I personally already find them creepy, but mostly annoying because they keep destroying stuff. Fighting them is one thing, cleaning up after them is another.
Here's my idea: have them completely unable to pick up blocks unprovoked, but once you aggro them they destroy any blocks between you and them with the speed of whatever diamond tool is appropriate for the block, and drops would drop accordingly; ie, chests would drop all their contents, redstone ore would drop the dust, etc. Leave the weakness to water but make them immune to sunlight. Perhaps you could also make them immune to lava and fire.
All Notch needs to do is think to himself, how can I make Enderman so scary I format my hard drive when I see one and then use the results to change them. This is the same man who made Minecraft, I believe he can do it :biggrin.gif:
A good buff for them would be nice, I was really disappointed once I started fighting them. I thought it was gonna be some kind of huge challenge to take on one, but they're no tougher than zombies. Plus that weakness to rain is a bit too much.
On a cosmetic note, I think the green eyes were slightly creepier than the pink ones.
I think it's the same for everyone, when you first encounter the Endermen they're freaky, but after you learn their weaknesses then they become less worrisome than Creepers, Skeletons, and Spiders. I think only the Zombie is less scary than the Endermen and I'm sure notch didn't intend it to be that way. Here are my suggestions on what I think notch should do to improve the Endermen:
1) New Sound - Something appropriately scary, possibly only when they first "see" you or when they're attacking. I think it would be interestng if they were quiet, like Creepers, but only while they're passive.
2) Increased Range - I was on top of a church (NPC village) and spotted some Endermen. I starred at them, but apparently they were too far away. I think there shouldn't be a limit to how far away they are to attract their attention when you look straight at them.
3) Sunlight/Water Weakness - I would remove both of these, I've killed lots of Endermen by luring them into the sunlight and then just having a starring contest with them. I always won by default. Now some people might not like the idea of Endermen being seen during the day, so one suggestion I have is when the Endermen are in bright light they turn invisible.
4) Waterwalking - Another user suggested this, and I agree, it would be cool if Endermen walked on water. It would certainly allow them to follow you out into the sea reducing chances you get an easy escape by boat.
5) Solo - I think there shouldn't be "packs" of Endermen, rather they should be solo and more uncommon.
6) Tougher/Stronger - The Endermen should be harder to kill and deal more damage when they hit. Players should become more worried about getting hit by the Endermen than being attacked at range by a Skeleton's arrows.
Also, a while back it was mentioned notch created the Endermen to move very quickly, but then he replaced that with the "look away" teleport. I think the teleport effect is still great, but when you attack them, like say with a bow, then they run in very fast to attack you. That, or immediately teleport behind you. That would also be freaky.
I think they should look for players and be able to open doors. That way when you wake up you could see an Enderman looking right at you.Also, they should give them there own sound and make them harder to find, because I dont think they are that rare, I blow up Minecraft's Edge for fun and there are Enderman there every night.
How's about this, ladies and gents... I see a lot of people saying that they should have creepy sound effects, etc, and a bunch suggesting Enderpacks.... MY suggestion: If you look at an Enderman or try attack it, it stares at you and shrieks. The shriek calls other Endermen. One from each of the other three directions. Then, no matter which one you stare at, there's always three more kicking your ass.