My friends and I are doing a series called In It To Win It on my YouTube channel, and I was wondering...
What is the best way to defeat the Ender Dragon?
With the battle soon coming up, we need some tactics on what to do! If anyone has any tactics or strategies that have worked for them or that you know of, post them here or in the comments on one of the In It To Win It videos! Thanks for your help!
ok so diamond armor or whatever you can get and enchanted bows!!!!!!!!!!!! a tom of arrows and enchanted bows! stay on high grounds and make a little base to fall back upon! preferably out of obsidian or the strongest item you can get!
1: If you have alot of snow and pumpkins you can make snow golems that can attack the ender dragon
2: Make LOTS of arrows and bows
3: Make instant health and regen potions
4: Bring snow balls so you can destroy the towers without wasting arrows
5: Enchant as much stuff as you can!
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves? - ChrisKross
Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback, hopefully we'll use this to our advantage! If you haven't already, check out the series, we just recorded a new session and we got to the Nether and grabbed some blaze rods, and then found the stronghold! Getting closer to getting to that boss fight...
There is one more thing you should bring to the Ender Dragon fight: A bucket of water. If you accidentally look an enderman, pour it, he'll teleport into it and stop caring about you. That way you can focus just on the Dragon.
Advice to listen to:
Tonnes of arrows
Diamond armor with Protection (He launches you into the air on hit, try to get feather falling boots)
Sharpness 5 sword
Advice to not listen to:
Pumpkin (just makes it harder to shoot him, use water instead)
Tonnes of bows (who thought of that...)
TNT (He'll destroy it, it's very hard to time it right)
Fire aspect sword/lava bucket (enderdragon is immune to fire)
Extra advice that no one mentioned:
Although the enderdragon can destroy chests, he can't destroy storage minecarts because those are entities not blocks. Bring a storage minecart and at least 1 rail on your first visit, and store all your things in the storage minecart and die. This can be used to ferry supplies back and forth.
A couple of infinity bows (power III or above enchantment would be a good too)
Regen and instant health potions or splash potions
A good set of enchanted diamond armor
A good enchanted diamond sword, in case its stupid enough to come close to you
Golden apples if you have the resources.
There's no need to waste arrows with an infinity bow, so don't listen to the people saying bring tons of arrows.
I beat the dragon on Hardcore mode as my first time ever beating the dragon in SSP, so I think I've got a few ideas/strategies that you should find useful.
I definitely agree with JTTCOTE2. Personally I didn't use a chest, but again, I was on hardcore, so it wouldn't have done me much good.
What I found infinitely useful/necessary:
* At least 2 stacks of arrows. You will run through them quickly. Practice with your bow and arrow skills, get your aim good. Not only will you be shooting the dragon, but the crystals as well.
* Enchant your bow with the highest level Power you can get. The more damage you deal to him, the sooner the fight is over. The sooner the fight is over, the less chances you'll have to make a mistake and get knocked off the island.
* Enchant some diamond boots with Feather Falling IV, and try for Protection IV as well. You will be falling. It will hurt.
* Bring either a couple stacks of blocks (dirt / gravel), and/or a couple stacks of ladders. Some of those crystal towers are too difficult to hit, so you need to pillar up or climb up. Personally I used blocks, and always pillared several blocks away from the obsidian tower, so as to increase my range of vision. Having half your view obstructed by the tower makes it very easy for the dragon to sneak up, fly through the tower, and kill you with a cheap shot. Additionally, you'll need some blocks in case you spawn on a detached, floating island. Remember that Endermen can pick up dirt, so maybe bring some cobblestone as well, since they can't pick that up (but they can't pick up End Stone either, so that's a perfectly fine substitute) - more so a concern for bridging; not pillaring.
* A few ender pearls. Once you are on top of a tower, you need a quick way down. A bucket of water could work, digging out your pillar could work, but both of these are slow, giving the dragon time to get a bump in. An ender pearl not only gets you to the ground, but quickly gets you in the direction of the next obsidian tower.
* A pickaxe, preferably enchanted with Efficiency IV. You'll need it to get through end stone.
* A torch or a piston (and a power source). You'll need this to collect the Dragon Egg. DON'T let it fall in the portal. Personally what I do is punch the egg once so it teleports to a random safer spot on the ground, then I dig under it and place a torch.
A couple strategy tips:
* When you first spawn in, if you can't see the dragon, or if you see him but he's not stalled, you need to get to the top of the end island as quickly as possible. He flies through blocks, and if you're stuck in a little tunnel inside the island ("underground"), he'll take off half your hearts right there. If you're out on a little detached, floating obsidian platform, a single swoop will knock you into the void, and you'll lose everything right off the bat. Not a good way to start.
* Look just above the Endermen's heads at all times. If you look at them, you start wasting your time fending off Endermen and taking a little damage, and you can easily lose sight of the dragon.
* Always keep an eye on the dragon at all times. While pillaring, look up every 2 or 3 blocks. You need as much warning as you can for when he's about to head your way. This is where a second player also comes in handy.
* When he attacks, he tends to head straight towards you. This is the best time to shoot him in the face. Doing so will stagger him and cause him to change course. Get a couple shots in if you can.
Remember, take those crystals out as quickly as you can, warding off the dragon whenever he approaches. Then just keep shooting the dragon.
I cannot attest to whether Snow Golems are a wise investment or not. From watching Etho fight the dragon, I remember they seemed pretty useless.
First time into the End, go suicidal by building up to the top of the obsidian pillars and punching the regen blocks.
After you destroy all of them, get your Diamond Armor, Diamond Sword, Infinity Bow, and Regeneration Potions.
When I killed the dragon with my girlfriend, we were overly prepared. We had enchanted diamond armor and Power IV bows with tons of other supplies, but we probably could've killed him just as easily with regular iron armor and Power I bows. Have one person take out the crystals while the other person shoots at the dragon if it comes close, then both focus on shooting the dragon.
Snowballs are helpful for destroying the healing orbs (or whatever you like to call them.).
Arrows are the way to go, don't be shy; stuff your inventory full of them!
(This is assuming you don't have the infinity bow.)
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Since you likely die often at the start working on the healing towers, I just brought a bow and stacks of dirt. I'd jump/dirt stack up, shoot the tower (or get knocked off and die because the dragon hit me), rinse repeat until all towers are down.
Then I dug a tunnel to the center of the map, dug some stairs up, then built an obsidian platform about 10 blocks off the ground. Back at the start of the tunnel I put chests filled with all the usual stuff: sets of armor, arrows, food, etc..
I'm not sure if things have changed, but the dragon couldn't eat the obsidian, and it really helped to keep enderman from annoying you while you shoot at the dragon with a bow.