I've seen lots of topics like this, they usually get lots of dislikes, but it's not something I want to be in the game right now, maybe a mod is more likely.
My issues with current ores are not critical, they're just fine but not quite convencing. I've read opinions like diamonds shouldn't be meant to make tools or armor, or that we need a intermediate tier between iron and diamond, so I started tinkering and brought this little remake:
- Wooden pickaxes mine stone at a rate similar to punching wood, however they have infinite uses and every player starts with one of those, as well as an wood axe.
- Stone pickaxe act as nowadays wooden pickaxes, but they can also mine copper and tin.
- Coal is untouched.
- Copper replaces the appearance places of iron, pickaxes made of this mine stuff as fast and with same durability than actual stone picks, but they only can mine lapis in addition to what stone can.
- Tin appears replacing copper 1/3 of the time. They can't make tools directly, but can be alloyed with copper to make bronze. (1)
- Bronze pickaxes mine as fast as copper, but has ~50% more durability and can mine the same minerals as an iron pick used to. (1)
- Iron is as abundant as it is now, but it only generates at diamond height. Tools of this material have double efficacy and are allowed to mine the next tier ore [not yet named].
- Due to iron being now harder to obtain, items like shears and buckets should change their recipes to use tin instead. Rails maybe should still require iron, but they are crafted in stacks of 32 instead of 16 (maybe even more)
- Similarly, Iron golems must go and be replaced with others made of tin. Zombie's rare drops will degrade to copper also.
- Alloying one iron block with one coal produces one steel block, craftable into 4 steel ingots (this means that you need 9 iron to make 4 steel) (1)
- A new ore is introduced to replace diamond tools, maybe cobalt since being closest in color (and also as a reference to the mojang-published game, but it's not actually developed by them, so not quite good) or maybe another fictional metal like mithril or ones that aren't that hard but often marketed as such like titanium. Works exactly like diamond tools.
- Diamonds, amongst other new gems, can't be used to make tools now, but can be used to upgrade tools, for example:
* Diamonds increase durability of the tool
* Emeralds increase the block break speed (tools)/damage(weapons)/mitigation(armor)
* And so on
- Only one gem can be applied to each tool and once applied they can't be retrieved or replaced.
(1) Requires alloy furnaces to be implemented, the one from redpower seems a good implementation with a 3x3 inventory.
This is just only a basic idea and I'll tweak it later on. Meanwhile, suggest improvements if you like to.
How would this affect older worlds? All of my diamond tools will disappear and the new ores won't generate in existing chunks. You're also suggesting that players start out with a wooden axe, which removes any need to ever punch trees. Punching trees is one of the things that makes Minecraft Minecraft. Your suggestion is like suggesting that creepers be removed. I don't support this (except for copper, but that's because it would be awesome to build with) at all.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
If anyone wants to port/remake this, feel free to do that! Or don't. It's up to you, really.
Alloys would be a logical approach, but new ores would be would be problematic since Iron is the core material for a lot of practical items. You can't simply replace its rarity in the table, and a label change wouldn't make sense (since gold is softer then iron in the MC world).
Steel tools as an intermediate between iron and diamond would workable though. For armor, Steel would take Iron's current protection value, and Iron would inhert Chain mails current value (could even be used as an excuse to reintroduce it into the game). As for tools, perhaps give steel 500 uses before breaking.
To artifically keep it mid-late game, they should add a complex requirement to producing alloys. Perhaps an upgrade recipe to the Furnace involving a Furnace, Bricks, a lava bucket, and call it a "Blast Furnace". (I'll go pitch that idea separately). It also has the added benefit of opening a whole new crafting tree.
I really do not support this Since every player will start with a wooden axe and pick and with infinite uses Since punching trees is what makes MC itself its like your suggesting to take out the annoying creepers and By the way TIN GOLEMS? Are you crazy? and iron at diamond height? And what would that affect to the older worlds? What would happen to the diamond tools?