This mod has been merged with EnviroMine and will no longer be developed on this thread.
[MOD MERGED WITH ENVIROMINE]
I have always wanted that little bit more realism and excitement when it comes to mining without adding extra items or ores so I came up with an idea to make a mod that adds dangers to mining that are present in real life such as cave-ins, cave openings flooding when it rains and even slow suffocation from sulphurous fumes near lava. Not only does this make mining more dangerous but above ground structures need to be built with careful design and more than likely scaffolding. Mineshafts will need supports to prevent collapse, care must be taken when digging unstable ceilings and watch out for the unlikely event that the floor your standing on breaks off into a ravine.
What is planned so far:
([o] = Done, [/] = Partially Done, [x] = Incomplete, [-] = Removed)
- [o] Basic Physics
- [-] Flooding during storms
- [o] Suffocation
- [o] Torches need to be lit with a lighter
- [-] Coal may explode
- [o] Torches burn blocks
- [o] Radiant lava heat sets you alight
- [o] Torches burn out
- [o] Village Mineshaft
- [/] Additional block physics
- [x] Options menu
Follow me on Twitter for mod development details as well as other upcoming things: @Funwayguy
Latest Testing Version: Only client versions available
Download - Beta v0.6 (1.4.5) This is a preview of the mod and may contain bugs, post any issues you have.
Block physics already causes blocks to fall like sand when unstable. It works like this:
- When blocks are updated, they will check the surrounding blocks (including diagonally) for solid blocks.
- Block updating is also diagonal now
- If the number of missing neighbours are higher than the minimum threshold there is a chance they will fall
- The more missing neighbours there are the more likely it is to fall.
- If the number of missing blocks is higher than the maximum threshold then the block will fall
- Wooden blocks require more missing blocks than normal blocks and are therefore better for supports
- If the cave collapses ontop of you you will suffocate like you do in gravel and sand
- Yes triangle structures work better than square structures so triangle roofs will not require supports
- Glowstone acts as an anti-gravity block
So yes it is a good idea to put fence supports 3 blocks apart and should keep the roof stable.
Thanks for the suggestions. I might not make that upside-down gass thing but combining that idea with the coal seam explosion idea is somthing I will definitly consider. Ill make it work like so:
- Updating coal will check whether it is close (2 blocks) to a visible torch
- If the coal block in question is below about y: 45 there is a chance it will explode.
Im also considering some more features, tell me what you think.
- Torches will act like actual fire and set alight flammable blocks
- Redstone torch brightness will be increased so that they act as torches that don't burn blocks
- Blocks won't reset their damage when they are being dug out (breaking effect will stay after you stop digging).
PS: Im releasing a beta version of the block physics. Have a try and please posts any problems that it may have.
I tried it, and I have a few things to say. I think man-made blocks should have a harder time falling when connected to eachother. By chance, I mean you could have a rng choose 1 or 2 for some blocks, or, say, 1-4 for manmade blocks with the 1 being it falling. Also, if leaves fall, they revert to the oak leaf, even if they were jungle or pine. I assume this is the same for anything with a damage value, like wood or wool. Finally, it would be nice to have a weight/density factor, so the more blocks that are on top of one give it a higher chance of falling.
I thought I fixed the meta data glitch. Is the revert when it lands or only during its fall? There is a chance difference between blocks:
- Woods have the lowest chance
- Stones have a moderate chance
- Other have a high chance
I might divide the 'Other' category later on into more specific types but for now it seems sufficient.
Modloader doesn't seem to allow mods that edits the original files and instead only those that add new blocks/items/etc. As this mod only edits existing files for blocks and doesn't create any new ones it isn't compatible with modloader. If you can find a way around this I will very much like to hear about it.
Ok I've fixed the meta data glitch in Beta v0.2 and yes I know about it turning grey when it falls. I haven't been able to get the biome colour that blocks use to work on the falling block entity. I will update it when I get that done
I agree with ZorgKirill on both occasions, it just wouldn't be cold enough to freeze you and even if it could and I did set caves in snow biomes to deplete your health there would be no practical way to counter it. And yes I will make lava set the player on fire if they get too close even if they are suffocating in sulphurous fumes.
Just a note about sulphur fumes, the water breathing armour enchantment will counter it and allow you to walk near it (not too close as stated above).
I am still working on the ideas but have decided to wait till 1.3 to release them unless someone really needs it for 1.2.5. Im also considering some thoughts about the dangers around water tables and thinking of editing the generators to generate completely submerged caves. If you have any ideas on how this should work please let me know.