What is that?
This resource upgrade for the default resource pack of Minecraft aims to improve the appearance of the game without the use of mods, while staying faithful to the general style of Minecraft. All features included in this resource pack work with vanilla Minecraft.
What are the main features of this pack?
It adds a bunch of improved textures (water, lava and fire animations, several blocks and items, GUI elements, the sun, moon, paintings, armor, ...), some of them with increased resolution. It also adds a better readable HD in-game font, makes the dull biome colors a bit better to look at, tweaks several mobs and other entities, adds random terrain textures for more variety and proper 3D block and item models for some blocks and entities. Furthermore, it replaces the most annoying in-game sounds with improved or new ones. For a more detailed list of features, see below.
How do I install the pack?
Simply copy the whole "Better than Default" zip-file to the resource packs folder of Minecraft, un-zipping the file is not necessary. Then start the game, open Options / Resource Packs, select "Better than Default", click "Done" and enjoy!
What about other texture features like connected textures?
Older versions of this pack (pre-1.9) supported a bunch of additional texture features like connected textures, custom colors, random mobs, better glass rendering and a custom HD skybox, which only work when using mods like MCPatcher or Optifine. Due to the (slowly) increasing amount of resource pack functionality in vanilla Minecraft as well as uncertainty about future updates for the required mods, those features are no longer kept in the pack and won't receive updates anymore.
I really like this. How can I support you ?
1. By reporting issues you found in the pack on this forum thread
2. By telling all your friends to use this
3. By adding the following banner code to your signature:
Update 2.5 available including following new features and changes:
Fixed the ∅, ", ', •, һ, ⁊ and ＋ characters not showing up in the in-game font
Fixed the in-game font's ү character leaking into the Ү character, as well as some stray pixels on other characters
Added a bunch of new font characters introduced in Minecraft 1.14, including hebrew, armenian, vietnamese, upside down latin and runes
Fixed boss bar file resolution being twice of what its pixels show, also fixed a minor error on the empty grey bar
Changed the main menu accessability button hover effect to fit the other buttons in the pack
Removed the now separate, unmodified status effect icons from the inventory GUI file
Split the paintings file into separate files to be compatible with Minecraft 1.14
Removed custom villager and zombie villager skins as proper ones have been added in Minecraft 1.14
Removed the custom iron golem skin to keep its appearance consistent with the villagers, illagers and ravagers theme
Fixed the red mooshroom skin being incompatible with Minecraft 1.14
Re-added the old, pre-1.9 random mobs brown mooshroom skin which is now supported in vanilla Minecraft 1.14
Added the new banner "globe" pattern in 2x resolution to the shield patterns
Added all the new sign variants and their respective items
Added a better leather horse armor texture in 2x resolution as well as its respective item
Fixed missing repeater and comparator side textures
Fixed missing random textures for smooth stone slabs and blocks
Split the explosion and sweep attack animation files to be compatible with Minecraft 1.14
Removed the unnecessary damage heart particles
Changed the green glint particles seen when fertilising plants or feeding baby animals to be smaller and less obtrusive
Doubled the resolution of the SGA particles emitted from bookshelves around an enchanting table, to be the same as seen on the floating book
Updated and improved the villager trading GUI
Some improvements to the new loom and stonecutter GUIs
Fixed the z-fighting inside the slit of the jukebox model
Added proper slab, double slab and stair side textures for all blocks with a seam (polished andesite, polished diorite, polished granite, quartz, prismarine bricks, sandstone and cut sandstone)
Switched the rather large Nether Portal animation to use the vanilla animation instead, but with 30% less opacity, which makes it look more acceptable. This also reduces the memory usage of the portal animation by 90%.
Improved the following new block textures added in Minecraft 1.14: Enchanting table (diamond corners) and the End rod base texture.
Kept the following pre-1.14 block textures in the pack: Brewing stand base texture, Dead Bush (as a random texture variant) and stone (random texture variants 2-4).
Updated the following custom block textures to fit the new textures added in Minecraft 1.14: Random andesite, diorite and granite blocks and slabs, chorus flower stages, dispenser and dropper output faces, End
portal frame top texture, farmland moisture stages, furnace front textures (+ model adjustments), random gravel, random quartz ore, observers, pistons and sandstone top textures.
Improved the following new item textures added in Minecraft 1.14: Lava Bucket, gold and diamond tools/swords, coal, diamonds, gold ingots and nuggets, melon slices.
Kept the following pre-1.14 item textures in the pack: Firework rockets, gunpowder, redstone dust, sugar, maps, paper, bottles and potions, pumpkin pie and wheat.
Updated the following item models to match their respective entities in Minecraft 1.14: Boats, minecarts and saddles
Removed the following custom block and item textures because new, better or at least acceptable ones have been added in Minecraft 1.14: Acacia, birch and dark oak leaves, chiseled stone bricks, iron, gold, coal and redstone blocks, cobblestone and mossy cobblestone, glowing pumpkin face, magma blocks, red nether bricks, snow textures, all beetroot growth stages and fish buckets.
