It seems that every now and then, you find a suggestion for something luck based and it get blasted for such a mechanic being out of the control of the player. Even more rarely, you might find a good one.
Example: uhhh i just had an awsome idea whennyou visit a villige there’s s.....a 10% chanceyou’ll be sttackes by all of them it adds a challange cuz your gonna have to wach out which villige you go to
Not only is this suggestion incredibly stupid, but unfair because it’s a random percentage. But how do you make one work? It’s been proven possible with the enchantment system; arguably, it’s beneficial to the game. So what’s the difference between a good suggestion with this and a poor suggestion? How can you avoid mistakes with random chance mechanics? I’d like to know since I had this burning question for so long. And I just can’t find out the secret formula for a good luck based mechanic.
That's quite a tricky question. you are thinking about adding a new feature to the game. The main problem with new features is balance. New features WILL disrupt the current balance in the game. Your job is to design your feature in such a way that the new balance is fair and fun.
Specifically, you want to add a chance element. The idea of chance, is that it is possible to get one outcome, or another. Keeping balance in chance based features is difficult, because you can severely increase or decrease the difficulty or playability of a game.
In your specific example, it's actually quite easy to spot though. You added a chance element where you have a chance of getting a disadvantage, but there is no chance to get an advantage. People like to bet, because they have the feeling that they can win, so a chance feature should use that. There is a chance that a player gets a disadvantage, but the advantage must be just attractive enough that people are willing to risk getting a disadvantage.
To sum it up: A new feature in the game needs to provide a new balance that keeps the game enjoyable. For chance based features, there has to be both a negative and a positive side, balanced in such way, that people are willing to bet.
I hope that I got it by the right end here. This is what I remember from my course in game design.
Well from the look of that thread, a lot of the problems people had were more to do with the way the idea was formatted and that a lot of the effects not being all that useful, and the side issue was the randomness part.
It kind of goes like this in my mind: If the random chance is positive, it has to be balanced against what is put into it. For example, take enchanting. If you only needed one level to have a good shot at the best enchantments, it is too powerful. If you had to spend 30 levels and only got 1 enchantment, it is too weak.
If the random chance is negative, it has to be balanced to not be too unfair. For example, eating Raw Chicken has a chance for negative effects. But the chance is fair (30%), the effect isn't a big deal (Hunger), and the effect is short (30 seconds). Plus the effect can be entirely mitigated (don't eat Raw Chicken).
If possible, the negative risk should still be enjoyable, or have a chance for benefit. A Creeper is a negative risk, but it has a chance for XP and items. And the explosion from it can be utilized (use it to clear land you wanted to get rid of anyways), or mitigated (explosions in water don't break blocks). It also provides a challenge for the player.
So a lot of the issue with that thread is that the negative and positive effects are undefined. You say you "might" get Blindness, but that could be a 1% chance or 99% chance. You also say that the potions are gotten by mixing regular potions with Blaze Rods, Gold, and "other things". You don't define the other things and you don't say what mixes with what. The lengths of effects are not defined either, so we don't know how long we have to deal with the bad.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Want some advice on how to thrive in the Suggestions section? Check this handy list of guidelines and tips for posting your ideas and responding to the ideas of others!