Hi I fired up the 0.14 update tonight on Windows 10 and tried to craft a map with 8 papers and a compass, but nothing was created. I thought the Redstone update (0.14) included map crafting. Anyone else have problems with this?
Thanks for the help. I created an empty map. I'm trying to combine with compass and tried several arrangements in the crafting table and in the "inventory" crafting area but still no map. Any particular locations for the empty map and compass?
Okay TSABER has the answer. I don't have experience with the Java version of Minecraft so looking at my map was never something I've ever done. An empty map is a map! Put it into my inventory bar, select it, and right-click. The map appears! Then using my compass (in inventory somewhere) will get me to where I want to go. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
The MCPE video above shows that to combine a map and a compass I need an anvil but this is not the case for MCWIN10. I guess in my haste I tried to combine an empty map and a compass in the crafting table but nothing worked. I think I needed to view the map first before trying to combine it to the compass was the key to getting my location to appear on the map. Thanks for your help!
I "edited" my post above after doing some more experimentation myself.
Cherry is right (again):
* 1 (filled) map + 1 compass does give you a map with marker/direction.
* 1 (filled) map (centered in crafting grid) + 8 paper zooms the map out twice as far.
* Each time you add a row of paper the map zooms out. You can therefore make up to 4 maps, each with a different zoom level.
* To make a filled map (from an Empty Map), highlight the Empty Map in your hotbar, then hit either Right Click your mouse or Left Trigger (if you're using a controller).
* If you move off the map, a white dot shows up on the map edge, but that only shows you what direction (not distance) you are from getting back to/on the map. The map points East (top of map = East). You need to do some mental gyrations to get back on the map. For instance, if your dot is on the top map edge, you need to head West to get back on the map. Don't rely on your compass. It doesn't work like a real one. It always points to your original spawn point no matter where you are. (Sheesh, why doesn't a compass have 2 needles? One that points to your spawn point, and one that always pointing North).
* Maps are oriented to the East, not North.
* No coordinates (like the console versions). Since F3 doesn't work (and phones/tablets don't have "F" keys anyway), there's no way to get your coordinates... that I've found... yet.
* You can't add your own marker(s) on a map, to mark your base or other interesting places.
* With no markers or coordinates, to me maps are only good for decoration to hang on the wall. (I still say build your base/home near the spawn point- that way a Compass will always get you back.)
I could not get this to work last night on WIN10. Am i missing something?
I was able to create an empty map. I initiated the map to see a map of my surroundings with no cursor. But when I tried to combine with a compass, I could not get the red "x" over the arrow to go away...
I tried both combos, map first then compass first. I tried to even change the name with both combos.
* Take your (basic) filled map (no marker). In your workbench, put the compass in the center square and that basic filled map in any outside square. You'll craft a new map, but (hovering your mouse over it) it'll say "Marker: Yes" instead of "Marker: No".
* If you want it to show more area (and less detail), expand it by taking that new map, put it in the center square of the workbench, then surround it with paper. You'll get a new, zoomed out map. The more times you do this, the further out it zooms.
* Oh, to convert a Empty Map to a Filled Map, see my post above.