Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How far do hostile mobs have to fall to be one hit kill?


  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1

Byrd
    Byrd

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location: Missouri
  • Minecraft: IByrdl

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm making a hostile mob system, but I wan't it to be an xp farm. Because I can't find any abandoned mineshafts near my island, I figured I'd just build an underground system, then take them up high and drop them.

I've looked around but can't find the exact number of blocks to drop them.

I'd like to make it piston operated so that I can have them just fall to their death and give drops if I don't currently need the xp

Would this idea even work, or would they end up despawning if I took them up high enough for the drop?

EDIT: Alright confirmed, Creepers/Skeletons fall 23 blocks and are 1 punch, Zombies are 2 punch b/c of armor, and spiders are 18 blocks for one punch. Thanks for the advice everyone!

However I'm not sure about the despawning portion. I'll find out soon enough

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Kamberli
  • Location: Switzerland
  • Minecraft: Kamberli

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

as far as i know skelets and zombies are 23 blocks
and cave spiders are 15
but the rest idk

#3

AbeTheBlackFox
  • Location: Looking for a server that doesn't fail.
  • Minecraft: AbeTheBlackFox

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

23 blocks? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
I've seen hostiles fall down a ravine and survive! -_-

To get them to die on impact, you're building a fall essentially from the top to the bottom of the world. That's a garaunteed kill. B)

Want to know more about me? Read my detailed "About Me" to find out.


#4

cecilexplodes
  • Location: tn
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

As I type this, I have zombies falling out of a hole in the roof 23 blocks.  Some of them still die when they land, but most don't.  It is impossible to actually be able to one hit with a fist the zombies anyways because they have armor points.

#5

Byrd
    Byrd

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location: Missouri
  • Minecraft: IByrdl

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostKamberli, on 02 February 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

as far as i know skelets and zombies are 23 blocks
and cave spiders are 15
but the rest idk

oh wow, I didn't know they had different amounts of health. that could certainly complicate things

View PostAbeTheBlackFox, on 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

23 blocks? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
I've seen hostiles fall down a ravine and survive! -_-

To get them to die on impact, you're building a fall essentially from the top to the bottom of the world. That's a garaunteed kill. B)

I'm not trying to kill them 100% of the time, I am looking for a 1 block difference between severe damage and death, that way I can use them for xp

#6

cecilexplodes
  • Location: tn
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostByrd, on 02 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

oh wow, I didn't know they had different amounts of health. that could certainly complicate things



I'm not trying to kill them 100% of the time, I am looking for a 1 block difference between severe damage and death, that way I can use them for xp


For zombies it is 23 and 24. 23 blocks to one hit with an iron sword, 24 to kill.  I spent all night figuring that out.

#7

Kamberli
  • Location: Switzerland
  • Minecraft: Kamberli

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostAbeTheBlackFox, on 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

23 blocks? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
I've seen hostiles fall down a ravine and survive! -_-

To get them to die on impact, you're building a fall essentially from the top to the bottom of the world. That's a garaunteed kill. B)

from 24 blocks it's an instant kill... any mob and also player whit no armour..
raviens are most the time not taller then 20 blocks
so... what a surprise!

#8

Byrd
    Byrd

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location: Missouri
  • Minecraft: IByrdl

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postcecilhowe, on 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

As I type this, I have zombies falling out of a hole in the roof 23 blocks.  Some of them still die when they land, but most don't.  It is impossible to actually be able to one hit with a fist the zombies anyways because they have armor points.

If I've figured this out correctly, you just take the health points of the mob and add 3 to find out the kill distance?

According to wiki, Zombie, Skeleton, and Creeper all have 20 health points and Spiders have 16.

If I were to use a separator I could then have the spiders fall 18/19 blocks for severe damage/death and the others 22/23 blocks?

#9

Kamberli
  • Location: Switzerland
  • Minecraft: Kamberli

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostByrd, on 02 February 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

If I've figured this out correctly, you just take the health points of the mob and add 3 to find out the kill distance?

