What is that?
This resource upgrade for the default resource pack of Minecraft aims to improve the appearance of the game without the use of mods, while staying faithful to the general style of Minecraft. All features included in this resource pack work with vanilla Minecraft.
What are the main features of this pack?
It adds a bunch of improved textures (water, lava and fire animations, several blocks and items, GUI elements, the sun, moon, paintings, armor, ...), some of them with increased resolution. It also adds a better readable HD in-game font, makes the dull biome colors a bit better to look at, tweaks several mobs and other entities, adds random terrain textures for more variety and proper 3D block and item models for some blocks and entities. Furthermore, it replaces the most annoying in-game sounds with improved or new ones. For a more detailed list of features, see below.
How do I install the pack?
Simply copy the whole "Better than Default" zip-file to the resource packs folder of Minecraft, un-zipping the file is not necessary. Then start the game, open Options / Resource Packs, select "Better than Default", click "Done" and enjoy!
What about other texture features like connected textures?
Older versions of this pack (pre-1.9) supported a bunch of additional texture features like connected textures, custom colors, random mobs, better glass rendering and a custom HD skybox, which only work when using mods like MCPatcher or Optifine. Due to the (slowly) increasing amount of resource pack functionality in vanilla Minecraft as well as uncertainty about future updates for the required mods, those features are no longer kept in the pack and won't receive updates anymore.
I really like this. How can I support you ?
1. By reporting issues you found in the pack on this forum thread
2. By telling all your friends to use this
3. By adding the following banner code to your signature:
Update 2.6 available including following new features and changes:
Converted resource pack format to version 5 for Minecraft 1.15
Fixed chest texture and enchantment glint compatibility issues with Minecraft 1.15
Added the new character Є to the in-game font
Added a new pumpkin blur texture that looks more realistic, better fits modern 16:9 screens and also allows for a slightly better view while playing
Changed Dragon Breath and honey bottles to better fit each other and the other glass bottles
Fixed earlier wheat growth stages missing the pre-1.14 textures
Centered the new honeycomb item
Added and tweaked bee nest/hive front textures to show the exact honey level
Added a 95% transparent white background to the beacon beam texture as a more or less temporary workaround for MC-163153 (appears white for now, but should be transparent again when the bug is fixed)
Replaced three old main menu splash texts with new ones
Adjusted the colors of the Minecraft 1.15 main menu background to be closer to the in-game appearance of this pack
List of implemented features:
● Adds better readable in-game font with 16x resolution
● Adds new SGA font to Enchantment GUI (doubled resolution)
● Adds high-resolution Minecraft and Java Edition logos (4x resolution)
● Adds some new splash texts and removes boring ones (reduces overall amount to 100, resulting in a 1% probability)
● Changes HUD icons and bars to be in 8x resolution
● Changes in-game map icons to be in 4x resolution
● Adds better looking hover effect for menu buttons
● Adds better arrow buttons for resource pack and server lists
● Adds better looking pop-up notification windows
● Adds some improvements to the hotbar slots
● Gives the Beacon GUI a completely new appearance
● Adds some tweaks to the Crafting Book, Anvil, Enchanting Table, Trading, Brewing Stand, Stonecutter, Loom, Horse, Creative inventory and Advancements GUI windows
● Adds a more natural looking sun (4x resolution) and moon (16x resolution)
● Adds new rain and snow particles (4x resolution)
● Adds a less dull color palette to grass and leaves
● Adds high-resolution water blur (4x resolution)
● Changes darkness blur to allow a slightly better view in dark areas and underwater
● Changes pumpkin blur to make more sense and allow a slightly better view
● Adds better looking textures for Ice, Glowstone, Cobwebs, small and giant Mushrooms, Ferns and Cacti
● Adds improvements to the Sandstone top textures to reduce lattice effects
● Adds new side textures for snowy Podzol and Mycelium blocks which actually fit the blocks
Building, Decoration, etc:
● Adds better looking textures for all types of Glass blocks and panes, Beacons, Iron Bars, Bricks, TNT, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Brewing Stands, End Rods, Iron and Oak Wood Doors and Trapdoors
