I don't know why, but my first house on a new world is always an actual house, never just a cave or something. I always make it big too, because I know I'll never get around to expanding it for awhile. I'm way too busy mining.
dont ask why, but this is what i always do
1. punch tree
2. wood pick
3. some cobble
4. stone pick and axe
5. wander around, killin animals for food and cutting wood for the entire day
6. when it gets dark, make a hole in a hill that will be a mine someday. seal off the entrance for now to prevent random mobs wandering in
7. crafting bench, furnace, chests, etc
8. dig ~10 blocks in then dig a 3x3 hole to layer ~8. dont forget ladders!!!
9. grab iron tools ASAP
10. start branch mining for diamond for a few days
11. back to surface then build whatever i want to build with all the resources i have
Obtain 5 logs > Make a pickaxe > Mine stone > Make stone pickaxe > Mine for 5 days > Create Chests > Store everything > Make simplistic house > Cook all the ores > Make better house > Start farming > More mining > Add to house > Create Mob grinder > Mine more > Adventure > Enchant > Find Stronghold > Open the End Portal > Fight Dragon > End game > Have fun for the rest of the survival.