Piratebay
    Piratebay

Retired Belgian

• Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 3102 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostPr0ph3t (dpapadam), on 28 January 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

Yeah but have you looked at the threads of these 'rp giants' ? Its ppl having conversation, hey x go on xbox, hey y what's up..

They're doing it on purpose and quite frankly its pathetic. how lamely they circumvent the system
Most of these "RP" posts are not allowed and we will warn for that. Please report it, otherwise it's hard for us to see that! :)

Register or log in to remove.

yanoplosz

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Great list
Where there is love,there is life.

Robertodude

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostPr0ph3t (dpapadam), on 28 January 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

Yeah but have you looked at the threads of these 'rp giants' ? Its ppl having conversation, hey x go on xbox, hey y what's up..

They're doing it on purpose and quite frankly its pathetic. how lamely they circumvent the system

A lot of them are just whitelist applications though and with these servers which get incredibly popular, so the amount of apps just increases like a chain reaction, but if we can stop these conversations I think that it would lower the number of posts on the thread giving other servers a chance.

Pr0ph3t (dpapadam)
  • Minecraft: dpapadam

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostRobertodude, on 28 January 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

A lot of them are just whitelist applications though and with these servers which get incredibly popular, so the amount of apps just increases like a chain reaction, but if we can stop these conversations I think that it would lower the number of posts on the thread giving other servers a chance.

Yeah the applications are fine. But one post for example I saw was like:

added blacksmith..

next post

added store...

lol if I was to do that I'd have like 600 replies on my own thread

When they're hosting events and staying stuff they added to the server stuff like that is understandable. I mean there ARE a lot of minecraft servers so it stands to reason the list will populate quickly
The Great Walrus Minecraft Server (PVP/PVE/MMORPG/MULTIWORLD)
(pr0ph3t.jestservers.com) _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6bZCkqsFk

Keybounce

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

I would like to request that the whole "whitelist postings are permitted" rule be reconsidered/removed.

Asking "Please whitelist me" is nothing more than a bump. It is nothing of interest to anyone except the server admins and the person requesting. Most servers seem to have their own forums if they are big, and if they are not then it can be done by PM's.

For that matter, some of the RP threads were of interest. Canaleth was a great example. Yes, the story may have been hard to follow if you were new to it, but it was a story by the players.

To find that "Please whitelist me" is allowed, but an actual player generated story is not?

Right now, if you try to show all new posts, you'll be flooded by server whitelist requests.
My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
** NEW: FtB "Magic Farm", performance testing and java flags.
My main world: http://www.minecraft...ts-play-series/
"Wait, an update?! Geez, I didn't know we skipped Easter and went straight to Christmas."

iTates
    iTates

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Minecraft: iTater

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

How are we supposed to advertise our servers, then?

uzumi
    uzumi

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Minecraft: uzumi

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

ur not, as far as i can tell server owners can only reply to whitelist apps

Posted Image

Keybounce

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostiTates, on 29 January 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

How are we supposed to advertise our servers, then?

Are you supposed to be able to?

If there are 20,000 minecraft servers, and even 1% of them post a day -- that's slightly more than once per three months -- that's 200 posts a day and the forum is flooded.

So, are you even supposed to be able to freely advertise a server?

What if it was just announcements of major changes? New locations built up and opened for people to explore in. Major changes to the game's internal events. Things like that -- where you might expect to post one to three times a year.

A special section for new startup servers.
A section for established servers that have steady low player counts that want to get new players -- warning, this is basically saying that your server had previously failed and you want people to take another look at something trying to come back from the dead.

Beyond that? Encourage your players to put something in their signature, so that when they post normally people get links to your server thread without your server thread constantly being pushed up to the top for no reason at all.
My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
"Wait, an update?! Geez, I didn't know we skipped Easter and went straight to Christmas."

Confuzzled77

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

I disagree with the absolute no-bumping rule. How then, if no one posts on our topic, do we manage to advertise? We can not bump our post, we can not create a new one..It's supposed to die and never come back? Bumping should be limited, yes, but not completely removed. I can think of no other forum that does not allow bumping at ALL.

:(

Gibbo3771

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

this taking the piss? so i posted my thread and it ends up 3 pages back in 30 seconds and we are not allowed to bump it? lol, makes sense

Piratebay
    Piratebay

Retired Belgian

• Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 3102 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostGibbo3771, on 31 January 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

this taking the piss? so i posted my thread and it ends up 3 pages back in 30 seconds and we are not allowed to bump it? lol, makes sense
Because if everyone bumped it would be 5 seconds instead of 30.

Shredifier

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

In my honest opinion, i think the starting up / looking for server thread should come back, i found it incredibly easy to find a server through asking, or simply reading / applying at some of the servers that would come up.

Now sorting through the 1000+ page servers compared to the servers that some people want to play on (such as vanilla servers with no mods, which i prefer because there simply is too many servers which lack the feel of minecraft anymore) is such a laborious task that i simply sit and press f5 every now and then to have a chance of a good server coming up.

Please, sort this or look into a new was for small servers to get their name out?

Also, bumping shouldn't be allowed in mass, but if a small server with not very much hype wants to become big it needs bumps so it gets seen, can you not be honest and say that a little bumping is always going to happen, just that if it is noticed on a large scale then the infractions should take place?
You should so totally subscribe to me <3

pookshuman

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

there is only one way to get noticed and that is to break the rules. This is how it is and I seriously doubt Curse is going to change that anytime soon. It would simply take too much manpower to respond to every report of bumps or rule breaking and they are not going to put that kind of money into it.

