I've been playing Minecraft for as long as I've had a computer, and It's a game I always come back too. And recently, I came back and started a new survival world! Let me be the first to tell you, I'm in love with this Aquatic update. It's by far the best update I've seen in my time playing Minecraft, I was baffled. They've turned the ocean; a place I hated visiting, into something I can spend hours exploring. During my absence Mojang has introduced so many amazing and fun mechanics and items, Like the Trident, the upcoming crossbow, magma blocks, and a lot more. And don't get me wrong these are really cool and fun items, but with these new updates, I get more and more worried for certain features. As Mojang adds new features they continue to neglect several items already in the game, items that have some serious potential, but sadly, as time goes, these items and features are only getting more and more 'useless'. I've hoped that Mojang would revisit these items in the future to make them less useless. Thankfully the Aquatic update, it gave me large amounts of hope, as they were able to turn the useless ocean, into a vibrant and beautiful place to be. Which got me thinking, there needs to be a 'useless update' where they revisit these useless features and items and make them genuinely useful. I've gone ahead and created a list, of features and items I thought would be some good examples of what I mean, along with ways you could improve them.
1. Bats. ) Bats are my favorite mobs, they're cute and make adorable sounds. However, they're really useless. They don't have any purpose to exist, which is quite sad, because they have a lot of potential. My idea of a change would include having them be more active by them traveling the night sky in groups similar to the way fish travel together. They would spawn in caves in packs, and similar to turtles with beaches that cave is considered their 'home', a place they fly back to, to escape the sunlight. They'd attack cave spiders, silverfish and endermites on sight for food. Finally, they drop bat wings you can eat for a short duration of night vision, or by standing next to them, or they can grant you night vision(for a less cruel way to gain the effect.) Allowing players to gain a nice buff pre-netherwarts. This would most definitely make bats a valuable part of someone's playthrough.
2. Furnace minecarts. ) My initial thought that came to mind when I saw a furnace cart for the first time, was to build a train. Unfortunately, due to the mechanics of the furnace cart, it does quite work out the way I planned. Which leads me my solution. The furnace carts should work as the head of a train! It would cause other carts it touches to follow behind it. For example, if the furnace cart rams into a hopper cart, it plops the hopper cart at the back of the train, all while the furnace cart continues in the same direction without losing momentum. Furnace carts coal duration should be increased drastically. A way to supply the cart without the player would require a hopper and chest cart. A chest cart to hold the coal, and hopper cart to transfer that coal to the furnace cart! In addition, when the furnace cart makes contact with a powered rail, it grants the furnace cart a permanent improvement in speed(with a limit, of course) and upon touching an unpowered rail it slightly decreased the speed, allowing for players to control the speed with the use of powered rails.
3. Gold armor and tools. ) Gold is majestic, it's shiny, it represents riches and popularity, and unfortunately, it's also useless. Now, before I tell my opinion, be prepared as my idea seems rather odd, but I think it's genius. Gold's current and most popular use is golden apples which got me thinking, why does gold have such a magical effect? Then it hit me... The base properties of gold should remain the same, dinky, useless and ineffective, until... you enchant it! Gold armor should be capable to receive higher level enchantments while receiving an extra bonus from unbreaking and mending. Making it a weak and undesirable use for armor and tools in the early stages of the game, but the one of the best source of enchanted armor and tools in the later stages of the game. For example, diamond armor caps at prot 4, unbreaking 3, while gold armor caps at prot 6, unbreaking 6. However, it will cost a lot more in XP. Fully enchanted, gold tools should be the fastest and most durable enchanted tools, while the sword gives less damage but more potent effects, and gold armor protects for less but has the highest durability and most protective effects.
4. Pig riding. ) Riding a pig pretty adorable and while the carrot on a stick was a good attempt at making this feature less useless. It didn't really change much. After obtaining a saddle, it's harder to get a carrot on a stick than it is to get an apple to tame a horse. Making horses an overall better and easier use for a saddle. My idea to make pigs less useless is to make zombie pigmen hostile towards horses and pigs faster when near zombie pigmen. Making pigs the best form of transportation in the nether. Why would a zombie pigman be hostile towards horses you may ask? Simple! Pigs spend their entire lives being outperformed by horses as mounts. And since pigs are zombie pigman(proven by when pigs are struck by lightning in the overworld.) They can take their revenge on the evil horses! The speed effect pigs gain near zombie pigmen can be similar to when a player is near a dolphin.
