• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Run the same Minecraft Server from 2 different computers.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

MrAjChavez91
  • Minecraft: ajchavez91

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hello guys, i've recently got interested in creating a server with a friend of mine, and i've come to a big interrogant: Can we run the same server from our computers? not at the same time obviously, the deal is that we're not always at home, so if his computer's the server and he's not home and i wanna play, i can't, as hen doesn't leave the computer on for so long, and the same goes for him if i'm not home.

So i need to know if we can run the exact same server from our own computers and play so we don't depend on the other person opening the server?

EDIT: The server's intended to be online, not local.

EDIT2: Thanks to Dasoren for the idea of using dropbox, i found a guide here on the forums for a server using minecraft, so that anyone can run the server. the guide is here: http://db.tt/EkDhgi8J

Edited by MrAjChavez91, 01 February 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

TRGWII
    TRGWII

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Is this server intended to be online or just local?

MrAjChavez91

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostTRGWII, on 31 January 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Is this server intended to be online or just local?
it is meant to be online. i'll add that right now to the question. thank you :)

Posted Image

Stonerman

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

They'll be different worlds, when you start the server on your computer you'll create a world, and when you shut it down it will be saved.
If he later starts the server at his end all the files will be saved locally on his machine, even if it was the same world to begin with all the changes he's made won't be transmitted to your machine, and vice versa. So when you started the server from your machine again and he joined, you'll both be in "your" world, and if he hosted you'll both be in "his" world.

I guess you could send the world files to each other every time you logged in by yourself, but that'll become old fast I'd presume

jefe
    jefe

Creamymin

• Forum Admin
  • 16131 posts
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Not easily.  It would probably be easier to purchase professional hosting (for two people you can get it for ~$5 a month)

MrAjChavez91

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

dam :( i really wanted to do it without having to pay :( looks like were gonna have to stick to 1 host only... thanks guys :)

Posted Image

dasoren
    dasoren

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Minecraft: dasoren

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostMrAjChavez91, on 31 January 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

dam :( i really wanted to do it without having to pay :( looks like were gonna have to stick to 1 host only... thanks guys :)

WHAT!!!! None of you guy know how to do this? ...... Well I do thankfully. Use Dropbox. and just run the game from the dropbox folder, and when stop the server and your friend can then start the server and play.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, (cant say this enuf) DO NOT run the server on both computers at the sametime, IT WILL KILL THE WORDFILES, only one(1) pc can host the server at a time doing this way, and the files can not be bigger then 2GB. as bropbox only has 2GB HHD. but it works it you want to use it.

If you would like me to help you, Join mcr.dasoren.com (its a TeamSpeak3 server) and I could help you.

Leckoren Servers

TeamSpeak3 Server: Leckoren.com Join us

Stonerman

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

View Postdasoren, on 01 February 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Use Dropbox.

Well played, sir!
I hadn't even heard of that, that could be useful for a whole lot of other stuff too.

Thanks

MrAjChavez91

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

WHAT!!!! None of you guy know how to do this? ...... Well I do thankfully. Use Dropbox. and just run the game from the dropbox folder, and when stop the server and your friend can then start the server and play.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, (cant say this enuf) DO NOT run the server on both computers at the sametime, IT WILL KILL THE WORDFILES, only one(1) pc can host the server at a time doing this way, and the files can not be bigger then 2GB. as bropbox only has 2GB HHD. but it works it you want to use it.

If you would like me to help you, Join mcr.dasoren.com (its a TeamSpeak3 server) and I could help you.

Wow man you just saved my life. :| But what about lag? i've heard about dropbox and i assume you'de be constantly uploading data and downloading too, wouldn't it 'cause more lag than hosting the server directly from 1 computer only?

Posted Image

Stonerman

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I would think that you'd actually had to pull the serverfiles to your machine before you hosted? I'm not sure if you could actually host from dropbox servers.. But I'm sure dasoren will hook you up.

MrAjChavez91

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostStonerman, on 01 February 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I would think that you'd actually had to pull the serverfiles to your machine before you hosted? I'm not sure if you could actually host from dropbox servers.. But I'm sure dasoren will hook you up.

well, i've been reading and dropbox is constantly in sync. so it's not a problem. also i'll put a link right now to a guide here on Mcforums.

Posted Image

dasoren
    dasoren

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Minecraft: dasoren

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostMrAjChavez91, on 01 February 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Wow man you just saved my life. :| But what about lag? i've heard about dropbox and i assume you'de be constantly uploading data and downloading too, wouldn't it 'cause more lag than hosting the server directly from 1 computer only?

No it does not, Becouse dropbox keep the file in every place, as in: you pc, dropbox servers, and your friends pc. there is not more lag then hosting with our dropbox, and it work just fine. get in my ts3 and we can talk about it, I am on most nights 9pm-3am, and some times in the day time, (when i dont have work)

MCR.Dasoren.com

P.S. if anyone wants to use the TS3 server, fell free to do so, as it is a Free to use TS3 server, 200 slots.

Leckoren Servers

TeamSpeak3 Server: Leckoren.com Join us

MrAjChavez91

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postdasoren, on 02 February 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

No it does not, Becouse dropbox keep the file in every place, as in: you pc, dropbox servers, and your friends pc. there is not more lag then hosting with our dropbox, and it work just fine. get in my ts3 and we can talk about it, I am on most nights 9pm-3am, and some times in the day time, (when i dont have work)

MCR.Dasoren.com

P.S. if anyone wants to use the TS3 server, fell free to do so, as it is a Free to use TS3 server, 200 slots.

Hey man thanks for all the help, i tried using Sugarsync instead of dropbox (sugarsync has more space), but i had to change the ip to mine instead of my friend's, and that's not said in the guides i read yesterday. and it's kinda annoying having to change the ip everytime i wanna host the game, so i guess i need more ideas unless there's a way we don't need to change the ip everytime. :( .

Posted Image

Rilo1335
    Rilo1335

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Can it work on a Mac????

Vortakor
    Vortakor

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostMrAjChavez91, on 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

i need more ideas unless there's a way we don't need to change the ip everytime. :( .
Just a shot in the dark, maybe you could use a dynamic dns service [1] like DynDNS [2], so you may give Sugarsync the DDNS address. While the one of you hosting your MC server is registering his IP at the DDNS provider, the other would connect to the server via the DDNS address. Under [1] you can find links to two lists of DDNS providers.

[1] https://en.wikipedia...iki/Dynamic_DNS
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyndns

But I'm not saying this will work, it's just an idea. :)