+ Added Redstone Comparator (used in Redstone logic)
+ Added Hopper (collects items and moves them to containers)
+ Added Dropper (similar to Dispensers, but always drops the item)
+ Added Activator Rail (activates TNT Minecarts)
+ Added Daylight Sensor
+ Added Trapped Chest
+ Added Weighed Pressure Plate
+ Added Block of Redstone
+ Added Nether Brick (item)
+ Added Nether Quartz and ore
+ Added Block of Quartz, with half blocks and chiseled variants
+ New command: /scoreboard
+ New command: /effect
+ Containers and mobs can have custom names
* Inventory management has been changed, for example you can drag-place items over slots
* Texture packs now have separate images for each block and item, and can have animations
* Nether Quartz Ore now spawns in the Nether
* Smooth lighting now has three settings (none, minimal, maximum)
* More detailed death messages
* Some hostile mobs now are harder in Hard difficulty
* Many, many, bug fixes - Removed Herobrine
Notch already claimed he removed Herobrine
They try to remove Herobrine after every update for the horrible things he caused. But he is just too powerful, they can't remove him no matter how hard they try. He will be in the darkness, waiting and watching, waiting... for the kill.
It was first done in Beta 1.6.6, all the way to Beta 1.8.1, as Notch joking about how he removed bits and pieces of the "secret" Human mob's code from the game. In every version since, it was just a joke by Jeb. Ignore it now.
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
From a thread I have in the works:
Let's slow down a second. Actually, let's go backwards in time (for several seconds). The first time Herobrine was mentioned was a long time ago, in an internet far-far-away. He appears to have arrived on the scene around August 22 2010.