● Adds more crystalline-looking Diamond Blocks and properly colored diamond corners to Enchanting Tables
● Adds proper slab, double slab and stair side textures for all blocks with a seam
● Adds better looking melon textures as well as proper bottom textures for pumpkins and melons
● Improves the growth stages of Wheat, Carrots and Potatos to make them more distinctive
● Adds different textures for the moisture levels of farmland
● Adds different textures for the age levels of Chorus Flowers
● Adds different textures for the honey levels of Bee Nests/Hives
Redstone: ● Slightly improves the appearance of Redstone wires
● Adds more useful textures for Repeaters, Comparators, Redstone Torches, Observers, Detector Rails and Tripwire
● Adds improved Dispenser and Dropper output textures
● Adds more useful, high-contrast Redstone Lamp
● Adds better looking animations for water, lava, fire and portals
● Adds fire and glowing animations to lit furnaces
● Adds red pulsing animation to Monster Spawners
● Adds tweaked, animated Command Block textures
● Adds bubble animations to bottles inside a Brewing Stand
● Improves to the Door, Trapdoor, Piston, Lever, Tripwire Hook, Comparator, Repeater, Cactus and Potted Cactus block models
● Adds new 3D block models for Sugar Canes, Furnaces, Dispensers, Droppers, Jukeboxes, Observers, Daylight Sensors, Glass Panes, Iron Bars, Rails and Ladders
● Adds backface rendering for normal glass blocks, Beacons and Monster Spawners
● Adds 6-way connecting borders for mushroom blocks
● Fixes the saw blade animation of stonecutters
● Randomises the textures/block models of all stone types including their polished variants and slabs, all ores (including Quartz Ore), Dirt, Coarse Dirt, Grass, Mycelium, Podzol, Grass Paths, Gravel, Clay, Sand, Obsidian, all ice variants, all mushroom blocks, Tall Grass, Dead Bushes, Cobwebs, Lily Pads, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Soul Sand, Glowstone and Nether Wart Blocks, for more variety in-game and to reduce lattice effects
● Adds better looking items for Doors, Signs, Paintings, Glowstone and Redstone Dust, Gunpowder, Sugar, Ender Eyes, Nether Stars, all kinds of bottles and potions, Compass, Clocks, Shears, Paper and Maps, Lava Buckets, Melon Slices, Pumpkin Pie, Wheat, Sugar Canes, Cooked Fish, Firework Rockets, Totems of Undying, Tridents, Phantom Membranes and Music Discs
● Improves the colors of all coal, diamond and gold items
● Adds better looking armor and elytra items and fitting armor/shield inventory slot icons
● Centers all oddly placed items for a better appearance in inventories
● Adds 3D models for all block and entity items that don't show them by default
● Adds smooth dial/needle movement to clock/compass
● Adds animated XP orbs inside XP Bottles
● Slightly improves the bow texture and its pull animation
● Adds shields and shield overlay patterns with doubled resolution
● Adds better animations for charged Creepers and Wither Armor
● Adds a more realistic explosion animation (2x resolution)
● Removes the annoying white "sweep effect" animation and damage hearts popping up when attacking mobs
● Adds a smaller, less obtrusive glint particle seen when fertilising plants and feeding baby animals
● Doubles the resolution of the SGA particles emitted from bookshelves around an enchanting table
● Adds new, less annoying weather sounds (rain and thunder)
● Adds a better explosion sound
● Improved portal, fire ignition, lavapop and water sounds
● Adds new bow shoot and bow hit sounds
● Drastically reduced the volume of the player attack sounds
● Re-adds the old, more funny cow sounds from Alpha/Beta
● Changes the headache-triggering bat squeaking to a more realistic, higher-pitched sound
More screenshots here:
3D items, better doors and trapdoors, more detailed Enchantment Books, cacti and cobwebs! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better sugar canes, smooth needle and dial movement for compass and clocks, better rain: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better distinguishable crops and growth stages: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better looking glass: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Slightly improved Redstone Wires, better Repeaters and high-contrast displays! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Comparison Default / Better than Default
Snow and ice revamped! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Enjoy Kristoffer Zetterstrand’s original artwork in 4x resolution!
