Apparently this was only possible in an older version of Minecraft. However I would seriously would like to play in a multi-level floating island world. I understand that, currently, I can build my own islands, but that doesn’t come close to the sense of discovery and wonderment of having a map like the one in the video below.
Floating Island video:
NOTE: I realize that a floating island biome may be implemented. If this biome merely contains floating islands placed as in the current build then my idea differs in a significant enough way that, I feel, it warrants mention separately.
- Single islands large enough to contain their own seas or lava fields.
- Mountain chains on islands large enough to have several caves/dungeons (as the current build).
(Maybe): A way to grab resources without them falling into oblivion (or, at least a method one can use to build on the underside of a block when necessary . . . perhaps from a ladder while "sneaking").
(Maybe): Make the floating island world a dimension like the “Hell dimension” mentioned in the Halloween update (. . . possibly allowing access to the player by building up into the air).
(Maybe): Individual island movement (just like tectonic plates of the real world . . . possibly on a 30 day cycle or something). This would make island hopping more dynamic and challenging . . . but it would also be insanely taxing . . . and possibly difficult to program.
- The day/night cycle would be screwed up and/or look funny when transitioning (and I’m not so sure the current build can handle an omni-directional setup as the sun circles the islands). (. . . it would be interesting to see daylight coming from below however.)
- Both sand and gravel fall when disturbed making both resources more difficult to acquire.
- Transportation from one island to another is far more difficult (boats become nearly worthless).
- I’m not sure how “deep” the current build can go to create a dense enough, multi-level floating island chain(s).
- I’m not sure if the current build would support a floating island network large enough to provide the resources necessary to a player (as floating islands tend to be resource poor).
NOTE: This wouldn’t be for everyone so some kind of GUI with control parameters for the created world would have to exist (if the island world is a “normal” world setup).
(Information provided because I don’t want to repeat what has already been mentioned.)