Here's a list of ways on how to improve your survival percentage in the nether from 1 to 100%
Step one: Turn on peaceful mode
Step two: Use an inventory editor to make your armor invincible.
Here's how to improve your chances without turning on peaceful mode or cheating (But the % goes up only 2%)
1. Ghasts: Ghasts are the creepers close relative and should not be messed with. However, if you run into one, here's what to do: Run forward! As of the last time I went to the nether, ghasts OVERshoot their intended targets. Therefor, your best bet is to run forward. Never run towards your portal UNLESS you have flint and steel (you should keep this with you anyway) as ghasts can put out your portal. Never stick around to long, either. Ghasts will swarm and by the time there's more then 3 your kinda screwed. If you cannot dodge the shot, or want to live life on the edge (your already doing that by going to the nether),return the favor by hitting the Ghast's shot with a sword. This will cause the shot to go flying back.
2. Pigmen: These are relativity harmless creatures at first, but don't let them fool you. If you even accidentally hit a pigman, the entire group seems to multiply and swarm you. Survival rate is around 0%. If you really need meat though, they will drop cooked hamburgers. (But why are you eating zombie meat? Isn't that their job?)
Post your tactics on surviving the nether below!
The: Learn-from-lots-of-mistakes method gave me these strategies:
1. Before entering your happily lit portal, bring over 300 cobblestone, 9 stone pickaxes, your best armor, and alot of food.
2. If you are unfortunate like me to exit in midair, surrounded by ghasts, exit the portal immediately.
2.5. Instead of reentering, dismantle the portal and reopen it by chipping out a piece of obsidian, or by blowing it up or something :smile.gif: hopefully you'll teleport somewhere else. More portals open up as you dismantle/reignite them (but you have to enter them for the portals to spawn!).
3. When you find a secure position, immediately throw cobblestone everywhere around you and around your portal.
4. After that it's pretty much fortify your portals so you can send in cobblestone and supplies to expand your bloodstone, slowmud, and lightstone supply. Oh, and endless supply of lava!
5. Ghasts can and will shoot a lucky shot from an angle you cannot see and you will be blasted into the lava. Good luck!