Hey folks, I've been working on this preset for a while and figured I'd share it. It's just a modification of some other preset I found a long time ago, but the results are amazing IMO. There are two variations, but here is the base preset:
1. Biome is set to Deep Ocean only. However, islands naturally spawn in Deep Oceans. The end result is an ocean world with only islands of the following types:
-Plains and Sunflower Plains
-Forest variations (including Flower Forest)
2. Villages can spawn on Plains islands, however they may be rare. You will not have access to certain items like Jungle Wood and I believe Cactus, as neither of those spawn in those types of islands.
3. Ore distribution is default.
4. Sea Level is 74. This will make islands more common but sometimes you will have unsightly large beaches. The other recommended Sea Level is 81. This will drastically reduce the amount of large beaches. It will also lengthen the distance between islands. Use whichever you prefer.
5. Villages are set to true. However, since Sea Level is raised, there are some sunken Plains islands that occur (especially at Sea Level of 81). This creates ugly villages that are out in the ocean with no land below them. Set that to false if you want to avoid that.
6. BiomeSize is set to 7. This is larger than Large Biomes. Take a look at the pictures below or in game to see if this size is acceptable. This preset is designed to be used with BiomeSize 7 so you will need to fool around with it if you want a smaller size. This preset gives a nice mix of smaller and larger islands though.
An island chain with Sea Level 81:
A map of an island chain at Sea Level 74. The main island has been cleared. These smaller islands tend to get swallowed up at Sea Level 81, but there are still plenty of them to be found.
This is still a work in progress, but here are some screenshots of what I have so far:
A small, cozy island
A lush Flower Forest island, with plenty of room for expansion
Updated the original post to include spoiler tags. I've been working on the mountainous variation, some screenshots of what I've come up with so far are now in the original post. There's still some bugs I'm trying to iron out but let me know if anyone wants the preset as it currently is.
One important thing mentioned in another thread of mine - if you go to the screen that lets you change Sea Level, Caves, etc, make sure you go down to the bottom and change Biome to Deep Ocean because there's a bug that will change it.