This is the official continuation of the x16 NES Challenge 2 created by Fire_Fist. If you were entered into that challenge, you can keep right on going for this one. Everything used there should work in this one with only minor changes. I hope that you all enjoy this one now that the previous incarnation has ceased.
THE GOAL: Create the best Texture pack to only use resources that were available to the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) and win!
THE DEADLINE: Since I have started this very close to the holidays and many people are with their families and friends, we are going to have an exceptionally far off deadline of Saturday January 31st, 2015. This should give everyone who wants to get a head start a great chunk of time, and a reasonable amount of time for those who'd like to wait!
1. You must use the NES palette.
2. Everything must be in Minecraft default 16 x 16 resolution.
3. Three colors per tile for blocks and items - or - per 16 x 16 area for other things like mobs.
4. There is no minimum to enter. You will be judged based on what has been completed. A more complete pack is more likely to impress the judges, however.
5. Anything else goes. Use MCPatcher, make block models, design textures for mods, use full transparency on blocks that support it, etc. If you can see it in Minecraft it will be taken into consideration upon judging. Make sure to let the judges know what you've added if it's anything beyond vanilla, and please do not use these things to circumvent the spirit of the challenge.
6. Anything created for the NES Challenge 2 can be used in the NES Challenge 2.5. You do not have to start over.
7. Finalized Entries MUST include a download to a FUNCTIONING pack, plus three screenshots. If you've textured things from Forge mods, please provide screenshots of those things so that the judges don't have to install stuff just to see what you've done.
We already have all of the judges we need. No more applications please. Note that judges are NOT allowed to evaluate or vote for their own entries if they choose to participate as well as judge in order to keep things fair.
Basically, the NES only allows for a set number of 3-color palettes per screen (four for backgrounds, and four for sprites). I basically made it so that I could only use only four 3-color palettes per biome, or screen, and four palettes for mobs in a particular dimension.
There isn't any sort of 'Mega Man Clause', is there?
No. This as omitted because it was a clunky rule that was written with blocks in mind for a contest that allows for more than just blocks. With the colors rule being changed to three per tile or 16x16 area instead of three per block I decided that it was no longer necessary to have a Mega Man Clause and the other judges agreed with me.
Edit: If anything I suppose you could consider using 16x16 areas for mobs and entities as this contest's version of the MMC since the point is to mirror how Megaman is actually drawn using multiple sprites, thus using multiple palettes, in the first games of the series.
Also, your mobs look fantastic! It's really a breath of fresh air to see someone take a non-blocks path for a contest when given the opportunity. Bravo sir!
We're still looking for one more Judge. If you're interested, please post on this thread saying so and you will be considered. Judges are NOT allowed to evaluate or vote for their own entries if they choose to participate as well as judge.
Please I would like to be a judge. It's hard to make textures with so restricting rules, so I want to evaluate the artists' work.