Blowing up some houses is more fun now!
Better armor and random ores: Comparison Default / Better than Default
More natural-looking moon: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Also did some improvements to the End! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Even hell is better than default! Comparison Default / Better than Default
You can change or use the included features in any way you want, you don't have to ask me for permission. I'm OK with people using my pack to make texture presentation videos or even to make their own texture/resource packs, but please add a reference including my name and a link to my forum thread!
You're not allowed to ...
... make any money with anything containing my stuff! (no donations, no adf.ly links, ...)
... upload my pack anywhere else (distribution is only made via this forum thread!)
... use any features I took from other texturepacks without the permission from the authors!
I've permission to use textures from the following texturepacks:
Misa's 64x64 Realistic Pack
Used parts: Water, lava and fire animations (downscaled, colors changed), rain and snow textures, HD water blur, the Minecraft logo, the XP/boss health bars, map icons, XP orbs, a tweaked version of the HD Wither painting, the explosion animation (downscaled from 4x to 2x resolution), the charged creeper and Wither armor animations.
>>> Forum Link
1) It's a crying face.
2) My signature says "Default edits make me cry"
3) It is a short way of saying that I dislike this pack.
Make sense now?
You're missing the point. No one saying they don't understand. The fact of the matter is it's a senseless, useless, unhelpful post.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why someone with a signature that says "Default edits make me cry" is on a thread for a default edit pack. Unless the aforementioned someone is just a trolling ****.
And to the naysayers. It's a brand new pack. Be patient, and show a little support. You'll never know what it can be if you try to shut it down right away.
Also, you should make armor, weapons/tools, and ores look different and random. All of the ores have the same shape (But Lapis and emerald if you count emerald yet) but they have different colors. So it would be cool if you made them 1 different shape for each ore. Same goes for the armor and weapons/tools. They all look the same but different color depending on what it is made out of. What I am saying is that a Diamond pickaxe and a Iron pickaxe shouldn't have the same exact shape. They should look different. Same for the other Armor and weapons/tools. Just a suggestion! I think people would like that and I would too.
I'm Having problems with your texture pack:
Mods loaded: 20
mod_keepInventory SSP 1.0
mod_InvTweaks 1.41b (1.2.4)
mod_ReiMinimap v3.2_04 [1.2.5]
mod_TooManyItems 1.2.5 2012-04-13
mod_airship Airships V2.5 for Post-Release: 1.2.3
mod_ingameInfo 1.2.5.g modified by bspkrs
mod_crystalWing 1.2.5.a updated by bspkrs
mod_floatingRuins 1.2.5.d modified by bspkrs
mod_treecapitator 1.2.5.h updated by bspkrs
mod_AS_BattleTowers 1.1.2 @ MC 1.2.5
mod_mocreatures v3.6.1 (MC 1.2.5)
mod_StatusEffectHUD v1.12 (1.2.5)
Minecraft has crashed!
Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.
--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 4eedfc74 --------
Generated 15/07/12 5:19 PM
Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5
OS: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1
Java: 1.7.0_03, Oracle Corporation
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
OpenGL: Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics version 3.0.0 - Build 220.127.116.112, Intel
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 55c526cd ----------
I'm sorry if this is not how I should be telling you.
On a side note: I love the texture pack! I have similar issues with misa's pack, but my computer doesn't like minecraft all that much so I don't often get texture packs... But now I'm rambling.