The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane. - Nikola Tesla
Afraid of the Dark is a new magic mod designed for Minecraft 1.8 featuring massive custom generated structures and a complete research system familiar to fans of Thaumcraft. The spell system is not yet available fully, but a preview is in version 1.1.4. Just check out "Enaria's Altar"!
- Bountiful bug fixes
- Enaria's inventory shuffle now swaps the current item you're holding with a random other item
- Added "Enaria's Altar" block
- Temporary model
- Allows you to access the spell system, but currently unobtainable in survival
- May corrupt your world if things go wrong, use at your own discretion
- I would not recommend use of this block unless you're in a testing world and want to try some spells
- The spell system has no progression system currently and is just barely "functional", so this is just for players wanting a sneak peek
- Added a new research achieved by using Enaria's Altar
- Enaria's spell FX work again (Actually all spell FX)
- Enaria found in the nightmare now ---- dun dun dun
- Player data no longer wiped upon transfer from the end to the overworld
- Void chest works in all dimensions except for the void chest and nightmare dimensions
- Mangrove wood added
- Will be used in future dungeons
- Textures are completely temporary (except for the mangrove logs)
- Saplings have a custom generation algorithm
- Star metal staff mechanics improved
- Star metal armor's absorption effect has been nerfed and can no longer be reset with milk
- Items with per item cooldowns fixed on servers
- Added "artwork" items which are currently unused but will be used in structure generation soon
- Added a new item called the "Schematic Generator" which is purely debug, but allows you to generate any schematic whenever you want. Because it's only for debug it has no creafting recipe.
Version 1.1.3 Hotfix 1:
- Turns out the spell system heavily modifies the vitae lantern. The vitae lantern research has been modified accordingly.
- Vitae disenchanter research has also been modified to account for vitae lantern changes.
- Vitae lantern GUI and mechanics have been significantly altered. The previous system is no more, and the lantern now functions as a battery. This change is because the majority of users found the vitae lantern difficult to understand and confusing. The vitae lantern GUI has been removed.
- Once again, please read the changelog for 1.1.3. This is not a
release version, but simply a beta for users wanting bugfixes for 1.1.2.
Version 1.1.3 (Beta)
- Implemented the new way of storing player data provided by MC forge. Because of this, all progress on AOTD will be reset if updating to this version.
- This is mostly just a release to try and solve some problems being reported on the forum.
Important: Once again, this jar has some textures and code regarding the magic 1.2 system in it. The features have been disabled (at least I think). Because it does have some of the magic system in it, this version may be somewhat unstable so I've marked it as a beta release. It is completely untested so far. The file size has increased because of many new textures that will come in the magic system.
Again, I'd highly recommend making a backup of your world before upgrading. =)
Version 1.1.2 (Beta)
- Updated to MC 1.8.9
- Replaced witherproof barrier blocks from the void chest generation with regular barrier blocks since they are now fixed.
Important: This version has some textures and code regarding the magic 1.2 system in it. The features have been disabled (at least I think) so this should be simply an update to 1.8.9. Because it does have some of the magic system in it, this version may be somewhat unstable so I've marked it as a beta release. It is completely untested so far.
I'd highly recommend making a backup of your world before upgrading.
- A hole found in the witherproof barrier blocks in the Void Chest was fixed - More config options were introduced, these include: * Printing debug messages (Not recommended, but if you like seeing every packet sent and received be my guest) * Disabling entity animations (All AOTD entities that is) * Enabling a new light algorithm in dungeons (This will decrease or remove lighting glitches in AOTD dungeons at the
slight cost of performance. This is not nearly as taxing as in AOTD 1.0 however) - A new command for OPs introduced, /AOTD printDungeons (Prints each dungeon location in the MC world) - Fixed flatworld crash - Various other small fixes and optimizations - The big one: The entire GUI system has been rewritten for AOTD GUIs ONLY: * GUIs should now automatically resize no matter what your screen resolution is. I'm ignoring the GUI scale MC
gives because it's a terrible way of doing things. The new GUI will be very useful when it comes to the next AOTD
update, 1.2 (Spellcrafting!). * Various GUIs are improved, most notably the journal page GUI. This page GUI now allows the hovering of items
to see what they are. * The page and other text-based GUIs should no longer have text hang off the edge of the page or end way short. - While there are not very many new features, 1.1.1 is mainly a core update that should help with the creation of 1.2. If any bugs are discovered, 1.1.2 will be released to stabilize 1.1 before 1.2 is released.