Removed all custom advancement GUI background textures
Centered several oddly placed items
Improvements to the bew banner pattern items: They now show a preview of its respective pattern on the item
Updated the horse GUI's saddle slot to show the new appearance of saddles
Improved the saw blade animation of stonecutters to show less flickering and correct movement direction on both sides
Improved the smoker front texture and animation
Added new 3D models for blast furnaces and smokers
Adjusted lit furnace animation frametime to be twice as long and also added frame interpolation, keeping it consistent with the othertwo, new furnace types
Gave bells, campfires and lanterns a 3D item
Updated the Enderchest texture to fit the new appearance of obsidian in Minecraft 1.14
Fixed missing flower pot bottom texture (see MC-120335)
Removed obsolete Minecraft Realms widgets from the main game GUI
Changed all the new Minecraft Realms menu button hover effects to fit the other buttons in the pack
Changed the new Minecraft Realms logo to be closer to the main menu Minecraft logo
Adjusted the colors of the new Minecraft 1.14 main menu background to be closer to the in-game appearance of this pack
List of implemented features:
● Adds better readable in-game font with 16x resolution
● Adds new SGA font to Enchantment GUI (doubled resolution)
● Adds high-resolution Minecraft and Java Edition logos (4x resolution)
● Adds some new splash texts and removes boring ones (reduces overall amount to 100, resulting in a 1% probability)
● Changes HUD icons and bars to be in 8x resolution
● Changes in-game map icons to be in 4x resolution
● Adds better looking hover effect for menu buttons
● Adds better arrow buttons for resource pack and server lists
● Adds better looking pop-up notification windows
● Adds some improvements to the hotbar slots
● Gives the Beacon GUI a completely new appearance
● Adds some tweaks to the Crafting Book, Anvil, Enchanting Table, Trading, Brewing Stand, Stonecutter, Loom, Horse, Creative inventory and Advancements GUI windows
● Adds a more natural looking sun (4x resolution) and moon (16x resolution)
● Adds new rain and snow particles (4x resolution)
● Adds a less dull color palette to grass and leaves
● Adds high-resolution water blur (4x resolution)
● Changes darkness blur to allow a slightly better view in dark areas and underwater
● Adds better looking textures for Ice, Glowstone, Cobwebs, small and giant Mushrooms, Ferns and Cacti
● Adds improvements to the Sandstone top textures and Snow to reduce lattice effects
● Adds new side textures for snowy Podzol and Mycelium blocks which actually fit the blocks
Building, Decoration, etc:
● Adds better looking textures for all types of Glass blocks and panes, Beacons, Iron Bars, Bricks, TNT, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Brewing Stands, End Rods, Iron and Oak Wood Doors and Trapdoors
● Adds more crystalline-looking Diamond Blocks and properly colored diamond corners to Enchanting Tables
● Adds proper slab, double slab and stair side textures for all blocks with a seam
● Adds better looking melon textures as well as proper bottom textures for pumpkins and melons
● Improves the growth stages of Wheat, Carrots and Potatos to make them more distinctive
● Adds different textures for the moisture levels of farmland
● Adds different textures for the age levels of Chorus Flowers
Redstone: ● Slightly improves the appearance of Redstone wires
● Adds more useful textures for Repeaters, Comparators, Redstone Torches, Observers, Detector Rails and Tripwire
● Adds improved Dispenser and Dropper output textures
● Adds more useful, high-contrast Redstone Lamp
● Adds better looking animations for water, lava, fire and portals
● Adds fire and glowing animations to lit furnaces
● Adds red pulsing animation to Monster Spawners
● Adds tweaked, animated Command Block textures
● Adds bubble animations to bottles inside a Brewing Stand
● Improves to the Door, Trapdoor, Piston, Lever, Tripwire Hook, Comparator, Repeater, Cactus and Potted Cactus block models
● Adds new 3D block models for Sugar Canes, Furnaces, Dispensers, Droppers, Jukeboxes, Observers, Daylight Sensors, Glass Panes, Iron Bars, Rails and Ladders
● Adds backface rendering for normal glass blocks, Beacons and Monster Spawners
● Adds 6-way connecting borders for mushroom blocks
● Fixes the saw blade animation of stonecutters
● Randomises the textures/block models of all stone types including their polished variants and slabs, all ores (including Quartz Ore), Dirt, Coarse Dirt, Grass, Mycelium, Podzol, Grass Paths, Gravel, Clay, Sand, Obsidian, all ice variants, all mushroom blocks, Tall Grass, Dead Bushes, Cobwebs, Lily Pads, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Soul Sand, Glowstone and Nether Wart Blocks, for more variety in-game and to reduce lattice effects
● Adds better looking items for Doors, Signs, Paintings, Glowstone and Redstone Dust, Gunpowder, Sugar, Ender Eyes, Nether Stars, all kinds of bottles and potions, Compass, Clocks, Shears, Paper and Maps, Lava Buckets, Melon Slices, Pumpkin Pie, Wheat, Sugar Canes, Cooked Fish, Firework Rockets, Totems of Undying, Tridents, Phantom Membranes and Music Discs
● Improves the colors of all coal, diamond and gold items
● Adds better looking armor and elytra items and fitting armor/shield inventory slot icons
● Centers all oddly placed items for a better appearance in inventories
● Adds 3D models for all block and entity items that don't show them by default
● Adds smooth dial/needle movement to clock/compass
● Adds animated XP orbs inside XP Bottles
● Slightly improves the bow texture and its pull animation
