Starting July 30th, you will no longer be able to log in to a Curse account that was not merged with a Twitch account. If you have not yet merged your Curse account with a Twitch account, please do so here! Otherwise, your account and its content will be inaccessible.
What is that?
This resource upgrade for the default resource pack of Minecraft aims to improve the appearance of the game without the use of mods, while staying faithful to the general style of Minecraft. All features included in this resource pack work with vanilla Minecraft.
What are the main features of this pack?
It adds a bunch of improved textures (water, lava, fire and portal animations, several blocks and items, GUI elements, the sun, moon, paintings, armor, ...), some of them with increased resolution. It also adds a better readable HD in-game font, makes the dull biome colors a bit better to look at, tweaks several mobs and other entities, adds random terrain textures for more variety and 3D block and item models for some blocks and entities. Furthermore, it replaces the most annoying in-game sounds with improved or new ones. For a more detailed list of features, see below.
How do I install the pack?
Simply copy the whole "Better than Default" zip-file to the resource packs folder of Minecraft (un-zipping the file is not necessary).
Then start the game, open Options / Resource Packs, select "Better than Default", click "Done" and enjoy!
What about other texture features like connected textures?
Older versions of this pack (pre-1.9) supported a bunch of additional texture features like connected textures, custom colors, random mobs, better glass rendering and a custom HD skybox, which only work when using mods like MCPatcher or Optifine. Due to the (slowly) increasing amount of resource pack functionality in vanilla Minecraft as well as uncertainty about future updates for the required mods, those features are no longer kept in the pack and won't receive updates anymore.
I really like this. How can I support you ?
1. By reporting issues you found in the pack on this forum thread
2. By telling all your friends to use this
3. By adding the following banner code to your signature:
Update 2.3 available including following new features and changes:
Fixed a json syntax error of tall grass variant 3 in blockstates/tall_grass.json, causing this model to fail to load in case of stricter json parsing
Fixed compatibility issue in Minecraft 1.12 with blockstates using weight numbers (affecting grass and tall grass), now requiring stricter json syntax
Fixed tall grass not displaying its different texture variants in-game
Fixed cow/mooshroom udder being one pixel offset (analog to MC-5228)
Fixed broken elytra items still showing obsolete transparency
Fixed the central part of the beacon model being one pixel too tall and therefore showing offset side textures
Removed all wool textures from the pack because the new vanilla wool textures added in Minecraft 1.12 look good enough to keep them unchanged
Removed block and item models for beds because equivalent models have been added to the vanilla pack
Adjusted a few of the Shulker skin and Shulker Box colors to better fit the new wool block textures (kept default purple Shulkers unchanged to still match purpur blocks in End Cities)
Adjusted the yellow, red, light blue, lime and green stained glass colors to fit the new wool block textures
Changed the advancements GUI tabs to look the same as the creative GUI tabs, also tweaked the advancement labels a bit
Changed the adventure tab background of the avancements GUI to use the improved sandstone top texture
Changed the nether tab background of the avancements GUI to to show nether bricks instead of netherrack to give it less contrasts and make it better fit the other tab backgrounds
Changed the crafting GUI book icon hover effect to fit the other buttons in the pack
Several improvements to the crafting book GUI
Added improved pop-up notification windows (toasts)
List of implemented features:
● Adds better readable in-game font with 4x resolution
● Adds new SGA font to Enchantment GUI (doubled resolution)
● Adds high-resolution Minecraft and Minecraft Realms logos (4x resolution)
● Adds some new splash texts and removes boring ones (reduces overall amount to 100, resulting in a 1% probability)
● Changes HUD icons and bars to be in 8x resolution
● Changes in-game map icons to be in 4x resolution
● Adds better looking hover effect for menu buttons
● Adds better arrow buttons for resource pack and server lists
● Adds better looking pop-up notification windows
● Adds some improvements to the hotbar slots
● Gives the Beacon GUI a completely new appearance
● Adds some tweaks to the Crafting Book, Anvil, Enchantment Table, Trading, Brewing Stand, Horse and Creative inventory and Advancements GUI windows
● Adds a more natural looking sun (4x resolution) and moon (16x resolution)
● Adds new rain and snow particles (4x resolution)
● Adds a less dull color palette to grass and leaves
● Adds high-resolution water blur (4x resolution)
● Changes darkness blur to allow a slightly better view in dark areas and underwater
● Adds better looking textures for Ice, Glowstone, Magma Blocks, Cobwebs, small and giant Mushrooms, Ferns and Cacti as well as Birch, Acacia and Dark Oak Leaves
● Adds improvements to the Sandstone top textures and Snow to reduce lattice effects
● Adds new side textures for snowy Podzol and Mycelium blocks which actually fit the blocks
Building, Decoration, etc:
● Adds better looking textures for all types of Glass blocks and panes, Beacons, Iron Bars, Bricks, Pumpkin
Lanterns, TNT, Coal Blocks, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Red Nether Bricks, Brewing Stands, Iron and Oak Wood Doors and Trapdoors
