Not so much a guide to the first day or two in minecraft. More of a list of goals that a player should maybe focus on to allow progressing to the next set of goals easier. I know I get carried away myself. So what I think is my little list in order:
Stone tools ( punch tree and get first wood pick than go get some cobblestone ASAP )
Shelter ( I've gone so far as to swim out to sea and build a short dirt post to stand on for the night )
Torches ( luck depending on coal near the spawn or resorting to more wood thrown in the furnace.)
wheat farm ( i always neglect getting a farm going early and it hurts sometimes )
iron pick and water bucket ( everything stops till I get these once the first goals are done )
full iron armor ( done during the initial foray heading down to layer 12 to establish the primary mine )
Once I have the above set its all about getting the main home built the way you want. It's at this stage I get side tracked and never have a proper order to things. Animal taming/breeding, chickens for arrow production, auto-harvest wheat farm, etc... What do you guys do at this point first? Work on sugar cane to get enchanting setup? XP farms?
1. Get at least 32 wood, 16 for charcoal.
2. Make a set of wooden tools, mine cobble, and make some damn charcoal.
4. Dig a hole in the ground for a quick shelter.
5. Get some seeds, and plant them near some water and wall it off with cobble.
6. Make a set of stone tools.
7. Dig a mine into the hole I have created, and get some iron.
8. Make a bucket and an iron sword my top priorities.
9. Make shears, if any extra iron, and shear some wild sheep. Make a bed in your dugout, and sleep the night away.
I build an automatic watermelon farm once I've got the redstone to take care of that. I've seen some insanely useful ones. Compact, too.
I made one that, so far, is the most compact/efficient one I've seen.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
I play a lot on OniCraft, with several of my friends. We really like to build industrious semi-vanilla cities, make them reach a point of near self-sustenance, and then sacrifice the profited items to the Gods.
Make my little shack near a mountain, build a forest near by, lore some sheep and cows over to my pen i built for them and then lure chicks to thir own pen, start my farm, then begin the mining expedition.
Which does mean bucket is usually the first iron tool I craft. The reason I make wheat farm as soon as possible is because without it I usually have to resort to killing wild animals for food which makes them disappear rather fast.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Perfect - that's what I'm striving to be. -- Sagisu Shiro. Armageddon, performed by M.A.L.I.
Dont remember actualy, long time since i made a new world, but i soon have to if i want jungels D= But i think my priority will be like this
1 - wood
2 - food
3 - collect random farmable stuff like sugercane and shrooms (and seeds)
4 - find a small cave, not too big, but still has some resourses.
5 - get more wood
6 - build a house in the cave
7 - mine during the night
8 - hopefully never use more than three uses on a wood pick and 4 on a stone (3 iron ore and 1 coal)
9 - forget about charcoal cus im too oldschool D=
1. Find a tree and get the wood.
2. Make a wood pickaxe.
3. Use up the pickaxe digging up stone.
4. Make stone tools.
5. Get more wood and coal for torches.
5. Cut down some trees for the apples.
6. Kill a few cows (leaving some for breeding later on). Kill some chickens for the feathers.
7. Dig for iron. Try to find at least a half stack before returning to surface.
7a. Dig up some gravel for the flint.
8. Make iron tools, armor, and a bucket.
9. Kill a few spiders to collect their string.
10. Make a bow, then maybe a fishing rod.
11. Look for diamonds and other ores.
12. Dig up some obsidian.
13. Make an enchantment table and hopefully I'll get a high efficiency/unbreaking pickaxe, and then a nice bow.
14. Set up a nether portal.
15. Try to find nether ruins.
16. Make a few trips collecting the nether brick.
17. Find nether wart and a blaze spawner.
18. Start making some potions.
19. Look for a stronghold.
20. Kill the dragon.
Punch a tree, use wood to make a crafting bench and a wood pick.
Go to nearest bit of stone and mine enough for a stone pick and sword
Set off exploring, I pick a direction and start walking.
Breaking grass along the way for seeds
Mine any coal/iron found exposed.
Kill any animals (but not all) along the way.
Gather anything else you want, clay, sand, flowers, whatever you really want while exploring.
Night falls dig a hole into the side of the hill making sure it's at least 2x2 inside so I'm not in direct sight of any mob passing by outside, plug the entrance up with one dirt block to keep stuff out then use the night to prep up/get more stone/make torches/smelt iron/cook food.
Morning comes head out again, collect any burned mob drops, if low on wood grab a tree or two along the way.
Keep going like this gathering items until a nice spot is found that you'd want to stay and build at
Prep a temp shelter, again a hole in a hill or whatever to stay in until you sorted out what you're planing to build.
I call this my 'nomad' methood. Rather than sticking with what you get at spawn, go out and explore. You can find some STUNNING landscapes out there.
craft bench, a wood pick, a chest, and a door (of course make at least a half stack of planks and sticks)
punch grass for seeds (3-5 is enough)
head toward nearest exposed rock face or cave and mine about 15-20 stone blocks (Usually I will mine out a first night shelter which then only needs a door to be complete)
Craft two stone picks, a stone sword, and a furnace.