According to wiki, Zombie, Skeleton, and Creeper all have 20 health points and Spiders have 16.

If I were to use a separator I could then have the spiders fall 18/19 blocks for severe damage/death and the others 22/23 blocks?

try it..(creativ/spawnegs)

#10

AbeTheBlackFox
  • Location: Looking for a server that doesn't fail.
  • Minecraft: AbeTheBlackFox

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well, then this comes down to trial and error.
Consult the health points detailed in the Minecraft Wiki for each individual mob you want to kill.
Now here's the tricky part. You dig a 2x1 hole and you make it deep enough to drop your health down to the damage equivalent of what the hostiles have when you fall unarmoured, without jumping. (Build a ladder in one end of the hole so you can get back up.)

Eg. Creepers have 10 hearts, so you want a drop that takes 9.5 hearts.

Want to know more about me? Read my detailed "About Me" to find out.


#11

Byrd
    Byrd

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Location: Missouri
  • Minecraft: IByrdl

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Alright confirmed, Creepers/Skeletons fall 23 blocks and are 1 punch, Zombies are 2 punch b/c of armor, and spiders are 18 blocks for one punch. Thanks for the advice everyone!

#12

arsonwelles
  • Location: in the 5th dimension, beyond that of which is known to man
  • Minecraft: arsonwelles

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Most hostile mobs have 10 hearts of life. The first three blocks down don't take damage, and every block past that is half a heart. So an equation for calculating damage in hearts should look like this:

2X+3

Where X is the number of hearts.
Posted Image

#13

horaholic

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

View Postarsonwelles, on 02 February 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Most hostile mobs have 10 hearts of life. The first three blocks down don't take damage, and every block past that is half a heart. So an equation for calculating damage in hearts should look like this:

2X+3

Where X is the number of hearts.

First of all, he's already figured out the math, so you're being redundant. Second of all, zombies have an armor point you have to get through, so there is no 'one hit kill' for zombies. I've even tried mounting a cactus inside the drop tube, but it didnt work. Make them drop 23 blocks, and hit the zombies twice, or use a sword.

#14

TheCakeisAlive

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Posthoraholic, on 02 February 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

First of all, he's already figured out the math, so you're being redundant. Second of all, zombies have an armor point you have to get through, so there is no 'one hit kill' for zombies. I've even tried mounting a cactus inside the drop tube, but it didnt work. Make them drop 23 blocks, and hit the zombies twice, or use a sword.

Half slab or fence post at the bottom might work - 23 and 1/2 squares. I know damage is calculated by half squares. Need to test that myself I think :)
Cakes can always be trusted. *Nodnod* If you're gullible...- Said HunterEris

Please only + me if I post something funny or informative.

I want to earn em, after all :)


#15

Pre_Purchased
  • Location: Australia
  • Minecraft: Pre_Purchased

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

23 blocks vertically.
If I have helped you, would you mind pressing the ( + ) button on my comment.  Also make sure to reply to my comment so I get the message.  Thanks!

#16

EpicM1ner
  • Location: Probably somewhere...
  • Minecraft: ev9000

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

with skeletons the least you can get them is 2 hits & that's falling 22 blocks.
"...but then I took an arrow in the knee"

#17

Boundegar
    Boundegar

    Blaze Extinguisher

  • Members
  • 4820 posts
  • Location: Neptune

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

View Postcecilhowe, on 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Some of them still die when they land, but most don't.
The ones who die on impact are probably jumping before they fall.  Placing a block in the way can prevent that.

#18

Ronar1
    Ronar1

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • Location: End
  • Minecraft: Ronar1

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

Perhaps you are washing them down with a water stream so they are slightly higher than they should be.

3DS FC: 3540 - 0163 - 8988
My friend safari is water, PM me and I'll add you!

#19

Shadow101720

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well, this has all helped me. I am doing a single player, no cheats, and found a zombie spawner. i thought it was 24 blocks, but wanted to check to make sure. Thanks guys!

#20

Faction_ShocK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thank you also i found a skeleton spawner and was hoping to find this informatio so i thank you