For older version downloads see the releases pages here
Why did I make it?
I loved 4poc's BBOutline mod but the only version I could get to work consistently was for Minecraft 1.6.4. This is fine if you want Nether Fortress bounding boxes but if you need witch huts the new block types can cause Minecraft 1.6.4 to crash horribly; and don't get me started on item frames crashing Minecraft 1.6.4!
In addition to this not working with newer worlds, the way it bounds villages lacks the finesse of KaboPC's VillageMarker mod, and any new structures introduced in Minecraft like Ocean Monuments are missing entirely.
What it does
This mod highlights in a variety of colours and styles the different structures & features of the game:-
Nether Fortresses; red boxes bound each individual area where Blaze, Wither Skeletons & normal Skeletons will spawn. Time for a beacon methinks!
Witch Huts; blue boxes reveal everywhere only witches spawn. Witch farm anyone?
Desert Temples; orange boxes envelop the pyramid and towers. Go grab some loot but beware TNT boobie traps!
Jungle Temples; green boxes surround the temple. Indianna Jones would've love these!
Ocean Monuments; cyan boxes indicate where guardians spawn. New sea lantern and prismarine block types FTW.
End Cities; magenta boxes show the rooms, corridors and air ships in the End. Time to fall with style!
Strongholds; yellow boxes show each room in the stronghold. Does anyone make anything with silverfish spawners?
Woodland Mansions; brown boxes show each room in the woodland mansion. Here's Johnny!
Mine Shafts; light gray boxes illustrate each of the mine shafts. Cobwebs... grrr!
Villages; multicoloured spheres encircle the village, with boxes marking if and where iron golems will spawn, and optional lines denoting each door in the village and it's centre. You should see the iron titan... CRAZY!
Slime chunks; bright green boxes highlight where slimes will spawn, with a dynamic box that rises to where the players feet are to help find them from the surface. Bouncy... bouncy...
World Spawn & spawn chunks; red boxes outline the world spawn and the spawn chunks (active & lazy)
Installing (Forge/LiteLoader Version)
Make sure you have Forge or LiteLoader installed then drop the mod file into the appropriate mods folder. [Forge Only] If you want to use client/server with your SMP server then make sure the mod is installed on both client and server.
Installing (Vanilla Version)
Copy this into the relevant jar file as per usual. When working with SMP servers you'll need to use the local dat files - see here
Press B, sit back and enjoy the goodness flowing onto your screen.
Press O to switch the "Display Outer Boxes Only" mode on and off, this will allow you to see the full boundary of Nether Fortresses, End Cities, Strongholds and Mineshafts.
Clear caches between sessions with an option to keep caches between sessions - handy if you wanna load up a copy world, cache the bounding boxes, then log into a vanilla server and still see the bounding boxes.
A modpack is a collection of mods that people distribute to players so that they can have a pre-made experience. Most people allow their mods to be in mod packs as long as they are given credit. If you would like to allow this then I will have a sample text that can be added to the post below:
trong>Modpack PolicyYou are allowed to use this in a mod pack as long as you give me credit and link back to this thread.
The local dat files feature was requested by masa on twitter; feel free to reach out with suggestions and if I think they are possible and beneficial for the masses I'll try and get the feature in there.
I've just uploaded a fresh copy of beta 7. Looks like users of java 6 or 7 were having issues with this mod... The rebuild of beta 7 has no new features so doesn't deserve a bump in the version number.
I'm currently redisigning my iron farms for 1.8, it should be easier with your mod. So I can report on villages behavior.
Here are some hints you could consider:
- colors randomly change when villages move on latest beta (doors added or removed), villages can be all the same color: I don't think this is an intended behavior !).
- golem spawn area is not always drawn or randomly disapears.
- I miss the links between doors of a village and most of all the village center is not drawn: this is the key point to most village dependent builds.
- villages are too slow to redraw.
- filling is solid, it should be alpha and the walls of the box only should be rendered, so you can see something from inside.
- an option to disable completly the sphere (or box) drawing of villages while keeping golem spawn area (and links) could be usefull for readability purposes.
- The color of the villages are reset every time the world render event occurs; the villages get given one of 6 colors in the order that they are provided by the dynamic village collection. In all the testing I've done the villages keep their color even when they move.
- Assuming the number of doors and villagers is met then the golem spawn are should be rendered - it surprises me that they disappear!
- I had never planned to recreate the full VillageMarker mod and had only gone for spherical villages to more accurately represent the "footprint" of the village. I'll look into drawing the village center and door lines although I'm not making any promises.
- Can you elaborate on this? Are you running on single player or SMP with forge on the server? Is it performance on the client or just takes a while to redraw when the villages are changed.
- Fill always was alpha - I've no idea when that changed so I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce/fix
- Not sure on this one - will consider it of course!