Why add it? Because it adds an ellement of danger, survival, and risk.
You know what would also add danger, survival and risk to the game? If your buildings began to fall apart after a couple days and you had to keep rebuilding them so that monsters didn't get in. That would add plenty of danger, survival and risk to the game, and be so much fun to have to deal with.
Actually, notch is going to add block breaking monsters at some point.
Now stop bitching already and go back to creative if you can't handle a little challenge.
Here, how's about this.
Go out to your base, knock down every torch on your base. Every single one you see. All of them.
Then put them all back up.
Then tell us all how fun that is.
And if you don't like that, go play on creative.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
In the beginning, Notch created the Nether and the Earth, and in it he made a man of sand and called him Steve. Notch made Steve strong so that he may punch wood, and lo, Steve was to have dominion over all square things.
Yeah, because adjusting 5 pages of switches before playing a game is also so much fun.
Eh, no. New switches aren't really needed. Just need to focus on what kind of game it should be, and how to get there - and how to get there in a way that doesn't make the game a chore.
He doesn't really need to make torches temporary in order to make the game more challenging - new monsters and new environmental hazards could also do that. Why so much emphasis on temporary torches?
It would be a SINGLE option in the options menu. Like the graphics option, or the difficulty.
If you really will be stricken down by a single new button, have it tied into difficulty. Easy and peacefull have infi-torches, normal has non-infi torches and hard has short-lasting infi-torches.
Or better yet, just stick it in the rumoured "realism" mode thats supposed to be an evenual add.
CraftMine is a diverse game, and part of the fun is it can be played in many different ways. Making this optional keeps that variety.
Why so much emphasis? It's simply a discussion, like many others. It's one of the factors that people seem to want.
But is CraftMine a typical game? Just because it deviates, does not mean it's bad.
This is a sandboxy game, with some tweakable options. I mean, the entire game changes if you play on peacefull compared to easy. I see not a single problem with integrating the lamps into difficulty.
Sure, it's not the only rumour, but it's even been in an update plan, it's decently official.
We decide based upon common sense what deserves a switch. That's the way I always do it.
I'm not dodging any questions, it's simply how I do things. If you want me to be more rigid, just say so.
Well, yes. I'm all of these to avoid a difficult questions, but they're not unsolvable, just a ***** to get through, simply because they're all opinion, and arguments about opinion never win the other side over.
How do we decide what deserves a switch? Good god, I don't know. Major gameplay changes, I say, anything that changes stats, or item efficiency or effects. I generally judge things on the fly, I'm rubbish at grouping things. However, I know that THIS is different, because it's an official topic. It IS happening (probs), and we're just hashing out how we think it should go.
There is a good reason to keep minecraft on the aytipical side of things, and that's because it's how people seem to like it. What's most popular sells. There's also always room for experimenting in Alpha.
But I think we can agree that IF it is implemented as a simple on/off switch, or even integrated with the difficulty, it's going to work for most people. Right?
I'm not dodging any questions, it's simply how I do things.
Well, yes. I'm all of these to avoid a difficult questions.
I'd try to avoid such self-contradictions in future, not trying to be rude here.
Quote from Gremlinator »
How do we decide what deserves a switch? Good god, I don't know. Major gameplay changes, I say, anything that changes stats, or item efficiency or effects.
I disagree, you paid money to play Notch's game; if you wanna fiddle with the gameplay options make your own game or mod it. The only thing I want to have switches are the graphics options and the difficulty options.
I also disagree with segregating features between difficulties any further than monsters (i.e. peaceful has no monsters, the others do).
Survival isn't alway heroic mass murdering of creepers and what have you, surviving does include mundane tasks like watching stupid wheat grow so cows don't trample it because you haven't finished installing fences yet.
I'm sure surviving would include relighting torches (if you had them).
The most magic thing about this game is that it happened, so don't question it so much and just appreciate it.
Read basically all of page 1 and so far I'm catching the same information as normal. One not bothered by relighting, another that is because it's tedious. Give Notch time, if 90% want the challenge, the other 10% are kinda' stuck living with it... the same with the other way around, if 90% hate the torch expiration, the 10% that do get to play it that way.
The only thing I can think of / agree with so far is the toggle option is there, but I don't think it should be a complete off function. Here's a brief example of what I mean... don't follow the values directly, examples are examples.
- Hard - 3 Day Light Timer
- Normal - 7 Days Timer
- Easy - 14 Days
- Peaceful - Non-Expiring (Lighting only obviously since mobs would be off).
Secondly I'd say it'd be nice if notch added some type of additional wiring block we could make out of iron or something where we could run electricity down the line and it'll light up any torch on it for the lighting duration... or maybe something with gunpowder being placed between to allow for some type of long-term lighting path.
Just light up the first Gunpowder and it'll trigger them all on. Idk... just suggestions in case anyone wants to think more in depth and throw it in the suggestions area directly. I agree with both sides ultimately. It does feel very easy-mode right now with the entire world being lit up and I can cave dive and just spam torches everywhere until the cave turns into a new basement.
While at the same time it would be a bit of a pain to spend resources on coal and iron to relight a torch over and over. Eventually it feels like I'd have to go on some pretty adventurous searches for iron to keep on making flints in the long-run.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
$15: 1 GB RAM, Windows 2008, SolusVM with VNC. 14 Months+ Customer. ThrustVPS! I've tried Burst and HazeNET in the past and it was no comparison...
I'm sorry people but I feel like I'm dying by the fact none of you realise...
that we already have lanterns. Jack-O-Lanterns, with a torch and a pumpkin which aren't that rare could be a minor lantern that we use before we get the probably better looking one.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Quote from MichaeljMM79 »
Talent didn't go anywhere, it just gets lost in all the noise. You have to find it.
:tongue.gif: not a valid suggestion. This is just out two(thousand) cents on how it should work.
I'm just sticking to a toggle button. I've boiled it down to that, and it'd would please almost everyone.
Nothing else to say.