I've had some people ask me whether this will be free or not. I assure you it wil be completely free, without any "premium account" ****, and with no ads. I'll probably set up a donations button though.
Hi to everybody!
I've decided to start a Minecraft-related project: an Online map generator.
Basically, it will be a website where you specify the kind of map you want, and then it is generated, and your're given a download link which you can download to your computer or wget it into your server.
Everything online. No downloading and installing anything.
But I need suggestions to make it a successful generator.
What would you like to see in it?
Also, I need a name... A name that's not just "Online Map Generator" (BTW, the abbreviation would be OMG!)
(Sorry for my english, I'm spanish)
====== To-Do list
I'll update it as I get more suggestions.
- Ground generation (height map). Including beaches, oceans, plains, mountains: DONE
- More advanced land formation generation: Cliffs, etc: PARTIALLY DONE: Needs more tweaking and a lot more customization
- Trees / flowers / cactuses / decorations: DONE.
- Caves, ores: DONE
- Floating islands: COMING VERY SOON: I've already planned inside my head how to do them :sad.gif:
- Lakes, underground lakes.
- Waterfalls, rivers (I'm not sure how to do this, but i'd be very cool if done well)
- Pregenerated buildings / cities / dungeons.
I would love to see volcanoes and a option to make a flat map made out of whichever materials specified. I would also like to see flying islands, especially since I have run out of ideas for building spots. Be sure to add pre-made buildings, like the battle towers mod only without enemies and they don't have to be towers. I would love to see a city generator! I would name it Online MineCraft Map Generator. (OMMG. Haa)
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
"I don't care where Leonardo DaVinci got his materials, the Mona Lisa is still a legendary piece of art."
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've updated the first post :biggrin.gif:
As soon as I get it to generate "playable" maps this will go online.
More details about the online thing:
- It will be VPS hosted at http://omg.dirbaio.net
- You'll have to create an account
- When you generate a map, you'll get a direct download link to the generated map. (Probably it will be available for 24 h only, if not the HDD will get full :tongue.gif:)
- You'll be able to save your map settings on your account (Only the settings for the map generator, so if you like them you can generate more similar maps)
- Maybe share settings publicly by a link?
I'm not sure what will be the map size limitations, but probably they'll be good. Right now I'm able to generate a 30x30 chunk map in under 2 seconds.. (Only the base terrain, so I guess that when I add trees, caves, floating islands, etc, it will take much longer to generate...) As long as the server doesn't get overloaded, I'll set the max size as big as possible.
I want a map with pillars of earth and stone which ouch the sky, with floating islands between them, and an endless sea beneath. Though for now i just continously restart m game and try and find a map close enough for me to build something like my invisionment.
That logo is nice, yeah :smile.gif:
But the tool will be named Online Minecraft Generator, and it will be nice to have in BG something generated by it, but it's nice. I'll use that design :biggrin.gif:
Yeah, i'll upload some test maps sometime soon. I'm now working on getting good-looking trees, and nicely-distributed ores.
Everything in the map generator will be adjustable: amounts of ores, heights and probabilities of mountains, plains, oceans, tree types/sizes/amounts, etc etc.