Since I downloaded 1.8 passive mobs don't spawn anywhere near me, the last one i saw was a chicken mixed in with the normal aggressive mobs (the aggressive ones spawn fine) 3 days ago. Why is this? I go underground, i go mine somewhere else, cut down some trees, but there are simply NO PASSIVE MOBS :sad.gif:
* Passive mobs spawn when a new chunk generates.
* Passive mobs will seemingly disappear if you kill them all in a certain area, however, it has been tested that they will spawn at an extremely slow rate (every 400 ticks).
* Passive mobs are persistent (meaning they will not despawn if you leave the area)
* Passive mobs spawn only on grass blocks that are exposed directly to sunlight.
* Passive mobs spawn the most in grassland biomes.
* Passive mobs do NOT spawn in desert or ocean biomes. This is why island survival is vegetarian/cannibal mode.
I have the same problem. This means that I will never see passive mobs on my archipelago? :unsure.gif:
You'll probably never see critters spawn on your island. I would suggest finding a large continent and collecting chickens into a pen, use them to collect a stack or three of eggs, take the eggs back to your island home and start a chicken ranch in your basement. You'll get a chicken for every ~6 eggs you break. Keep at least 10-12 birds alive at all times for egg replenishment.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
More Ocean Life: Kelp, Coral, Crabs and Jellyfish; Coconut Palm trees for beaches and islands. Terrain Generation Changes: Which biomes and world-building features are most in need of change?
As it has been mentioned, animals no longer despawn. What this means is you can now make chicken farms without the worry of your chickens despawning on you. Find a nice farm design on YouTube, gather some eggs, and then start farming. Keep spending your eggs on new chickens until you have about ten or so. Once you do, you can start killing them off, and voila, chicken!