Furthermore, they are not going to ban the larger servers for breaking the rules anyways, they will only do that to smaller guys. This is just how the world works.

Keybounce

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostConfuzzled77, on 30 January 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

I disagree with the absolute no-bumping rule. How then, if no one posts on our topic, do we manage to advertise? We can not bump our post, we can not create a new one..It's supposed to die and never come back? Bumping should be limited, yes, but not completely removed. I can think of no other forum that does not allow bumping at ALL.

:(

First, I know of other "no bumping" forums.
Second, how do you advertise? Well, lets see:
1. You have  signature. You're allowed one link in your sig on these forums. You can talk in other sections, other threads, and let people see you.
2. How often does something special happen on your server? Do your players build stuff? Do they want to show off what they've built, or accomplished? You can post if there's something interesting to post; you just cannot post a pointless post.

View PostShredifier, on 01 February 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Also, bumping shouldn't be allowed in mass, but if a small server with not very much hype wants to become big it needs bumps so it gets seen, can you not be honest and say that a little bumping is always going to happen, just that if it is noticed on a large scale then the infractions should take place?
There is no such thing as small scale. Even if any individual thread is not excessive, with all the large numbers of threads it will be significant in total.

View Postpookshuman, on 02 February 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

there is only one way to get noticed and that is to break the rules. This is how it is and I seriously doubt Curse is going to change that anytime soon. It would simply take too much manpower to respond to every report of bumps or rule breaking and they are not going to put that kind of money into it.

Furthermore, they are not going to ban the larger servers for breaking the rules anyways, they will only do that to smaller guys. This is just how the world works.
Simple: Impose one rule:

Any rule breaking will give you one warning, and then your thread will be locked.

Will immediataely eliminate the problem.

===

People, you need to keep one thing in mind: If everyone wants their server to be seen once a day, then that's 10,000 or so posts a day. *There are too many servers for every server to be seen frequently*.

You have to realize that you probably will get seen once a month to once every 6 months. That's it.

You cannot rely on the server thread for your advertisements.

Your clans have a clan section.
Your builders have a "show off your creation" section.
All your players can post normally, and have a signature link to refer people to your thread.

Good enough?

===

Look at it from the point of view of a person looking at "What server will I play on?". I see a few servers constantly rebumped. I gave up trying to report them. I see tons of "automatic whitelist approval" sites, including some where the admins use whitelist approval to give an additional bump -- so everytime someone wants to play, the thread gets bumped twice.

I cannot see the less busy servers at all.

Take a look at the inactive link in my current signature. (Edit: Just in case, http://www.minecraft...econony-server/ )It's probably one of the few good "Looking for server" threads in the now locked section. Instead of applying to a server and trying to get approved, I'm asking servers to apply for my time. If I'm going to spend 2 years on a server, I want to know that it's worth it -- so I wrote out the questions that are relavent for a real economy server. Instead of trying to spend several days per server per thousands of servers trying to find a good one, I wrote what I was looking for and asked people running servers to respond.

How do you advertise a server? Why not let people say "This is what I want", and you respond with how your server fits that? That's "Looking for server".

But that section was misused, and locked.

Is it time to lock the whole existing server section if the bumping cannot be contained?

===

I think the solution is as follows:
1. No new threads in the existing server sections.
2. New section for new server threads. An absolute "No pointless bumping, no white list applications, only add to your thread when something significant happens on your server, about once every 1-6 months for most servers" rule.
3. Existing server threads can be migrated to the new section if the opening post is updated, and a final "Do not post whitelist apps here -- go to myforum.com instead" post is added.
4. And wait. As less and less is added to the old section, and more and more goes into the new, well-behaved section, then things will sort themselves out.

NiliusJulius
  • Minecraft: NiliusJulius

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

So in order to have your post in a visible spot on this forum now, you will have to make use of whitelisting?

My own server doesn't use whitelisting and so there is no legit reason of posting in the topic, aside from some update messages?
Youtube account with minecraft and lots of other games:
http://www.youtube.c...er/NiliusJulius

Minxs
    Minxs

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Minecraft: Minxs

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

You can say what you want, but it's a shame that the "Starting / Looking for Server"-subforum is closed. It was misused, yeah, but how can starting servers find their builders now?
I posted something less than 5 minutes ago and it's now on page 3.

Starting servers don't stand a chance without bumping once or twice and I'm experiencing that since the "Starting / Looking for Server"-subforum was closed.

As mentioned above, the servers SHOULD actually be sorted out by genre, whitelist and such. That would make life a lot easier and fairer.
,,Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'' - Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

uzumi
    uzumi

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Minecraft: uzumi

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

guys there is a looking for section now. you are allowed to advertise there in the threads that's asking for a server that fits your description

http://www.minecraft...58-looking-for/

Posted Image

Bridzo
    Bridzo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

AWESOME
Click Here To Go To Our Website - Easy Navigation
http://oi41.tinypic.com/w9b1g8.jpg

Shadow_Stunt
  • Minecraft: Shadow_Stunt
  • Xbox:ShadowStunt

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

What if we can't find any of the posts we want?

Add me on Xbox 360!: ShadowStunt

Herogx
    Herogx

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1839 posts
  • Minecraft: Herogx

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I think an option to press a bump button every couple of day's would be nice.Would reduce spam.