Version 1.1.0 - Flask of Souls item introduced - Werewolf blood item introduced - Added the splinter drone mob - Fixed a bug allowing for faster cooldowns on various items - Heavily nerfed loot in most dungeons - Fixed keepInventory bug with nightmare realm - World generation performance is SIGNIFICANTLY better, the nightmare island takes 3 seconds to generate on my computer at this point - Gnomish city dungeon created - Enaria boss introduced in the gnomish city dungeon - Cheat sheet implemented - Re-implemented the data storage system so all research will be reset, however should be much more stable. If you - want all the research, use the cheat sheet! - Added new configuration options to increase dungeon amount, biome ids, etc - Updated to forge 184.108.40.2063, you will need to go to this version! - Cleaned up and organized chat messages when incorrectly using items
- Dungeons no longer generate inside of each other
*Please note: as this is a new mod, bugs may still exist. Please backup all worlds every now and then. Do not hold us as the developer responsible for corrupted worlds.*
To begin, you will need to search for an Erie Forest biome. (see screenshots below) After searching this biome a little while, you should find a circular entrance on the surface made out of mossy cobblestone. Enter the crypt but beware... the loot will not be unprotected. Your main goal is to find a blood stained journal--a word of caution--signing this journal is not reversible. If you do sign this journal you will begin the mod and the journal will guide you.
The Minecraft Overlord Part 1 (v1.1.3):
GlitchReaper (Not purely AOTD, but shows the mod off well, v1.1.3):
The Technomancer (v1.0):
The "Deee Syft" mob:
A hint of mod structure gen:
A research system Thaumcraft players will be akin to:
A page of research:
A taste of what you can do with some later game researches:
Some more crazy world gen:
An "Erie" Biome (This is where you begin the mod!):
Awesome new armor and mobs:
Easy to use spell system that Ars Magica 2 fans will love (still WIP):
1) I have a great idea for this mod! Where do I suggest this?
Just post on to the forum. It's the easiest way for me to see. Most suggestions are welcome (even small interface ones) but please keep in mind, if your suggestion does not fit the style of the mod, (ex a flying car with pony sparkles and wings) please don't suggest it.
2) My game crashed! What do I do?
Read up on reporting bugs below.
3) When I click on the bed to get the nightmare research, my game freezes.
This is should be fixed now. Try updating to 1.1 and the teleport should take about 4 seconds, up to, I'd guess, 10 seconds.
4) Is this mod optifine compatable? As far as I can tell, yes. I have not had any issues with optifine so far. If you crash with it, please report that.
5) Is this mod compatible with X mod? Most likely yes. Again, if you have any problems with one mod just report it like any bug.
None so far.
6) Is there a 16x16 low-res edition of the mod?
Yes and no, while we have not made an official 16x16 texture pack for the mod, we have down scaled all the textures using photoshop. Personally, I think they look significantly worse than the original 64x64s, but if you feel that your computer's performance requires it then feel free to use it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwlaeajbv24dp3x/Afraid of the Dark 16x16.zip?dl=0
If you encounter a problem with the mod, whether it is a complete Minecraft crash or simply something you believe is incorrect behavior (An item not functioning or a visual GUI bug etc) please make sure you were using the latest version of the mod. If you were, report it in this format:
1) Explain what the bug is (please be detailed!) 2) Try to explain if at all possible how to reproduce the bug. 3) Please give a list of other mods you are using or mods that may have caused a conflict 4) If it was a Minecraft crash, a complete error report would be appreciated (in a spoiler or link form please)
Lead software developer: David_M1A2
Lead graphics designer, modeler, and tech tree design: Tagii
Special thanks to the guys at MCAnimator for allowing us to make epic models and animations! Thanks to Thaumcraft and Ars Magica 2 for inspiration for various parts of our mod!
You may use the mod in your own modpack, but please leave a comment in the forum saying which pack you are using it in.
Yeah just realized I left in a lot of the PSD (photoshop) files in the jar. My bad. I hope there's enough content for you! I can probably shave of a good 20mb by deleting temporary files. One image in particular (The telescope background) is 11mb or something like that because it's super high res.
Very cool mod! Good work! The best thing is - it's for 1.8!
Oh and about slow structure gen when right click a bed thingy - It's probably caused by lighting. There's setBlock method that accepts 2 more parameters. One being meta and another being flag. Changing this flag parameter from 3 to other one (can't remember which one exactly, but read the /***/ annotation and find one that does not cause lighting update) will speed this process up a lot...
Just played through the mod, impressive for such an early version. A few suggestions though, the huge numbers of potions in the small house where you get the cloak research is too many, it's OP. Also, the cloak has too long of a cooldown to be that useful, maybe about 3 seconds would be optimal. The ender dimension is great. Could you add a config option for non-HD textures for the blocks for people with bad computers?
Also, is their going to be a way to automate Vitai collection and pipe it around? And I did get the references by the way.