Kill enough animals to get 4 meat max (enough to last me until I get my wheat and then animal farm going.
With time remaining before dark look around for exposed coal and iron (and build shelter if I put that off)
*End of first day*
Since I don't use beds, that first night I:
finalize my shelter layout (make it cozy)
decide a direction to dig a tunnel for my alternate exit (in case my front door is camped)
prepare a small underground wheat farm (usually along the walls of my alternate exit tunnel)
if still dark when this is done, decide where to put my ladder shaft for my layer 12 branch mine.
After that I sort of wing it for the next few days, but I tend to do the following:
explore the surface and caves I come across and mine resources as I do that.
at night I work in my branch mine or explore caves.
setup a tree farm.
make animal pens and lure animals into them.
explore coastlines by boat if near a large body of water.
After a few days I have a good idea about the lay of the land and have collected a fairly good supply of resources. If I have found a land feature that has inspired me I may start planning and begin building whatever I was inspired to build. Sometimes I build my own version of a contraption or style of building that I found on the forums here. Also a transportation network is fun to build when you get several different places of interest or sub bases for further exploration.
1. Look for tree
2.Punch the tree
3.Make a house
4.Make a crafting table
5.Make a set of wooden tools
6.Mine a bit
7. Make a furnace
8. Make charcoal (if i cant find coal)
9. Make a stone set of tools
10. Go mining
11. Get iron and coal
12. Make an iron set of tools
13. Go mining
14. Make a set of iron armor
15. Harvest the farm (if ready)
16. Keep mining until i find diamonds
17. make an enchanting table
18. Make some diamond tools (make a whole set, but not all at once)
19. Make diamond armor (Same thing as the thing on top)
20. Go mob hunting for exp.
21. Start enchanting my tools
22. Search for mineshafts,dungeons, or strongholds.
23. Find a stronghold (however long that'll take)
24. Go in the end (when im prepared)
25. kill the enderdragon!
Your initial list sounds pretty solid. Here is mine:
1) Chop down a tree or two. (This is pretty universal as the first step in minecraft)
2) Make a wooden pick, then mine cobble and make all the stone tools and a furnace.
3) Kill 3 sheep, craft a bed and carry it with you until its about night time. (This will allow you to simply skip over the first few nights, preventing you from make any housing commitments until you have found a spot you truly like)
4) Kill all the animals around you for food, feathers etc... and get that meat cooking! (I disagree with you on the coal, I have never had any trouble finding any.
5) Find a nice spot and build build build!!!
While you're doing this, be punching as much grass as you can for a farm.
1. Punch trees until you have at least 16 logs.
2. Craft those logs into planks.
3. Make a Crafting table
4. Dig a 1x1 hole into the ground about 3 deep
5. Make a small room by punching dirt.
6. Set down the crafting table inside.
7. Make a wood pickaxe
8. From inside your little shelter, dig a staircase downwards, until your pickaxe runs out.
9. Make Stone Pickaxe, Axe, hoe, and Sword.
10. If it's still daylight, cut wood until nighttime and make a farm walled off with any material, it doesn't have to be a fence. With your new axe, the process should be much faster. Don't turn this wood into planks!!!!!!!!
11. At night, go back into your makeshift shelter and seal off the hole in the top.
12. If you have coal, make torches, be careful not to use the rest of your wood.
13. If you don't have coal, make charcoal by smelting wood in a furnace.
14. Now you can start mining. Complete a staircase all the way down to bedrock.
15. Using F3, get to level 13.
16. Strip mine (ie. Dig in straight lines until you run out of torches or pickaxe.
17. You know what to do from there!
Get 3 wood from a tree
Make workbench and pick
Get 19 cobble
Make stone axe, pick, sword, another pick, and furnace
Kill some animals for raw food
Get lots and lots of wood
Get a few more furnaces and turn wood into charcoal for torches(This is where a lot of people get slowed down by trying to find coal. Even though it is plentiful you can make more charcoal easier and faster.)
Kill more animals and go into first cave you find
Acquire at least 2 stacks of iron, diamond pick, and 10 obsidian before coming out
If you want to then set up house and farm (if i am just doing a speed run then i usually don't do these things)
Mine by day and hunt endermen by night
When you have 10 pearls go to the nether until you kill enough blazes to get 10 blaze powder and turn pearls into eyes
Now make full iron armor and weapons, bow and arrows, and LOTS of ladders.(if you have enough materials then enchant your items)
Try to get some golden apples or regeneration potions
Find stronghold with ender eyes and enter the end
This is just what i do when starting my world. It usually takes 2-3 hours for me to beat the whole thing and then i start making cool stuff like automated farms and xp grinders. Just another tip. If you cant find animals at first just go ahead into the cave. Rotten flesh will sustain you and a farm takes too long unless you have bonemeal.