I was looking on the forums last month to see if this had already been done. It hadn't yet, and I started prototyping a quicksave mod. That failed and I forgot about it for a month. When I remembered, I started to work on a new one, since I deleted the source file of the old one. I thought about just keeping it to myself, but then I asked myself what harm could putting it up online possibly do?
-Allows you to quickly save and load using F6 and F7 respectively
-Doesn't allow you to quicksave in hardcore mode
-Quicksaves are deleted when you Save & Quit to the main menu
-Doesn't need modloader
-Allows you to create 5 different saves at once
I can't make it work. I have 1.2.5 and when I install the mod I get blackscreen.
EDIT: Nm, I just had to update my 1.2.5. Great mod, jcgurango! If you only knew how long I tried to do this and failed. I finally decided to just do it with AutoHotkey instead of editing the .jar. My script works but I don't like doing it that way... seems too much like a fix or a workaround.
Anyway, here's some feedback for your mods:
1. Name them separate names rather than separate versions, e.g. "Quicksave v1.0" and "Multi-Quicksave v1.0). They are 2 separate mods. Some people (like me) just want to use a single quicksave and would rather use a hotkey than a gui.
2. When using F7 to load the game, the screen message still says, "quicksaving... done." Not a huge deal, but if you could change or get rid of that message while it's loading it would be perfect, IMO.
3. Your multi-quicksave mod works great for an early version, but it could stand some "idiot-proofing" for people like me. It's not very intuitive as it is. If the user presses F7 more than once, there is a conflict and the game crashes. I would be more inclined to use that mod if it automatically quicksaved the games into 5 consecutive slots, just by pressing the F6 key (without exiting to the GUI). Then the F7 key should return only the latest quicksave. Finally, if the user isn't satisfied with the most recent save, a hotkey to open the save GUI (F?) would be nice. (I don't ask for much, do I?)
These are great mods and will be much appreciated by the community. Thanks for making and posting them!
Jcgurango, I hope you don't mind if I tweaked your original single quicksave mod slightly:
1. Fixed a small bug where it would break if a player installed the mod without having any games saved.
2. The game now autosaves at each session's entry point so the player can use F7 without having made any quicksaves.
3. You can now use F7 at the death screen to reload the game without having to click the respawn button.
Is this mod going to be updated to the latest version? The utility of this mod is huge, especially when you consider the implications regarding adventure maps. I'm surprised this thing doesn't have a bigger following.