == CAPTAIN'S LOG: 2 YEARS AFTER OUTBREAK == == DATE: UNKONWN ==
I’ll never forget the day it fell from the sky.
We got a transmission in one day from Arca, saying that some strange meteorites had landed on their planet, and were oozing some sort of blue stuff. We never heard from the people of Arca again, and an alarm was sounded.
The people of all of the worlds were to meet on a planet called Hope, where a hero later known as “Platius” was attempting to gather what was left of humanity. Similar reports came from all over, humanity descended into anarchy as everyone tried to flee their home planets.
50 worlds were lost on the first day, and the entire human population nearly followed soon after. 50 thousand managed to make it to Hope, where we started construction on Odin City, a great structure designed to house and support the last remnants of the human race. It is here that we decided to fight off the creeper. Odin City will travel from world to world, never staying longer than it must. It was finally finished, and I took my first glance off the project to see the wonders of Hope, and it looked promising. We were located on top of a mountain, with a large field of collectors around us. To our North-East were the three monoliths we would need to get off the planet, surrounded by walls.
We had three blasters ready to go, with a fourth sitting just behind the city to replace damaged ones.
“Alright, listen up! We don’t have much time.“ said a surprisingly gruff voice. “you need to learn how to control Odin City before the creeper gets here if we’re gonna any hope of surviving here.“
Standing there was an old, yet sturdy man, with white hair and an authentic wooden waIking stick. I presumed this must be the revered "Platius".
I won’t bore you with the little details of training, but in a nutshell, collectors harvest energy from an area around themselves. Based on your collection, you can create so many packets per second, which can be sent out along wires created between buildings that are close enough to build unbuilt buildings, or power turrets connected to the system. I had to control all this and more to get us off a planet safely.
All of humanity was resting on my shoulders. When the system is connected to rift monoliths, we’re able to get off the planet and move farther into the galaxy, out of the clutches of the creeper, which is the ultimate goal. Glancing around though, I started to wonder something. "We seem to have a pretty good setup here," I said. "Why don't we just stay here to fend off the creeper?"
Bill, our Operations Managar turned to me with an evil intensity in his eyes and said, "We're being hunted son. Every second we stay here, the creeper gets closer. If we stay too long, it'll catch us. The sky will blacken the world over. And soon, a tsunami of creeper will surround us from all angles, a great wave of death and destruction that could be held back by nothing. It would eat away at the last of our kind like it was nothing. One of the most painful ways to die... If you want to see that, be my guest. You can stay, but me and everyone else with any common sense are leaving as soon as you can stop jabbering, and fly us over there."
I followed his gesturing arm to where a few relays were already build behind some walls, connecting to 3 monoliths that would get us off of Hope, the one place I thought we could be safe... but for how long?
== END LOG ==
[MORE INFO] (aka: Help me I'm confused)
"What is that thing? What does this do? What is Odin City? What are Monoliths?!?! I THOUGHT MINECRAFT CREEPERS WERE THE ONLY TYPE OF CREEPER!!!"
Okay, calm down. Here's some general terminology so you don't have to spend 20 hours playing Creeper World to understand the story.
Although I highly recommend you do.
- Odin City: Simply put, this mighty spaceship is where you and your fellow RP'ers live now. Forever. Odin City is the not-so-proverbial Noah's Ark which the final remnants of humanity must travel in to evade the Creeper. The entire city is mobile, and must travel through portals created by 3 Monoliths in order to survive.
- Collectors: These are large machines that convert nearby land into infinitely renewable energy. Each collector has a certain radius, and they work best on flat land. Don't worry, it's not environmentally efficient. The environment doesn't exist anymore.
- Relay: These triangular structures are useful for transporting energy. Relays connect via extremely long cables, which carry packets at increased speeds.
- Reactors: Same as collectors, except they function individually and do not require land to work.
- Siphon: This helpful structure locates and mines fossilized crystals than can be converted into any resource Odin City requires.
- Shield: Creates a large bubble that repels all creeper around it.
- Drones: Airborne assault vehicles that can launch bombs or rockets into deep pockets of Creeper. It can also ferry supplies when needed.
- Blasters: Very useful for destroying thin creeper, but ineffective against large waves of it.
- Mortars: As the name suggests, these machines launch high-powered bombs into large pools of Creeper.
- Coil: These deadly tesla machines are powerful anti-aircraft weaponry, which can destroy Creeper Spores.
- Monoliths: Ancient artifacts which, when used in conjunction, create portals into rift space: a gateway to other worlds.
- Emitters: These freakishly-built malevolent engines are the cause of your pain and suffering. Each one produces a vast and unlimited supply of Creeper, which can overcome even the strongest defenses with enough time.
- Spore Towers: These machines convert Creeper into a spore that can be launched anywhere to spread Creeper.
[RULES] (aka: All read and no play)
1. All forum rules apply. If you don't know the forum rules, go read them. Now.
2. Godmodding, Powerplaying, and Metagaming are prohibited. If you do not know what these are, please read the pinned post in Forum Roleplaying.
3. This should be common sense, but be civil. If you have an issue with me or someone else, resolve it in a PM.
4. Congratulations, you can successfully read English. Put "Abraxis" somewhere in your application.
5. I do not expect your posts to be perfect, but at the minimum I expect neat posts with good grammar and at least 2-3 sentences. This rule is not just for the sake of being strict; your posts will be much more easily readable and your writing skills can benefit from it.
6. Violence and Romance are allowed, but again, general forum rules take priority. Please refer to them for more detail.
7. Please put your OOC chat in parentheses or slashes. This helps distinguish character chat from user chat. Also try to avoid tennis-posting.
8. If your character dies, feel free to reapply. However, if you break the rules, or your applications are low-quality, then you may be prevented from joining. I will also allow multiple characters if you think you can handle it.
9. Have fun! But remember, you're the last of human civilization and the entire future of your species rests upon your shoulders. But still, have fun!
For neatness reasons, please delete all the text in parentheses before submitting your application.
[APPLICATION] (aka: Fine print and your signature goes here)
Finished reading my essay? Good! Now for the fun part.
Age: (More obvious.)
Gender: (Most obvious.)
Appearance: (What are your character's physical traits and clothing? Images or description will suffice.)
Personality: (How does you character act? What are your character's best and worst traits?)
Bio: (What happened to your character before and during the Creeper outbreak? What is your life on Odin City and how did you get there?)
Class: (This one is more complicated. What job does your character have? Do you bark orders at people from a control center, or manage one of the numerous machines outside Odin City? Or are you simply a refugee?)
Other: (Put anything here.)
That's it! If you have any questions just ask in OOC or a PM. If all goes according to plan we should start before next Saturday.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Oh, your signature has big special text and flashy colors?