I have a concept for mod that combines 2 of my favourite mod types and tries to mitigate a major problem I have with one of them. These 2 types of mod are morph mods and science/genetics mods. This is a long concept explaination but please, bear with me and hear me out.
My concept is something I wasn't originally sure would even be possible. But, after looking at other mods and seeing what they contain, I found a combination of parts of these mods together would create my exact vision. So I have hope that it is something that would be possible.
But first, I want to state that problem I mentioned with morph mods before - They make survival WAY too easy.
So here is the base concept for the mod, starting now. I have ideas for things but no exact recipes in mind or anything, just keep that in mind. By using different pieces of machinery and scientific equipment, you would be able to extract the DNA of a mob. This would work similar to Genetics Reborn in that it would be for that specific variation of the mob e.g colour of sheep or type of villager/ baby villager (or zombie), there are many more examples but these are just a few. This would also include mobs from other mods however like in mods such as Metamorph only aspects such as size and health would be taken into account as it is impossible to find and replicate the exact abilities of any modded mob. This DNA extraction would not be as easy as a right click like in other similar mods however. The method is found below:
1. Craft a Stun Cannon. This is a weapon that does 10 damage and has a special effect when it kills a mob. they freeze in place and drop to the ground if they are in the air (without fall damage of course). This weapon would be powered with Electrolite, a new ore within the mod with a rarity similar to gold.
2. Once the mob is immobilised on the ground, use a Temporary Containment Cage by right clicking the mob with it. This has a durability bar that decreases over time with a mob inside it but gains durability whenever it's empty. However, it will still break if its durability reaches 0. If it breaks, the mob inside is released with full health. This durability is quite high but the rate of durability is dependent on the health of the mob contained within it. So if you're carrying, say, a bat, you'll have an easy time. But if you're carrying, say, the Ender Dragon, you basically have a ticking time bomb in your inventory and you might need to bring some equipment for some field experiments!
3. Take the TCC and right click on a Specialised Containment Field to keep the mob permanently immobilised above it. This of course means you need it in a large, open space for larger mobs.
4. Craft an Empty Tank and place it in the SCF. The SCF will need to be powered by any regular Minecraft fuel. Since the lowest amount of health for a Minecraft mob is 2, the tank would fill by 1 per 2 health the mob has which would also drain it from the mob. A part full tank of the EXACT SAME DNA can also be used. A tank is completely full at 200 units.
5. Place the tank and a Vial into a Dripper to get 1 vial of DNA
Yup, a lot of work. As it should be. Once that's done you put it in a Sythesiser with some fuel and you have one Shifter Vial. What that does is self explanatory, right click to drink, press a given button and you transform into the mob for a limited amount of time.
Now, after I've given this explaination to friends I always get the same 2 questions.
1. What about with bosses like the Ender Dragon that only spawn once, will you only ever have that limited amount of DNA?
2. Is there any way to get a permanent ability to transform?
And I'll answer them now:
1. No. There is a way to make more using something known as the Molecular Scanner. If you put a vial into this you can generate a random set of 3 extracts known as a Formula Page. Putting this Formula Page into an Artificial Centrifuge will save it as a recipe in the centrifuge's GUI that you can select later. How do you make these extracts? Well, each extract is, well, extracted from an item using, well, an Extractor. Don't worry, this item will be in the name of the extract. And these can be randomly selected from any random item in your game. Does it select an extract from an item hard or impossible to obtain in survival? Don't worry, items can also go into the Molecular Scanner to get an extract recipe. Though for items, this recipe is put into a Replicator instead of an Artificial Centrifuge. You can put the same thing into the Molecular Scanner to try and get a better recipe but beware, both the Artificial Centrifuge and the Replicator can only hold ONE RECIPE FOR THE SAME THING so be caeful and efficient with which ones you choose. 2 other notes, all of the machinery listed here runs on Minecraft fuel and this only details one of the 2 modes of the Molecular Scanner...
2. Yes! And it involves that 2nd MS mode I just mentioned! Put a vial in the MS after switching to it's second mode and it will generate a set of 5 extracts for you as a Formula Page. Then, put this in the Experimental Centrifuge and generate it. You'll get a Shifter Syringe. Inject yourself with this to gain the permanent ability to transform into that mob at will. At least until you use a different syringe or vial. That's right, you can only hold one shifter ability at a time. And yes, the syringe is one use so you have to make another to use it again.
There's also one more idea I'd like to go over. You can also take a tank and put it in the Genetic Splicer with eggs. This will deplete the tank by 20 per egg to create something that can spawn one of that mob that is loyal to you and would have similar behaviour to a wolf. Follows you, stays when you tell it and attacks hostile mobs or anything you attack.
So, what do you think? Any questions or anywhere it feels like something is missing just let me know. I hope for some feedback!