Sounds good but needing clay to craft cobblestones is pointless and complicates a lot building some structures, plus making it boring... destroying rocks stones should drop rocks and you'd need them to craft cobblestones so you should destroy like 2 stones for 1 cobblestone.
Also, to have a harder early games you should make it impossible to destroy trees with bare hands
The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
I support the dont be able to break trees with bare hands part, but I'd take it to a different level.
I'd suggest in order to break a tree the player needs at least flint (as in, flint item to chop down the tree) OR has to craft a flint hatchet. This would include gravel in the list of blocks needed to get started, and would also add some realism as well. And instead of dropping whole wood blocks, what about making it drop wood pieces which can be crafted into plank items, of which you need 4 for a planks block. I'd suggest changing the workbench recipe to take 2 plank items (top row) and 2 sticks (bottom row) of the 2x2 grid. You might as well consider adding additional gui blocks, like a sewing bench to make advanced wooden items (probably even lock all additional wood crafting away into the sewing bench!), and based on that, also add a Stone Cutter for all stone related recipes (see pocket edition, I'd suggest you use that texture (but with the gears animated)), uh... and a toolbench for everything above that, iron, dia, gold... or alternatively a Smithing Anvil (you know, that thinner anvil type with a pointy end) ... If you need more ideas, feel free to send me a pm. I can also make some textures for you if you are interested.
I differ from Ivanovsky in opinion. I actually enjoy the fact I need clay to craft cobble. It honestly makes more sense to me. Basically all a cobblestone block would be is a bunch of stones stuck together with cement or clay or mud. Cobblestone itself is just stones. But to keep form it would need a binding agent.
I've been playing with the mod a lot this past week. Great work!
there are two things that can make a minecraft survival more challenging:
1) temperature (in dessert can make you hot, in winter can make you cold or freeze to death) this is something you already know.
2) thirst (in dessert, you will be sweating a lot so you will be thirst, you can make hot tea or coffee to help yourself warm up in winter)
a few information:
when you start a new survival world, you would try to do these in order:
1) breaking leaves from the trees to pick up sticks
2) looking for rocks scattered everywhere in forest or anywhere. so u can use these rocks to make a hatchet with sticks
3) without crafting table, you only can crafting 2x2 (while crafting table is 3x3).. so i would suggest using 2 stick and 1 rock to make hatchet
4) u got hatchet, u can use it to break the trees to get woods..
5)along with rocks u already pick up, you can make a campfire along with woods with (flint + stone) to ignite fire or you can use sticks to start fire as well.
6)using sticks and rocks to make knife to kill an animal for foods. (it can crafted in inventory craft 2x2 which you can use 1 stick and 1 rock)
7) since you killed one cows, you got leather and meats.. u can use leather to make a canteen, where you can go find a fresh river u can fill canteen
8) now from there, you can decided whatever you want to do.
one more thing to note: if you have difficult time trying to get leathers to make canteen, there is one feature you can add in the game, is that we can use our hands to drink water from the fresh river... to avoid being so thirst. but dont drink water from ocean.. u know ocean has salt.. of course. it can make your thirst worse.
i hope this could help you out improving your mod..