Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Hostile Mobs Opening Doors

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

doggant29
  • Minecraft: Beu_

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Okay, so I think that they should implement the door-opening AI that the villagers have recently received with hostile mobs. I mean, once you light up your base and put a few doors, it's practically impossible to be killed. At least from within your base. I think if skeletons and zombies and such could open doors to get to you, it would make traps much more useful and add a challenging new aspect of survival.

Register or log in to remove.

Hybran
    Hybran

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3661 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

View Postdoggant29, on 04 February 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

Okay, so I think that they should implement the door-opening AI that the villagers have recently received with hostile mobs. I mean, once you light up your base and put a few doors, it's practically impossible to be killed. At least from within your base. I think if skeletons and zombies and such could open doors to get to you, it would make traps much more useful and add a challenging new aspect of survival.

nope

It's really impractical for the average minecrafter. You could just make a dirt wall or a button powered iron door. So, that feature is down the drain.

NEXT

Posted Image

Leosanims Studios

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostHybran, on 04 February 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

nope

It's really impractical for the average minecrafter. You could just make a dirt wall or a button powered iron door. So, that feature is down the drain.

NEXT

Yes, the same way we can do the same but even with a wooden door.

This idea would make Iron Doors important in survival. I only use iron doors in creative maps because of decoration, because im the only one able to open doors, why would i need a lever or something to protect my house.

If the idea gets added Iron doors would be more popular between survival players as they would have an use.

Its not like some wooden door could stop a zombie anyways.

alex_sanchez508
  • Minecraft: alex_sanchez508

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

I really like this idea. Have it as part of the Hard difficulty? Seriously, they need to add more features to Hard. Its HARDly different from normal. (see what I did there?)

assassin10

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

The people will just replace their doors with something else... like a dirt block.

You aren't increasing difficulty, you are decreasing creativity.
The Sun rises in the North!
Now these points of data make a beautiful line...

Zorg
    Zorg

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

In terraria (where mobs can open de thoors) players simply put a dirt block behind the door and nobody can enter or leave.

Stapledon

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I agree with it being a feature on Hard difficulty, there's really not that much that's "hard" about it right now.

If you're the kind of person that would use a dirt block to stop mobs then you simply wouldn't play on hard.

Homem Pigman

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yes, but only for Hardcore mode. Not even Hard, just Hardcore.

Posted Image

nick4din

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

As cool as it may sound, it won't work for the more experienced minecraft player.

Doors can be opened? Make a piston door(from stones ex, no real door) which you can force lock from the inside. Nothing's changed.

And that is just an example.

Posted Image

TheEvilMushroom
  • Minecraft: Morlocke50

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Then why not make it an option?
You know what amazes me about this board is that everyone here wants new features and such, but naturally there will be people to disagree. That's life, and that's okay. But instead of arguing on features as little as this, why not just make it an option? When you create a world, you choose the difficulty settings there, such as what the mobs can do, how hard they are, or whatever suggestions/ideas end up being added.

Just my two cents, and yes I think mobs being granted the ability to open doors would be pretty cool, I'd take that.

And yes I realize there's not much arguing in this topic, this for in general :P

flazooni

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

creepers would also explode if detected a door that isnt genereated

ZeroKelvin

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

No, this is really easily fixed by players placing a block in front of their doors. No problem, just inconvenience.

jonrox
    jonrox

Carpenter

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Why not just leave your doors open?

Sven_The_Slayer

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

It would be acceptable for zombies to open wooden doors but only if they did so by pounding on them for a while.  The door should at least slow them down.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Playing Minecraft since [Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:20:21 PM] (First indev world save)

Koadmaster
    Koadmaster

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Minecraft: KoditheMaster

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

The problem with this is that it makes wooden doors pointless, so no one would build them, so it wouldn't make anything harder.
-Just Saying-
Posted Image

Leosanims Studios

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostKoadmaster, on 04 February 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

The problem with this is that it makes wooden doors pointless, so no one would build them, so it wouldn't make anything harder.
-Just Saying-

The same way diamond makes iron pointless for tools, iron makes stone pointless for tools, stone makes wood pointless for tools, etc.

The Iron door is supposed to be an upgrade, but now the only thing different is that you need a lever or button to open it...

Players in new worlds would of course use wooden doors because th eiron they get would be more important for tools or other materials.

But once they make progress and their material stock gets bigger they can use that iron to upgrade their house protection with iron.

The same way you start with a wooden pickaxe, and end with an enchantment diamond pickaxe...

But at the moment, iron doors are just a waste of iron.

Murderer100
  • Minecraft: Murderer100

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

View Postalex_sanchez508, on 04 February 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

I really like this idea. Have it as part of the Hard difficulty? Seriously, they need to add more features to Hard. Its HARDly different from normal. (see what I did there?)

How about Difficulty: EXTREME?

QUESTIONABLE QUESTIONS BELOW!

(More Coming)

Spoiler:

KowaretaTamashi
  • Minecraft: TheFirstGun

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

You could easy make a piston door... Or a floating house... Then they cant go in. Also people would complain when a zombie opens the door when your trying to sleep then a creeper comes in and blow up your enchantment table + chest full of diamonds.
Posted Image

bluevein
    bluevein

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Actually I don't mind this idea. But it would need limits.
Lets say for example that only Zombies can open doors. This seems like the best option to me because creepers getting into your house (unaided) would be a little too damaging to be fun. Skeletons with their new pathing are already scary enough when you are fleeing on low health.

The AI would also be a limit. Zombies would only want to open a door if it is blocking a path to a current target. They would have no interest in doors when they are not chasing prey. This combined with the fact that enemies can't detect you thru walls would be quite balancing. The only ways a zombie would decide to open a door was if he saw you go thru it (so your last known location is the block of or after the door itself, or if you have holes in your walls or they see you on a roof or balcony, or in a back yard in which the shortest path is thru the house. In all other circumstances they would never open doors and you would never be at risk of them entering your house unprovoked.

We are living in an iron age now, there is tonnes and tonnes of iron and currently very few reasons to build iron doors. I don't mind the idea of using wooded doors for line of sight blocking/asthetics and iron doors for security.

This seems like it would add a lot to the game and not have as big an impact on difficulty as you might think at first glance.
Also, Stanley is addicted to drugs and hookers.

Stapledon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostZeroKelvin, on 04 February 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

No, this is really easily fixed by players placing a block in front of their doors. No problem, just inconvenience.

Not everyone will do that though, only the people that complain about changes will do that. For a lot of players, creating a safe house that's also aesthetically pleasing is a core part of the game. If people just want to be safe and nothing more, why not just build yourself an obsidian room and call it quits?