ok, we all know that Notch will be eventually making the Zombie Siege mode, so i got thinking, "What would make it way awesome?"
i think that this mode should be different from normal MC, so here's my ideas on how to make it different:
1. The only mob you find is zombies! hundreds and hundreds of zombies!
2. since the main point is to kill zombies with your friends, you cant just hole yourself up and hide. why do i say this? because the zombies would drop a resource (something more important than feathers) that would be crucial to your survival. the more zombies you kill...well, you get it...
3. the nightly waves of zombies would slowly get larger and larger. the first night would have 5 zombies; the 40th night would have over 100.
4. the zombies dont just wait for you to come to them, no, they hunt you. the AI would tell them where you are, so you cant just wait for them to all die out.
5. in multiplayer, the server would set special rules when regarding lives. so you can respawn near your death point a limited amount of times. if you lose all your lives, you arent kicked from the server, but are turned into a ghost who is not followed by the zombies and cannot be attacked (but nor can you interact with anything). essentially, you are a spectator.
Sounds fun, but I don't like the spectating idea. If you die you should loose everything you had on you. Serves you right for not making a house. Also it should be made that each night never ends unless all of the zombies are killed. And zombies should be able to break through things, but at a more reduced rate than humans.
I'd suggest being able to break through things at a rate the same as a player without anything equipped.
It'll make obsidian a material of choice as it's nearly unbreakable, and people in mud huts will be violated.
the spectating would allow those who have died to stay in the game. they might want to see what happens...
also, forgot to add: not all of the zombies are your garden variety zombie, on rare occasions you will be graced with the presence of the general zombies (the ones with the body armor). they would lead the zombies and be defended by his cohorts at all costs.
and not all zombies should mine. after the first 10 days or so, then you would get blue zombies (maybe?) who could dig and destroy your stuff
What if they start out as complete little shits, then as the game goes onward they get smarter, but with every game i happens at different points? So one day they just get smarter, and soon they can do alot of stuff? So at first they wonder around and only attack you when provoked about 5-10 days later they'll attack for no reason, soon they just wanna murder you...
as long as they can spectate, because those who have died should at least be somewhat a part of the action (they can give a bird's eye view to the living)
and, i think that it should last forever! people just try to see how far they get.
the game's AI needs to recognize how many people are on the server. then it cant adjust the size of the horde accordingly. (this is so that a team of 3 people dont get an ocean of zombies on the 4th day)