As useful as wood is in Minecraft, there are some things that should be changed about it and its variants.
* Make a redwood biome. This should have VERY tall redwood trees. When redwood logs, planks, etc burn, they take longer and become the charred version (ex. "Charred Redwood Planks"). Any fire on that block will go away. If that block catches on fire again, it will burn up. You can also heat up the redwood blocks in furnaces to get charred redwood, but there is no purpose for this other than how it looks.
* While getting just the log itself when punching trees is usual, make the uncommon happening of also getting its bark. The texture could be similar to rotten flesh, but a bit darker or a different shade. You can eat bark, but of course you will take damage and nausea. You can craft 9 of the same type bark together to get a bark block, which has the texture of the log but with the side texture on the top and bottom. (Many Minecraft builders use commands to get this texture, but it should be available in-game.)
* An enchantment unique to axes should be added, possibly called "Slicing". The enchantment has only one level (just like Infinity and Mending), and when breaking wood logs with this axe, you will immediately get four planks instead of the log itself. (This will save time, but also prevent getting certain blocks. Sort of like Silk Touch.)
* Right clicking a crafting table while holding a carpet in your offhand should change the color of the tablecloth on top of the crafting table to that color.
* You should be able to craft different wood types of bookshelves. Also, as always with bookshelves and update ideas, I think you should be able to add/remove the books from the shelves. (When you craft the bookshelf, it should already be full of books because of the recipe.) If the bookshelf is frequently pushed by a piston, some books may fall out.
* Any recipe allowing for different wood types (boats, fences, doors, etc) should allow the player to craft another variant by using a mix of different woods. If the player wants a door but only has 3 oak planks and 3 birch planks for example, they should still be able to make said door. This "mixed" variant should simply be named "Wooden Boat" or "Wooden Fence", and use a shade in between oak and spruce.
Right clicking a birdhouse will open its inventory. It has one container slot, in which you can only place wheat seeds, pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, beetroot seeds, nether wart, and cookies. There is also a slot for "output"; I'll get back to that. When something is in the seed slot, then bats, vexes, chickens (if they can reach it), and most importantly parrots (1.12), will go inside the birdhouse. They will eat the seeds and recognize the birdhouse as a place to come back to, since you might put in more seeds. While they are in the birdhouse, they will occasionally put something in the "output" slot. Chickens will output eggs, parrots will output feathers (or another item specific to parrots that is later added in 1.12), vexes will output various potion ingredients, and bats will output iron and gold nuggets.
Tell me what you think about these ideas and what you'd change! If you have your own ideas about wood, let me know!
It all involves wood, but a Treecapitator enchantment and vexes living in birdhouses aren't exactly similar enough.
I'd still consider this a wish list, it's just themed. Even though they're wood themed, they don't build off of each other. If you can separate them into different threads without losing any details, you probably should.
While the ideas are generally similar and all follow a central theme of wood, the actual ideas themselves are vastly different. Some are about new items from wood, new enchantments for wood, new biomes that happen to have a tree type in it, and then changing how an item looks that just so happens to be made from wood. For that reason I will be locking this.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Want some advice on how to thrive in the Suggestions section? Check this handy list of guidelines and tips for posting your ideas and responding to the ideas of others!