ID conflicts are supposed to be resolved by the user. That's why config files exist...
Yeah, I know that. What I'm saying is that the ID of Naquadah keeps jumping around. When I first ran it, it was fine, then it was pipes, now it's fine again. Even when there isin't a conflict the ID's still changed.
Works perfectly in Mystcraft, the stability issue was from an OLD OLD version of mystcraft (I've not used it in a while) seems the stability thing is now as you say, dependent on how you built the world.
Interesting point though about mystcraft, if you create a normal world jump into it then teleport yourself out back into the real world you can do something very interesting. If you have an old world or if your friend has a world that you really like you can copy the contents of that world folder (minus the player folder) and paste it into the mystcraft world folder that you've just created, you can now continue that world as a mystworld. Set up a stargate and you can travel there no problem, on my private server I've done this for every player connected to my server and we have our own worlds where we can do as we please. However I had to block up my stargate as my friend started to lead raiding parties as we also use the millenaire mod so he was bringing forces to attack my villages.
I might build a makeshift cannon and fire some TNT through the gate at his world but I am scared of blowing up my gate by accident.
As others have said this seems to work perfectly along with Mystcraft. My friends and I used to use enhanced portals but when I saw this mod the other day we switched over quick, fast, and in a hurry. I have only been experiencing one problem, which I saw someone else posted about but I never saw a resolution.
I also use Galacticraft, and SGCraft appears to be incompatible, dimension wise, with it. I launched myself to the moon, and while they setup a stargate. When I right clicked the gate to discover its address, instead of finding an address I saw a message saying that this dimension cannot be connected to the stargates (or something along those lines).
Has anyone figured out how to fix that (other than removing either mod).
Why don't you use the actual Stargate star constellation symbols instead of the incorrect Egyptian hieroglyphics? It's driving me nuts. I wouldn't be so opposed to using this mod if you got the little details right. It just seems lazy.
Constellations don't make sense. Their shapes only exist in the sky as seen from Earth, but the stargates were supposed to have been built by beings who originated somewhere else in the galaxy.
See the docs for my own version of the story, which I think makes a lot more sense than the official one.
Having said that, I'll probably provide an option for this in a future version.
No offense, but this is why I will never use this mod. Lack of respect (or even a basic understanding, apparently) of the official lore. But as LordFokas said, you're free to develop a mod however you wish and that's fine, but it isn't for me. :/ I guess that's why you call it Greg's SGCraft because it really is yours.
Although, I don't know why you didn't just change the name of the mod if you're not going to respect the official lore. You could just call it something different and then take all the liberties you like. That might actually be interesting.
Actually, the Ancients lived on Earth twice. The prototype gates had weird system, but the second generation, developed and built on earth, featured dialing symbols corresponding to the constellations as seen from Earth, which makes all the sense.
I stand corrected. I'm not intimately familiar with the lore beyond the first series, and it seems I made a mistaken assumption.
I'm still not sure it entirely makes sense, though. Constellations are arbitrary groupings of stars; it's unlikely that an independent civilisation would choose to group them in the same way as us. Or did we get our constellations from them?
Also, if the Ancients lived here for that long, why are stargates apparently the only artifacts they left behind?
I think Greg should share with us the vision he has for the mod, future features and changes. What the "final thing" will be.
I don't really know what the final thing will be. This is what my todo list looks like at the moment:
Make chunk loading range a config option.
Explosion damage config option.
Separate texture for event horizon.
Continuous event horizon sound.
Move naquadah slot into DHD.
IC2 power. Red clamps?
Emit redstone signal on activation.
Call forwarding device.
IC2 naquadah maceration?
I make no promise that all or any of these will get implemented, though.
Morgan La Fey was not an Ori. She was an ascended Ancient (Alteran) who once opposed Merlin's plan to help unascended beings like the rest of the ascended Ancients, but changed her mind and helped SG1.
Also, the constellation symbols on the Stargates are also a language that was spoken aloud by the Ancients. Each symbol corresponds to a syllable so that gate addresses can be spoken. Like "Tayonas Procklarush", which was an Ancient outpost where SG1 discovered a ZPM that they brought back to power the Ancient Chair in Antarctica.
Before I begin with my suggestions, Greg, I have to say that I really, really like what you've done thus far with the mod. I like your other mods too, Greg's Lighting in particular.
As for suggestions, I noticed your todo list in one your posts from a few days ago. I think just refining what you have so far is the best option for now.
- Powering a gate with red clamps sounds most excellent, but I would ask for Universal Electricity support as well, since I rarely use IC2. (Off-topic: UE support for your powered floodlights in Greg's Lighting would be sweet.)
- I know you've implemented one-way travel in your config. Additional options to kill players for entering 1) incoming wormholes, and 2) the backside of the stargate would allow for even more series-correctness.
- Ability to prevent a stargate from being successfully dialled by filling in the empty space in the middle with blocks. If you added an iris feature perhaps it could even work with this mechanic?
- The unstable vortex caused by the formation of the event horizon already kills entities in its way. Destroying blocks in the same fashion would be splendid too.
- Dialling procedure adjustments. Currently when an incorrect or inaccessible gate address is entered, the dialling failure happens instantly. It would be more faithful to the series to lock each of the first 6 chevrons, and then only fail on the final locking attempt if a gate doesn't exist or cannot be reached. This would allow for other interesting scenarios such as getting an incoming wormhole while dialling or conversely interrupting another gate's dialling sequence by connecting to it.
- Horizontal gates: Yes please
- Irises: Again, yes please (with GDO remotes of course)
- If you provide an option for a gate with constellations instead of hieroglyphs being able to use hieroglyph gates and constellation gates side-by-side would be very cool, and leads me to my next suggestion: Pegasus gates. Animation for these would be relatively easy as there's no mechanical rotation of an inner ring, just dot patterns of Pegasus constellations that light up for each chevron during dialling. Additionally, as an alternative to an iris, a forcefield. (With a system where placing blocks in the middle of the gate structure interferes with incoming wormholes, one might even be able to simulate a feature like this using MFFS.)
- The event horizon should be a light source, if possible.
- Additional chevrons in the dial sequence. I've no idea what a ninth chevron could do, but the extant incompatibility with Galacticraft dimensions could be solved (if it is an addressing problem anyway) by extending the addressing system to use an eighth chevron for reaching these dimensions.
I have a few other ideas, but I'll leave it at this for now. Thank you for doing what you've done so far with the mod, and I hope you'll take these ideas into consideration.
Hi. Could you maybe make some more things to go with this. For example, a dialing computer to be used at longer range than the dhd, an address recorder of some sort, maybe some alien weapons or worlds and ground/wall stands for the gate itself so it doesn't look like it is floating.