● Re-adds the old, better looking Iron Blocks from Alpha/Beta
● Adds more crystalline-looking Diamond Blocks (similar to Emerald) and properly colored diamond corners to Enchantment Tables
● Adds better looking melon textures as well as proper bottom textures for pumpkins and melons
● Gives the last growth stages of wheat a more realistic color
● Improves the growth stages of Carrots, Potatoes and Beetroots to make them more distinctive
● Adds different textures for the moisture levels of farmland
● Adds different textures for the age levels of Chorus Flowers
Redstone: ● Slightly improves the appearance of Redstone Blocks and Wire
● Adds more useful textures for Repeaters, Comparators, Redstone Torches, Observers, Detector Rails and Tripwire
● Adds improved Dispenser and Dropper output textures
● Adds more useful, high-contrast Redstone Lamp
● Adds better looking animations for water, lava, fire and portals
● Adds fire and glowing animations to lit furnaces
● Adds red pulsing animation to Monster Spawners
● Adds tweaked, animated Command Block textures
● Adds bubble animations to bottles inside a Brewing Stand
● Improves to the Door, Trapdoor, Piston, Lever, Tripwire Hook, Comparator, Repeater and Cactus block models
● Adds new 3D block models for Sugar Canes, Furnace, Dispenser, Dropper, Jukebox, Observer, Daylight Sensor, Glass Panes, Iron Bars, Rails and Ladders
● Adds backface rendering for normal glass blocks, Beacons and Monster Spawners
● Randomizes the textures/block models of all stone types including their polished variants and Stone Slabs, all ores (including Quartz Ore), Dirt, Coarse Dirt, Grass, Mycelium, Podzol, Grass Paths, Gravel, Clay, Sand, Obsidian, all ice variants, mushroom cap blocks, Tall Grass, Dead Bushes, Cobwebs, Lily Pads, Lapis Lazuli Blocks, Soul Sand, Glowstone, Netherrack and Nether Wart Blocks, for more variety in-game and to reduce lattice effects
● Adds better looking items for Doors, Signs, Paintings, Glowstone Dust, Ender Eyes, Nether Stars, Splash Potions, XP Bottles, Compass, Clocks, Shears, Maps, Sugar Canes, Totems of Undying and Music Discs
● Improves the colors of all diamond and gold items
● Adds better looking armor and elytra items and fitting armor/shield inventory slot icons
● Centers all oddly placed items for a better appearance in inventories
● Adds 3D models for all block and entity items that don't show them by default
● Adds smooth dial/needle movement to clock/compass
● Adds animated XP orbs inside XP Bottles
● Slightly improves the bow texture and its pull animation
● Adds shields and shield overlay patterns with doubled resolution
● Adds better animations for charged Creepers and Wither Armor
● Adds new, less annoying weather sounds (rain and thunder)
● Adds a better explosion sound
● Improved portal, fire ignition, lavapop and water sounds
● Adds new bow shoot and bow hit sounds
● Drastically reduced the volume of the player attack sounds
● Re-adds the old, more funny cow sounds from Alpha/Beta
● Changes the headache-triggering bat squeaking to a more realistic, higher-pitched sound
More screenshots here:
3D items, better doors and trapdoors, more detailed Enchantment Books, cacti and cobwebs! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better sugar canes, smooth needle and dial movement for compass and clocks, better rain: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Better looking glass: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Slightly improved Redstone Wires, better Repeaters and high-contrast displays! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Comparison Default / Better than Default
Snow and ice revamped! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Enjoy Kristoffer Zetterstrand’s original artwork in 4x resolution!
Blowing up some houses is more fun now!
Better armor and random ores: Comparison Default / Better than Default
More natural-looking moon: Comparison Default / Better than Default
Also did some improvements to the End! Comparison Default / Better than Default
Even hell is better than default! Comparison Default / Better than Default
You can change or use the included features in any way you want, you don't have to ask me for permission. I'm OK with people using my pack to make texture presentation videos or even to make their own texture/resource packs, but please add a reference including my name and a link to my forum thread!
You're not allowed to ...
... make any money with anything containing my stuff! (no donations, no adf.ly links, ...)
... upload my pack anywhere else (distribution is only made via this forum thread!)
... use any features I took from other texturepacks without the permission from the authors!
I've permission to use textures from the following texturepacks:
Misa's 64x64 Realistic Pack
Used parts: Water, lava, fire and portal animations (downscaled, colors changed), rain and snow textures, HD water blur, the Minecraft logo, the XP/boss health bars, map icons, XP orbs, a tweaked version of the HD Wither painting, the explosion animation (downscaled from 4x to 2x resolution), the charged creeper and Wither armor animations.
>>> Forum Link
1) It's a crying face.
2) My signature says "Default edits make me cry"
3) It is a short way of saying that I dislike this pack.
Make sense now?
You're missing the point. No one saying they don't understand. The fact of the matter is it's a senseless, useless, unhelpful post.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is why someone with a signature that says "Default edits make me cry" is on a thread for a default edit pack. Unless the aforementioned someone is just a trolling ****.
And to the naysayers. It's a brand new pack. Be patient, and show a little support. You'll never know what it can be if you try to shut it down right away.