X trox, I'm a guy, and thank you. Hopefully I'm right about this... idk though. But also, you need to give it some thought about what is going on. Just because a chest is seen guys, doesn't mean thats the secret. Did he feel like putting a chest there? Do they spawn randomly in worlds now? I dont know that, and nor' does anyone else commenting. While everyone has been focusing on the chest, there could very well be another secret hidden in this picture. The only thing I can really think of is that chests would appear randomly now, but still, that is a guess, not knowledge.
I zoomed on the image in paint.net, and found this.
There were 2 things I saw.
1. The brown looking block, that definitely isn't a dead shrub. It's too square to be one, and looks similar to the corner of a chest.
2. I'm not sure if it's a graphical bug, but it looks as if that cactus has a branch.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death, Nor known to life
Have withstood pain to create many weapons
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works
AHA! I HAVE FOUND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT THE LEFTHANDEDNESS!
While the sand to the left of the chest may not connect right up against it, I have strained my brain and found the truth!
A block's texture side is made of 16x16 (at least sand's texture). If you count the pixels across on the picture, you can see 18+ pixels! This means that there must be at least two blocks next to the chest!
Its amazing what you can see if you take the time to slow down and calmly look at things.
The first one is the chest, of course; and my best guess for the second one would have to be left hand usage. It would make sense; the second feature was supposed to be difficult to find, not obvious like the chest or sunset. Thus, notch cleverly held a sand block in his left hand to make it almost unnoticeable in the midst of the desert biome.
Also, if you haven't noticed, there isn't much use for the secondary mouse button in minecraft, apart from eating food. Say, if you were to have a pickaxe in your right hand and a sword in your left, you could mine and defend without hassle. This makes sense to me, anyway.
1) It is NOT the bigger biome or the better lighting. He's already revealed this.
2) It is NOT left hand block holding. When you take down the hud you also can't see the items you hold.
Things we can assume:
1) Quicksand. He did talk about how the adventure update (or at least 1.8) is going to reward exploration. Which tells us that the changes are more in terrain than others. Not a placed block considering that the block doesn't overlap the chest in anyway.
2) The U.P.O. (Unidentified Placed Object) behind the cactus. Doesn't look to be like a chest. Or at least not one that we've come to see. Treasure chest? Furniture (chairs, etc)? Maybe a new terrain item?
3) Could be something that isn't physically view able. Like maybe better fog (since he announced taking away the f keybind to change fog)? Higher clouds? Maybe more transparent clouds (mainly for Fancy setting)? Could be anything really.