There has been a lot of discussion related to the Aether, a sky dimension filled with floating islands. Just giving us a dimension of floating islands made out of Overworld blocks would please a lot of players, but anger others as they think that the Aether needs to have its own unique blocks. If the Aether is ever released, you'll need to find a way to satisfy both parties. But how can that be done? Give them both what they want.
The Skylands Generator
If the Aether is to be released, I suggest using some of the suggestions from
Instead of trying to make two dimensions, or something alike, I suggest creating a "Skylands" world type. This will allow for players to explore the Overworld as if it were a sky dimension.
• There will be no bottom to the world; if you fall, you end up dying in a blue abyss.
• The weather will be disabled for this world type
• Some new special requirements will have to be added for selecting a point to set the spawn at; possibly add a requirement for the spawnpoint to be placed on a 20+ x 20+ sized island?
• Although there will be plenty of large islands to enclose fortresses, floating fortresses may become a common occurrence
• Floating mineshafts may also become a common occurence
Characteristics similar to other world types
• All Overworld biomes (except for oceans) will still be present.
• Most structures will still be present (except for Ocean Monuments).
• All monsters/blocks of the Overworld will still be present (except for those found in Ocean Monuments).
• Players will still be able to travel to other dimensions, such as the End and Nether (even the Aether, if it is released).