5. Polar bears and rabbits. ) Polar bears are cute, but I've never had a reason to actually look for one, along with rabbits. Rabbits are slightly more useful in the regards of potions, but their 'rabbit hide' in pretty useless. Cows are sometimes easier to find and a much better source of leather. This leads me to the idea that polar bears should drop 'polar bear fur', and have its own armor, along with rabbit hide. These armors would have the same stats as leather but just with a separate design, allowing for an arctic and fur variants of leather armor. Again, it's leather armor with same stats, different design. Whether you can dye these variants or have that be a leather only trait is up for debate.
6. Clocks. ) Okay, okay, I know. Clocks do have a purpose, but the purpose itself very useless. very rarely will you ever want or even need a clock outside of aesthetic purposes. So I came up with a great idea of allowing it to be crafted together with a daylight sensor to make an 'alarm clock' block. Similar to a daylight sensor but this block outputs a redstone signal at a desired time of day. When placed it allows the player to input a custom time of when it should activate.
In conclusion, I love this game. It's amazing to see what it's grown into, and I don't expect my idea's to be added into Minecraft exactly as how I listed. Instead, I hope to open the eyes of the developers and community. While I do appreciate and love what they're doing with the game, I feel like they've ignored these features and items for far too long. To the point where few the items I have listed have become a sort meme or joke. The furnace minecart is probably the most popular and oldest useless feature, and yet Mojang continues to ignore it regardless of it's potential. I can only hope they find the time to consider working on an update that makes more use out of these rather useless items. Regardless, I will always love this game, the community, and the developers. Thank you.
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Most of these seem like really cool ideas, i dont see much reason why they shouldn’t be implemented. I really like the idea for Bats, having them roam the night sky and then returning home. I like the idea of eating them for night vision, maybe Bat wings could also be made into leather like Rabbit hide can? The night vision when near them is a bit strange and doesnt make much sense.
Furnace carts, very little problem, i think they have recently increased the duration for coal but im not sure. The major problem i found was they lose a ton of speed when turning but go a long way in a straight line. A simpler way of fueling without player intervention would be to allow it to be filled by hoppers as it passes under them. You could also give it a User Interface that has 5 inventory slots for storing fuel and another slot with a fuel gage next to it where fuel is used (similar to how furnaces show how much longer their fuel will last).
Gold tools, no real problem. I think that current effects should be more potent on them though rather than letting them have more effects. Maybe enchantments on golden equipment are twice as effective?
Pigs need a buff, though your buff seems pretty useless. How often is the average player going to ride around the nether on anything, let alone a pig? And with a sudden buff to speed near pigmen, i can see a lot of players speeding off the edges of cliffs into lava. Instead, perhaps ‘using’ the carrot on a stick gives a speed boost at the cost of durability? That way its more consitent and useful so, if you want to get a short distance rapidly, use a pig.
For Polar Bears and Rabbits, maybe instead of full suits of armour, you only have part of them like with the Turtle Helmet (which gives water breathing)? So Polar Bear Fur could be made into a fur coat (which would give a strength boost) and Rabbit Hide could be made into Rabbit hide boots (for a jump boost). Polar bear fur could also be crafted to make 4 leather.
I like the alarm clock, it seems really useful. Hopefully it also looks like a clock so it can be used as decoration.
This is an interesting topic, I'll tell you my opinion on it.
in general, i dont think everything should have a usable purpose, sometimes the purpose is aesthetic, that doesn't mean we should overlook some great ideas, but again, there doesn't need to be a use for everything.
1 - as I just explained, i like bats being simply aesthetic mobs, now that we have fish decorating waters, bats for caves, all we need is some birds to decorate the over world skies.
they might drop some feathers or an edible meat item, but still their main purpose is aesthetic.
I like the idea of bats appearing outside of caves during night time, but I don't support the idea of them having some magical abilities.
2 - Furnace minecarts, i like this idea, maybe we can use lead to connect minecarts together, instead of having them automatically connect when touching.
3 - Gold Armor and tools, bro, exactly the same idea i had, not only increase the level cap for gold , but to have some enchantments exclusive to gold items. checkout this Thread
4 - I like your idea for polar bears and rabbits being an aesthetic one, perhaps wolves should drop wolf pelts as well.
5 - Not bad, so it can detect time even without access to the sky.
How about we don't make a new block, instead we make redstone comparators emit signal from clocks placed in item frames? I mean since one of the popular uses of the comparator is detect certain properties of normal blocks and emit signal based of it.
In conclusion, i like the ideas for the most parts, except for bats, not only i think bats should remain aesthetic, i think we need more aesthetic mobs, flying birds, or crawling critters, the overworld needs to be more alive.
When posting suggestion threads, you are only permitted to include one idea (or closely-related group of ideas) per thread. This thread contains multiple unrelated ideas and is considered a wish list, which is not allowed.