● Adds shields and shield overlay patterns with doubled resolution
● Adds better animations for charged Creepers and Wither Armor
● Adds a more realistic explosion animation (2x resolution)
● Removes the annoying white "sweep effect" animation and damage hearts popping up when attacking mobs
● Adds a smaller, less obtrusive glint particle seen when fertilising plants and feeding baby animals
● Doubles the resolution of the SGA particles emitted from bookshelves around an enchanting table
● Adds new, less annoying weather sounds (rain and thunder)
● Adds a better explosion sound
● Improved portal, fire ignition, lavapop and water sounds
● Adds new bow shoot and bow hit sounds
● Drastically reduced the volume of the player attack sounds
● Re-adds the old, more funny cow sounds from Alpha/Beta
● Changes the headache-triggering bat squeaking to a more realistic, higher-pitched sound
More screenshots here:
3D items, better doors and trapdoors, more detailed Enchantment Books, cacti and cobwebs! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better sugar canes, smooth needle and dial movement for compass and clocks, better rain: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better distinguishable crops and growth stages: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better looking glass: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Slightly improved Redstone Wires, better Repeaters and high-contrast displays! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Comparison Default / Better than Default
Snow and ice revamped! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Enjoy Kristoffer Zetterstrand’s original artwork in 4x resolution!
Blowing up some houses is more fun now!
Better armor and random ores: Comparison Default / Better than Default
More natural-looking moon: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Also did some improvements to the End! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Even hell is better than default! Comparison Default / Better than Default
You can change or use the included features in any way you want, you don't have to ask me for permission. I'm OK with people using my pack to make texture presentation videos or even to make their own texture/resource packs, but please add a reference including my name and a link to my forum thread!
You're not allowed to ...
... make any money with anything containing my stuff! (no donations, no adf.ly links, ...)
... upload my pack anywhere else (distribution is only made via this forum thread!)
... use any features I took from other texturepacks without the permission from the authors!
I've permission to use textures from the following texturepacks:
Misa's 64x64 Realistic Pack
Used parts: Water, lava and fire animations (downscaled, colors changed), rain and snow textures, HD water blur, the Minecraft logo, the XP/boss health bars, map icons, XP orbs, a tweaked version of the HD Wither painting, the explosion animation (downscaled from 4x to 2x resolution), the charged creeper and Wither armor animations.
>>> Forum Link
1) It's a crying face.
2) My signature says "Default edits make me cry"
3) It is a short way of saying that I dislike this pack.
Make sense now?
You're missing the point. No one saying they don't understand. The fact of the matter is it's a senseless, useless, unhelpful post.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why someone with a signature that says "Default edits make me cry" is on a thread for a default edit pack. Unless the aforementioned someone is just a trolling ****.
And to the naysayers. It's a brand new pack. Be patient, and show a little support. You'll never know what it can be if you try to shut it down right away.
Also, you should make armor, weapons/tools, and ores look different and random. All of the ores have the same shape (But Lapis and emerald if you count emerald yet) but they have different colors. So it would be cool if you made them 1 different shape for each ore. Same goes for the armor and weapons/tools. They all look the same but different color depending on what it is made out of. What I am saying is that a Diamond pickaxe and a Iron pickaxe shouldn't have the same exact shape. They should look different. Same for the other Armor and weapons/tools. Just a suggestion! I think people would like that and I would too.
I'm Having problems with your texture pack:
Mods loaded: 20
mod_keepInventory SSP 1.0
mod_InvTweaks 1.41b (1.2.4)
mod_ReiMinimap v3.2_04 [1.2.5]
mod_TooManyItems 1.2.5 2012-04-13
mod_airship Airships V2.5 for Post-Release: 1.2.3
mod_ingameInfo 1.2.5.g modified by bspkrs
mod_crystalWing 1.2.5.a updated by bspkrs
mod_floatingRuins 1.2.5.d modified by bspkrs
mod_treecapitator 1.2.5.h updated by bspkrs
mod_AS_BattleTowers 1.1.2 @ MC 1.2.5
mod_mocreatures v3.6.1 (MC 1.2.5)
mod_StatusEffectHUD v1.12 (1.2.5)
Minecraft has crashed!
Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.
--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 4eedfc74 --------
Generated 15/07/12 5:19 PM
Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5
OS: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1
Java: 1.7.0_03, Oracle Corporation
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
OpenGL: Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics version 3.0.0 - Build 184.108.40.2062, Intel
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT 55c526cd ----------
I'm sorry if this is not how I should be telling you.
On a side note: I love the texture pack! I have similar issues with misa's pack, but my computer doesn't like minecraft all that much so I don't often get texture packs... But now I'm rambling.